Monday, January 28, 2008

Tagged!

I’ve been tagged. Now, it’s very naughty of Reluctant Memsahib to tag me, as she knows full well that I’m on blogging sabbatical. I don’t really like tags, but this one got me thinking, and once I get thinking, wittering is only a small step further on. The tag invites me to witter on about what I’ve been reading, listening to, watching and surfing in the past few days, and I couldn't resist it.

Reading: I’m in a book club, and we’re doing Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Haven’t finished it yet, and can’t decide whether I like it or not. I can see that it is funny and well-written, but you need to have chemistry with a book, as with a person, and I'm not sure it and I have exchanged glances across a crowded room yet. I have also read Just for you, Blue Kangaroo every day, and sometimes more than once a day, since Christmas. It’s just as well I like the story, as 3-yo does, obviously. A lot. A big lot. Considerably more than me, actually. Pity there isn't another one in the series called Enough is enough, Blue Kangaroo.

Listening to: Alas, I hardly listen to anything these days (no Radio 4, you see) apart from the cd of choice in the car, which at the moment is some ghastly Winnie the Pooh compilation. I only ever hear the first track, at the end of which 3-yo insists “that one again, that one again”. On the school run, I claim that it is the boys’ turn, and then we have Radio Disney which is a mind-numbing experience, but I have to take my respite where I can. 'Listening to' is not where it is happening for me in this particular chapter of life.

Watching: I have to confess to watching almost no American tv at all, and because I don’t want to sound smug and superior, 'not wrong, just different' being my philosophy and all, I’d better not go on about it, but really, it isn’t good. I’m sorry, I’m not going to pretend. The only show that Husband and I do enjoy is Family Guy, which is like a ruder and darker version of The Simpsons. Hilarious. On BBC America, I watch Matt Frei giving an hour of news at 9.00pm (it’s like having the old Nine O’Clock News back again – oh joy). I am particularly enjoying the fact that the journalist they’ve sent off to Antarctica to track the Japanese whaling fleet is called Jonah Fisher. Marvellous BBC humour. No-one has made any reference to it, but it's just there as a shared joke. When I think of what I miss from Britain, it all tends to be the lovely gentleness and understatement of the place, like that joke for example. Or leafy green lanes, the fountain-like chatter of ladies meeting in tea shops, the soft colours of bluebells and cow parsely, the fine art of conversing without saying what you mean. Intriguingly, the programmes I enjoy most on BBC America are Top Gear and Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares. But that probably says more about the selection on offer than my homeward yearnings.

Last, but not least, surfing: Well, there are the blogs, of course. I love you all. Then there’s Weatherbug.com, which I like at times of the year when we have extreme weather. Just how hot/cold is it today? In the last week, we’ve had temperatures down to -13 celsius. This actually makes very little difference to life, as buildings and cars are well heated, and you only ever have to walk between them for 30 seconds. Most people wouldn’t actually bother with a coat if they were going to the supermarket. Nonetheless, I like to think that when we return to Britain, and people are complaining of the cold, I’ll be able to be reverse-smug and say “oh yes, well of course we got used to temperatures of -13 celsius when we lived in America.”.

Then there are the news pages, which keep me in touch with world news when I’ve missed Matt Frei at 9 o’clock, or deserted him for recorded Jeremy Clarkson or Gordon Ramsey (sorry, Matt, don’t take it personally). I watched a lot of BBC news online after the BA flight from Beijing crash landed at Heathrow. Plane crashes are always gruesomely fascinating, but I followed the aftermath of this one with particular interest, as I was at primary school with Peter Berkhill, the pilot. I emailed a friend, to ask if it was indeed him, and she confirmed that it was. We pondered together how the names of primary school co-pupils are forever etched on one’s memory (and I know I’ve spelt his name wrong – just don't want to turn up in too many google searches). The story is a little tarnished by the fact that I got excited when I watched the flight crew arrive at the press conference in BA’s headquarters amidst cheering ranks of BA staff, thinking to myself “yes, yes, I recognize him, that’s him, that’s Peter Berkhill, definitely him”, only to discover when they were introduced, that I’d been looking at senior first officer Tom Coward.

I'm passing the tag on to Laurie, Elsie Button, Dumdad and Ms Wiz.

26 comments:

  1. see, here's a reason i love your blog, right here: your writing.

    When I think of what I miss from Britain, it all tends to be the lovely gentleness and understatement of the place, like that joke for example. Or leafy green lanes, the fountain-like chatter of ladies meeting in tea shops, the soft colours of bluebells and cow parsely, the fine art of conversing without saying what you mean.

    so evocative.

    i'll be happy to do these meem. i'm already starting to think....

    ReplyDelete
  2. fountain-like chatter.

    yowser, that's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Iota,

    That's kind of you to think of me for this meme but I don't do memes although I enjoy reading some of them. Yours, for instance.

    (In a post last year I explained why I didn't do memes:
    http://wwwtheothersideofparis.blogspot.com/2007/09/con-meme.html)

    Is American TV really that bad? What about shows like Frazier, The (U.S.) Office, CSI?

    French TV is generally the pits and it's not just a question of language.

    Great story about being at primary school with the airline pilot - and then picking the wrong guy! Coward was his name but not his actions. That incident was SO close to disaster and tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy Clarkson???

    My boys worship him, I haven't quite found the, er, chemistry yet... And one of them thinks Gordon Ramsay is the Prime Minister. Eek!

    Loved these posts, clearly a sabbatical is recharging you, wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie

    As you know I hardly ever reply to comments, but I have to reply to yours. It sums up what I so miss about life in England. I originally wrote that sentence with more than a hint of irony, tongue in cheekness, self-mockery. But then you said you liked it and found it evocative, so I re-read it to myself and found that yes, it does work if you take it straight (just). You just never know with the English. That's what I love about us. We have built a whole way of life on not knowing quite who is being serious about what. It must be so infuriating to everyone else, but it seems to work, and I do love us for it.

    (It's taken me 3 attempts to post this comment without mistakes...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done RC for getting you to post. Now we know what it takes I think you can say we will all be tagging you... And obviously, I am delighted to learn that you tagged Elsie before I got there. (Spot the British understatement...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No! No more tags! I really don't like them terribly - this one just caught me. Must have been in an odd mood. And yes, isn't it odd how we've all tagged Elsie at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you were tagged and teased out of your sabbatical, because it gave me a chance to get to know you a bit better. I really and truly enjoy reading a blog by a British person living in the States and giving an honest opinion on that in a dry witty way. So, please keep doing that. I also could not stand American TV and thought it was loud and empty of meaning, but back then there was no BBC America. I see things have evolved since then. It will be fun to hear about these developments through your blog. See how I am very subtly trying to push you into writing more? I am that kind of woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Iota, it's not a tag, but an award. And it's at my blog. And no, don't worry - you don't have to post about it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have couple of NPR stations here that are an OK substitute for Radio 4. In fact they both have BBC World Service news reports a couple of times a day :-) When my Daughter was a baby she would only let me listen to NPR for 15 minutes at a time though - and then she would scream and scream. Nowadays she often asks me to turn it on. (Avoiding conversation with me? Perhaps, but at least I get to listen to the news!) My son will often ask for me to turn Car Talk on - he hasn't quite figured out yet that not everything on NPR is Car Talk!

    We got an upgrade to our cable TV service specifically so that we could get BBC America, only to discover that Benny Hill almost always seemed to be on at the times of day we wanted to watch TV. AAARGH! Fortunately, they changed their programming shortly afterwards and we are now enjoying Top Gear, Gordon Ramsay, Torchwood and Dr. Who. Top Gear and Torchwood are available on demand, which makes them even better as we can watch them advert-free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When BBC America first came out it seemed to be a constant loop of Changing Rooms. But I also know what you mean about Benny Hill. I think Matt Frei looks an awful lot like the detective on Law and Order SCU? Oh and I listen to Radio 4 a lot through the Internet. BBC Webpage and then radio and then onto Radio 4.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just finished Love in the Time of Cholera and I had a similar feeling about it. I can see that it's clever and well written, but I just wasn't that into it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just moved home after living in London for the past four years. While I was there I found out that I was more 'American' than I realized!!! When I was watched TV there, I was watching more 'American' shows over than I ever did at home. I guess it's a way to stay connected to home. I found myself staying up till 1am to watch Charles Gibson present an american perspective on World News Tonight! The BBC is kind enough to keep the expats in touch with home! Funny enough, here I watch the BBC to feed the 'Britishness' I picked up over there. I have greatly enjoyed reading your blog.... I agree with you, things are not wrong, just different -- regardless of which direction you travel across the atlantic! I wonder what american-ness you will bring back with you!!! Today I got called out when I referred to my resume as my CV and at the moment I am enjoying a delicious Green & Black dark chocolate bar. I say, embrace the best of both worlds!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just moved home after living in London for the past four years. Over there I learned I was more 'American' than I realized!!! When I watched TV there (I only had the 5 basic channels) I was watching more 'American' shows than I ever did at home. I guess it's a way to keep connected to the familiar. I would stay up till 1am to watch Charles Gibson present an american perspective on World News Tonight (I was riveted each night during the Katrina Flood)! The BBC is kind enough to keep the U.S. expats in touch with home! Funny enough, here I watch the BBC to feed the 'Britishness' I picked up over there and to hear the accents and see the faces that have also become familiar to me.

    Thank you for all your anecdotes, I have greatly enjoyed reading your blog.... I agree with you, things are not wrong, just different -- regardless of which direction you travel across the atlantic! I wonder what american-ness you will bring back with you!!! Today I got called out when I referred to my resume as my CV. At this moment I am enjoying a delicious Green & Black dark chocolate bar. I say, embrace the best of both worlds!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, I got Tom and Peter muddled up too! ;-)
    Loved your description of what you miss from England...and i'd forgotten about bluebells (pig burys her snout in her trotters and weeps bitterly)...
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whether you think you're blogging or think you're not blogging, I'm thrilled that you're doing whatever you want to call this.

    I like your meme. And I'm sorry about Winnie the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. but iota i did think it was faintly self-mocking. which is one reason why i loved it. it felt like you were listing quintessentially english things, and realizing what you were saying was almost a cliche. and yet you were sincere, too.

    who knows. i could be so wrong.

    anyway...... i did this meme. and it was fun. thank you for the tag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, I under-rated you, Laurie. I have spent too long talking to people who don't get what I'm on about, you see, and am guilty of tarring the entire North American continent with the same brush.

    Sincere apologies. Will it make it up to you if I say that I now consider you an honorary Englishwoman?

    And you reminded me of the word 'evocative' which is such a lovely word, and I don't use it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i would be honored to be an honorary englishwoman, iota.

    my little brother has traced our lineage somehow to the house of windsor, but i completely doubt him. (we are more irish than english, i think.)

    it charms my mother, though, who is very much an anglophile. my father lectured at the university of nottingham one year when he was on sabbatical. they were there for six weeks.

    my mother still talks about it as "the time they lived in england."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laurie - 6 weeks living in England, not on vacation but working, not eating all your meals in hotels and restaurants, does count as living there in my book - well, compared to being a "this is Tuesday, it must be York" kind of tourist anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Iota

    Hmmm

    you say 'when we return to England'; not an "if"; not a hint of alternative locations (San Fran/NYC/Mexico/Australia)(Saskattchewan); not a maybe, a suggestion that the future has lots of options and surprises - well you'll get them anyway.

    That threatens the disppearance in the long term of the blog, which is unacceptable (the future would indeed be wrong, not different)!

    But as you know from book club, it's easy to read too much into an author's choice of words. Shakespeare used to throw dice or use a word that started with the same letter as one in the line above, I'll bet.

    PS Just finishing Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis, which is awesome, good jaaab about being awesome and having a terrible job/life. Main Street is the next novel, have you read it - does it desribe the Midwest better than anyone else ?


    Write on !

    Charlesinparis defeated by the posting technology

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the strange thing. We watch many American TV shows here in England but when we are in America they seem rubbish! Why is that? I guess the jewels are hidden in the general blandness of news reporting, chat shows etc.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just popped in to see if you're writing again....

    You wouldn't like to write for me, would you? Particularly slanted towards 'what I miss about the UK'.
    You have it in a nutshell!

    I, too, remarked rather loudly and enthusiastically about Jonah Fisher. I, too, watch Top Gear and Matt Frei and miss Radio 4. Oh, and rivetted to the BA thing; can't claim to know the crew though.

    Sadly I listen to Steve Wright - Radio 2 - online. Reminds me of the interminable school runs in the UK.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete