Sunday, December 30, 2007

Enthusiasm: Part II

Where was I? Ah yes. Lost and alone on a sea of unembarrassed enthusiasm, without the raft of irony to cling onto... Doesn't sound good - I'd better not leave me there too long.

When one is shipwrecked, one has to make use of the scarce resources to hand, and thus it was that I began to investigate enthusiasm, to see if I could put it to any useful purpose. I noticed that my children came home from school with teachers’ comments reading “woo-hoo, 10-yo, this is AWESOME work!”, or “6-yo, I am so PROUD of how hard you tried on this - way to go!”, and seeing their faces light up with pride. I began to wonder how they would cope with a return to the “good effort” or “nice work” crumbs that they would be thrown by British teachers.

Then I noticed that even adults dealing with adults feel able to say things about themselves and each other that are affirming and positive and, well, rather, um, uncomfortable and embarrassing and, let’s face it, jolly unBritish. Then after a while, since you can get used to pretty much anything, I began to feel that this is actually quite nice (in a reserved kind of repressed way). The zenith came when I got together with 3 other women to form a book club. We had a great evening, partly discussing the book, mostly discussing life, and the next morning, there was a little flurry of emailing. It was effusive. There were superlatives. I was told I was “adorable”. Email, of course, is very forgiving, and in the privacy of my own home, I was able to shuffle about in my chair, look at the ceiling, breathe deeply and recite the words of God save the Queen to restore my equilibrium. I wrote a reply, matching their effusive excitement: “Thanks so much for your emails. It wasn’t a bad evening at all, was it?”

Maybe I’ve just been here too long, but you know, I can’t help feeling that the Americans might have got hold of something. I wonder what it is like in the other direction. How on earth does it feel to an American moving to England? Dour, cynical, repressed, gloomy? To them I say, you should try living in Scotland. No, no, I'm only joking.

You see, here in Home on the Range, there's a line that goes 'seldom is heard a discouraging word'. You get to Britain, and it's the brutal opposite. The newspapers are discouraging, the discussion in the office is discouraging, the chat at the school gate is discouraging. We don’t see it like that. We see it as self-consciously amusing, wittily detached. We think Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Ross, Private Eye. We look on the Americans as a nation of adults who’ve never quite grown out of childhood, but I’m beginning to wonder if the British are a nation of adults who haven’t entirely left their teenage years behind. We’re so keen (in a totally uninterested way, of course) to be cool, to be unimpressed. Perhaps it’s not as clever as we think.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of sitting on the fence with a foot in each camp. Fundamentally I am a Brit. My Brit foot is a size 6, and it’s a laconic foot in a painfully elegant cashmere sock, draped languidly over the fence in a self-deprecating gesture, an ironic reference to post-modernist foothood.

But my Yank foot, a size 8½, is learning to wiggle its toes in an unembarrassed manner. I dread to look, as I think it might be clad in one of those socks with individual toes, in bright stripes or spots. It might even be in team colours. It's enjoying itself, and it isn't going to apologise for that. It's pursuing happiness, and that's its right. Nothing to be ashamed of there. I’ve just thought of something else. Oh no. It probably understands the offside rule, and if not held in check, will soon start offering to explain it to other feet.

Hm. Time to do the patent Iota litmus test of enthusiasm. Close my eyes, picture an old friend of mine who used to render a roomful of the rest of us helpless with laughter by his description of an 'enthyoosiast'. Re-run in my memory that perfectly honed timing and pronounciation. Yup. Still has me rolling around in my imaginary seat. Phew. Still on the right side of the fence then. That’s a relief. Though nothing to get too excited about, of course.

22 comments:

  1. Iota, you're back! Happy Christmas/New Year and all that mallarkey.
    Enthusiasm is an absolutely brilliant and wonderful, nay adorable, trait - and I won't have a word said against it. The Americans do it larger and louder than us, but there's nothing like being gently enthused in a quiet, insistent, polite and sweetly sarcastic way - the modus operandi perfected by the British.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  2. For so many reasons I loved this post!

    And don't you hate the shoe size thing? We're the same size and to this day I hate to buy 8.5 - it makes me feel like I have canoes for feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Iota. But please - those socks with toes in make me feel rather ill (in a typically British understated way, you understand). Please, ask that foot to clothe itself a little more demurely in future? One must have standards, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoe sizes?
    My feet are wider than they are long!
    I did have a jolly marvellous surprise with my funky new pink wellington boots (oh how British I am!).
    I had to have smaller ones because I think they are deisgned to flatter the fatter footed farmey wifey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you. You are just DARLING with those INCREDIBLY stylish feet and that CHARMING reserved nature of yours. I just ADORE you and your WONDERFUL observations about American life...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loved this - and laughed too much to myself and fell off the chair - luckily I work from home so have not embarrassed myself - much!
    It explains so much - perhaps I will have a better understanding of my Vermontese step-in-laws when they come to stay in May!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to give you another year. Something tells me you may have fallen onto the other side of the fence by then.

    And you'll just straighten out your toe socks and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've brilliantly (honestly!) pinned down for me a crucial reason my South African husband has always felt so miffed in England. It's probably a major reason for our recent move to France, and why we now find ourselves happily adrift in another culture. I suspect the French are even cooler than the Brits, but hey, he isn't going to find that out for a while yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just doing my usual popping in just on the off chance - and there were several new posts from you - what a treat! haven't read them yet, but am about to right now yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, very good. I think you're in an enviable position actually with that cashmere clad foot dangling off the fence - best of both worlds.

    Yes, I agree Brits are too negative but like you, they can be very funny with it. Take away the humour though and yikes!! It's Daily Mail land, doom and gloom all about...

    Keep it up old bean, love your insights :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite myself - and that takes a fight, believe me - I found myself rather liking the idea of being called 'adorable' by fellow book club members, even though I suspect it would happen only if I dressed myself up as a giant donut and dredged myself in icing sugar. Still, one to contemplate when we're stuck on Thomas Hardy. Are you sure they're not all taking drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  12. but, but, you're still here! And you've been writing reams! I loved this post, especially the socks on either side of the fence. (individual toes would be so wrong). Really jolly good to have you back old chap, have a blahdy good new year!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's back and funnier than ever

    Excellent raw (rah ?) material, mind you...

    Happy 2008 Bigfoot

    C in P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just dropping by to say a quick hello and happy new year. I'll return tomorrow when I have more time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey, thanks for your comments on my blog.

    i now understand why some people (you included) rarely answer comments!

    i never felt like a stalker on your site, because you did answer me on occasion, and you did visit my site, too. so no worries.

    i'm always glad to see you pop around and please don't ever feel obligated to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hooray, hooray, hooray; you're back, how fabulous, so missed you. (that's american).

    nice to see you back (british).

    but despite myself have to grin as I say it! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enthusiasm is infiltrating the South East too. Enthusiastic thank you texts flowed into my phone following my Mulled Wine and Mince pie soirée before Xmas. I was a bit surprised at first - and blushed Britishly but it was really nice to know that people enjoyed themselves and now I am developing the habit too. I sometimes think British reserve needs breaking down a bit, there's not much wrong in telling someone you had a great time - your more likely to get invited back after all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am enthusiastic in my American praise of your humor and hilarity. I am laughing out loud reading this post, I love it! It helps me better understand my good friends who happen to also be English.

    I grew up in Chicago, and from the tender age of 13 or so, watched Monty Python's Flying Circus weekly with my family. it saved my childhood in some big ways, as I never fit in well where I grew up. Monty Python helped me understand that it was OK to make fun of all that.

    Oh yes, aren't they British or something...?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not to be all British and gloomy, well, okay, just a little bit, but do people really mean all this stuff? Or is hyperbole just considered polite? I have American in-laws - and when you take all the guff and verbiage away, they're not so very different from us. Not really. Oh, and I bet any book club with you in it really was ace - I'd love to sit around and talk books with you, Iota.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stumbled over here via Rotten Correspondent, and I love your writing! You are AWESOME! (See? I'm working on being more expressive and complimentary toward people because I'm a bit repressed myself, and I'm American. How did I do?)

    My mother-in-law is British, but she's lived here in America for over 40 years now. She's still very British in some ways, but I can't even imagine her as dour, cynical, and repressed. So, if you stay long enough you never know what could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, so true - and I have been here 17 years! I moved to the south first, where they say "Bless your heart" instead of calling you adorable. You still get the impression that you are being patronized though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Iota -

    Lovely analysis. However, this is my own take on the subject of trans-Atlantic enthusiasm: we, Americans have to be louder (i.e., sheer volume, bolding letters, use of emoticons, lots of exclamation marks, etc.)to compete with your innate grasp of the English language and your incredible ability to use it (like, duh, it came from over there!!)

    So blow off housework, homework help and bedtime routines to make sure you get time in front of the computer 'cause we all just love your stuff -- keep writing!

    ReplyDelete