Sunday, December 30, 2007

Enthusiasm: Part I

Enthusiasm. I’ve thought a lot about enthusiasm over the past year. That’s because there’s a lot of it about over here. Americans are so unembarrassed about it, and you know what? I’ve come to admire that. I know, I know, it’s all very unBritish, and don’t think I can’t see you, over the Atlantic, wincing a little and gripping your shoulder blades together, and thinking “oh Iota, no, please not”.

It’s not cool, is it? Enthusiasm. It means celebrating your kids’ achievements publicly (dreadful), or being proud of what and who you are (ghastly), or telling people all about your favourite occupation and why you enjoy it (anorak). I have to say, however, that having experienced rather more of it in the past year than I am used to, I can see it does have a lot of upside.

My study of the enthusiasm phenomenon started when I went to 10-yo’s first soccer match of the season. I was horrified. All those parents cheering the team on, and seeming to mind very much how they did. I mean really mind. Not just showing up and being supportive in a generally parental way. I mean running up and down the sidelines and shouting encouragement. I guess this happens in Britain too. We hadn’t quite reached that stage before we left, so I asked my brother in Sussex, who has soccer-playing children. He said “yes, I’m afraid people do get rather keen, but just shout “go deep” every now and again, and you’ll be fine”. Yet in spite of his advice and this evidence of the existence of enthusiasm on the south coast of England, I couldn’t help feeling that somehow this unapologetic eagerness and commitment was something of a different animal in America.

I tested out another mum, by making a conspiratorial comment about not understanding the offside rule. Now, women do not understand the offside rule. That is just how it is, as any self-respecting member of the sex will tell you. They are not biologically designed to. It’s to do with hunting and gathering, or staying in the cave, and superior non-understanding DNA being passed into the gene pool. It’s been scientifically proved. So imagine my horror when the other mum said “oh don’t worry, you just have to see it in operation a few times, and then you’ll get it, but actually FIFA have just brought in a new ruling which has nuanced it a little”. Now that really wasn’t cricket at all. Here I was, having left family and home to start a new chapter in another continent, and I couldn’t even make a connection using the most fundamental of womanly bonds. I diagnosed a case of over-enthusiasm, but worse was to come.

There was another mother there who said she had been at the soccer field on Saturday AND Sunday. When I joked about “beyond the call of duty”, she said, straight-faced, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world”. That was the moment I realized I was adrift. Lost and alone on a sea of unembarrassed enthusiasm, without the raft of irony to cling onto. That was a bad moment.

To be continued…

6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud - I can see both sides of this so clearly - something I expect really only happens if you've been on both sides of the pond!

    I am working up to unabashedly saying 'I love you' to Miss E, when I drop her off to Preschool, just as all the other moms do - haven't quite got there yet - isn't that so sad?

    By the way - she very much copped a case of the 'realisation blues' into which you gave me great insight a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think we're just louder, in general, about our feelings. being a minnesotan--a state mostly populalted by norwegians--i'm more accustomed to stoicness and quiet. but even minnesota norwegians are louder about their success and achievements and also louder about their anger and frustrations than the average brit, i think.

    i admire stoicism and stiff upper lip and restraint.

    but i fear at a game you will see me hollering on the sidelines with great enthusiasm

    looking forward to the rest of your observations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ten years into soccer and I still have mega trouble with offsides,too. If that makes you feel any better, which I suspect it doesn't.

    We are loud quite a lot of the time and (in my opinion anyway) frequently obnoxious about it. I don't think that's limited to Americans, but we sure are poster children for it.

    I love the way you look at things. Have I said that before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, the offside rule... My most embarrassing tangle with that was when playing my first hockey game in some time, and I had forgotten all about it. I couldn't understand why the goal I had scored was disallowed. Offside rule? What offside rule, I asked...

    But don't worry Iota - I was not enthusiastic about that goal. Not in the slightest. That would have been much too uncool... Which was a shame, because in the following 8year hockey career , I never scored another. So maybe a little enthusiasm might have been a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - that is the type of comment I would have made too.....don't leave us hanging too long for the next installment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parental enthusiasm - hmm, I know, I know. Yes, Britain is much the same I reckon. Personally I favour a quiet mutter of "well done darling". But then, I'm not really sporty :)

    My boys do judo and the parents at those competitions are aahsome!! "Bring him down! Get him! Kill him!..." (Shudder). Actually, we avoid competitions as much as possible now, although after a point they have to attend them in order to grade.

    But saying that, enthusiasm in general, is a good thing isn't it? I shall have to read your Part 11 to be enlightened!!

    ReplyDelete