Sunday, June 24, 2007

Burger Bash

This has been a busy week-end at the neighborhood pool. On Friday night, there was a Burger Bash, which we attended. On Saturday, there was a Midnight Swim, which would have involved either organising a babysitter or dealing with very tired children for the rest of the week-end. Neither seemed worth the effort, so we passed on that one. Then tonight, there was a Jazz Evening planned, but it's been cancelled this afternoon, or postponed at any rate, "due to unforeseen circumstances".

The Burger Bash was fun. It involved burgers, hot dogs, baked beans, salads, a big range of desserts, and swimming. Very pleasant. Life always looks up at the neighborhood pool. Sitting on a lounger under a sun-shade, burger in hand, happy children cavorting in the water, I watched the Stars and Stripes fluttering gently in the breeze above me and thought "well, I wouldn't be doing this in Scotland. Not if I valued my extremities."

I haven't been persuaded into purchasing a two-piece swimsuit, but I have bought a squaw dress. I'm not sure if I should call it a squaw dress. I haven't worked out the pc issues and vocabulary relating to Native Americans, except that I know I'm meant to call a buffalo a bison. So maybe I shouldn't say squaw dress, but I don't know what else to call it. It’s a shift dress, black with big, striking, blue and purple flowers, and tassels round the bottom. I feel it is a bit short for someone of my advanced years, but Midwesterners are very casual, so I can probably get away with it (and my legs are better than my midriff). It is suitably 60's for the pool scene. I also feel a bit more respectable wandering home through the neighborhood with a squaw dress over my swimsuit, than with a towel wrapped insecurely round my waist. I like it, and anyway, it was on the reduced rail at Wal-Mart.

I think my friend Fran would be pleased with me. She says she doesn't mind me quoting her in my blog, so long as I don't call her 21-yo (actually, she isn't, but you get the idea). In fact, Fran put her finger on something rather important (must be all that leafing through the Boden catalogue that gives you super-accurate fingers). I told her I was thinking I should acquire some hippy 60's gear for the pool, and she emailed back "Go you! Join the film set. Life's too short to observe from the wings." This is, I think, the very heart of the ex-pat condition. Can I ever truly be part of the action? And do I want to be? It certainly feels rather safer to be on the film crew side of the camera, but I think Fran is right. It's more fun to be an extra. Specially if you get a great costume like a squaw dress.

11 comments:

  1. OK, so your neighborhood pool posts are making me awfully nostalgic here!

    The term "squaw dress" has me absolutely rolling with laughter... I love it. But you might want to call it a "pool cover up" among the politically correct crowd. :) Now all you need is a tankini and you'll fit right in with the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the film set analogy. I really do know how you feel

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter lives in Canada, BC, and they are very aware of the PC mode of address! It is always 'First Nations People' and woe betide anyone who forgets it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking cover up is right, although squaw dress is quite funny, even if the Lenape in me did wince a little.

    Glad you are enjoying the pool. If you can imagine, it will get even hotter soon. Even a pool sometimes does not make August bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffalos and Bisons are the same? I thought they were different animals....I have a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your warnings about the un-pc "squaw dress". Very timely indeed, since someone admired it on me just this afternoon. Instead of saying "aren't these squaw dresses just the thing for the pool?" I just smiled sweetly and thanked her for the compliment. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did manage a wigwam at the Edinburgh Treefest a couple of weeks ago, no squaw dresses, but since then it's been waterproofs and cardis pretty much all the way. So enjoy the pool, enjoy the weather and enjoy your squaw dress - or should I say 'pool cover-up'. ps - what's a 'tankini'? Might I have one in my wardrobe and not know it...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tankini, so called because it's designed for women who are built like a tank, is a bikini but the top is a sort of cropped vest. Actually I believe the name comes from the idea that it's a bikini with a tank top (remember tank tops?). Personally I prefer a one-piece, which gives the same effect, but there's no danger of accidental midriff exposure, and more in the way of lycra to hold you in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's the second time this week I've been called 21! Full marks to my new, very expensive, face cream...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Fran on this - life is too short, carpe diem, wear the squaw dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes it's a great analogy. I peered out from the wings in my time, but didn't take to the stage.

    One thing that does do though is allow you to come home with fewer complications.

    ReplyDelete