Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A bird, a beer and a birthday

There are three moments which have pulled at my home-heartstrings in the past few days. The first was when a seagull, a single bird, flew over our neighborhood pool. It must have been very lost. We are 650 miles from the nearest sea if you head south, over 1,300 if you head east (as my thoughts do).

The second happened when I was browsing the blogosphere. I came across a reference to the Poltimore Arms. This is a small pub in a remote location on Exmoor. It is a very pleasant spot. I haven't been there for at least 10 years, so I couldn't exactly say it was a part of my everyday pre-Midwest life, (unlike seagulls, which were). In fact, I never thought about it. But I am thinking about it now, and it is a long, long way away.

The third moment came when I was standing in Dillons (the Waitrose of supermarkets here, and very nice) choosing a birthday card for my younger brother's 40th birthday. There is something wrong about sending a 40th birthday card half a world away to your younger brother. Not wrong, just different? No. I'm sorry. This one is wrong, just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment