Friday, June 22, 2007

A sad day

I seem to be obsessed, blog-wise, with the wildlife in my back yard. I don't quite know why this is. I suppose school holidays and summer do tend to push you out into the back yard, and there's not all that much that is interesting to write about inside the house. There are rooms, and they are filled with our furniture.

I thought the back yard was coming good on the wildlife front. Fireflies good, mosquitoes bad. Glorious red trumpet vine good, odd-looking fungus bad. I think I'd started seeing it in terms of a scorecard. Fireflies good - fifteen love. Mosquitoes bad - fifteen all. Trumpet vine good - thirty fifteen. Fungus bad - thirty all. You get the idea. I had a feeling that I was winning, or at least getting the upper hand.

I asked someone round to help me learn about the plants, and she came yesterday, gave me loads of helpful information and left me some gardening books to borrow. She told me where to buy a large long-sleeved smock-like garment (a smock, in fact) impregnated with insect repellent, which I can keep by the back door and put on whenever I go outside. I got all excited about the potential of the place. I was planning a triumphant blog entry (perhaps with pictures) about our lovely back yard. I was going to tell you my clever anti-mosquito strategies, the beautiful birds, the squirrels (including Poor-tail, the one who is easily identifiable by his half-missing appendage), and the crowning glory, our little tame rabbit. How lovely to have a tame rabbit in the garden (see how at this point I lapse from the back yard into the garden again). How surprising, given that our predecessors had two cats. He looked like a wild rabbit, but we live right in the middle of the city - where had he come from? He was tame enough that he would not move away until you approached very near. It was easy to get within 4 feet of him. I had set the children the project of trying to get him to eat a leaf from their hands by the end of the summer. We had put out carrots and celery and a bowl of water. I loved that rabbit. He had become our rabbit.

You know where this is going. It was 6-yo who found him. "The rabbit has died. At least I think it's dead. It's got a purple eye." He was right. It was dead, and it did have a purple eye. No other signs of cause of death. Flies already closing in. The children are remarkably philosophical. They are sure that they WOULD have managed to get him eating out of their hands by the end of the summer (although on the evidence of the amount of time and patience they had for the task, I silently doubt it). They agree with me that he died probably as a result of eating something poisonous, that he didn't die a horrible death, just had a poorly tummy and went to sleep, and that it was nice that he had come right up to the house to die - he must have wanted to be near us. I used to opportunity to reiterate the rule about not putting anything from the garden in your mouth (3-yo is a worry on this front, at that age where it is funny to do naughty things, or be about to do them, she has been deliberately putting leaves in her mouth and coming to show me - I don't think she'll be doing that any more. Sorry, rabbit, but I couldn't help using you as a cautionary tale).

I was telling yesterday's gardening friend how I had been surprised by how hostile (a word I apologised for in advance of using) the environment here is, and how that seemed to make such a difference to daily life. I had never truly appreciated how very gentle a country Britain is, in terms of climate and countryside. She understood, and then put it very eloquently: "Here, we do have to try harder and take more steps in order to live happily alongside nature". I know in the grand scheme of things, the death of one rabbit doesn't amount to much. He did, however, make our home here feel a bit friendlier, a bit softer round the edges, a bit less hostile (there, I've said it).

Today it definitely feels like Advantage Back Yard.

7 comments:

  1. Really sorry about the bunny.

    At least you're getting to spend time outdoors. We're still waiting for summer to arrive in Scotland. And waiting. And waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a shame. A nasty surprise for the kids and you. I suppose you're taking a kind of walk on the wild side living there. Compared to the UK where the only problems are foxes (and their hideous poo) and blooming squirrels, it must be a culture shock and I know I'd feel the same.

    Do you have older neighbours to gain wisdom/support from? I'm looking forward to the triumphant blog entry, with lovely pictures by the way.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, that's a hard one, isn't it? i'm so sorry. but please don't take it as a sign. we DO have a more hostile view toward nature--we tend to want to "conquer" it, for some odd reason. but nature is resilient.

    i love seeing nature in the city--a reminder to me that what is now urban once was wild.

    we have lots of egrets in our neighborhood (we live near a lake), and way too many rabbits, and some big waddling furry thing that might be a groundhog.

    my favorite, though, was a wild turkey that lived one summer near the freeway by our house. i'd see him every evening when i drove home from work. like your rabbit, the turkey died--hit by a car--and like your rabbit, he had humans who mourned him.

    people who drove the same stretch of road started putting up little signs. "where's the turkey?" and answers "killed on hwy 280."

    so in the sadness of the turkey's death, we found a little bit of community.

    i wish the same for you.

    (ps i really like this blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my rabbit died - I was about 10 or so. It was horrible. But I think animals dying is a good way for kids to learn to deal with death - so perhaps a silver lining?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the rabbit. Sounds grim. Poor rabbit. Poor you and the children. Perhaps something good will come of it if bunny's fate deters your three-year-old from eating dodgy shrubs. I suppose the UK climate is much gentler - but don't forget, we have to contend with seagulls, swooping avian predators who scavenge without mercy. Edinburgh streets are rank with rubbish they've ferreted out of black bin bags and strewn everywhere and anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Iota,
    Sorry to hear about the poor Bunnie, I adore them and have several pictures of them on my wall. Looking out the window early this morning, I could see three tiny little ones, my fear is that they will not survive because of being too near the road, or that a stray cat may get them. I am so interested in Wildlife, and love to hear the diferent sounds of the birds chirping.
    Camilla.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my older children were very little a bunny made a nest in our back yard. When hubby mowed for the first time, he ran it over and the mother bunny abandoned them. I picked up the three babies, put them in a box and found wild animal rescue on the internet. I met her in a parking lot and handed them over to be properly cared for. The children were quite upset by the whole thing. It wasn't long before there was another rabbit family inhabiting our back yard. I would bet you'll have another soon.

    ReplyDelete