Sunday, June 17, 2007

An experiment in empathy

In my last entry, I talked about the way we build up day-to-day knowledge over the years. How knowledge is mixed in with experience, and beaten into shape by frequent use. How as a newcomer to a situation, we can get an off-the-shelf knowledge product, but how that just isn't an equivalent.

I wondered if this would feel the same to an American woman arriving in the UK. So I tried an experiment. Try it with me, if you will.

Imagine you have moved to some rural corner of England, and you have nettles in the wild space at the bottom of the garden. Your child tries to pick one and gets stung. You ring a friend, and she says "oh nettle rash, don't worry about that. Just get a dock leaf and rub the juice on, or, um, I think it's bicarbonate of soda that's meant to help, or is that for wasp stings? I can never remember. Anyway, don't worry, it'll go in a few hours."

These Brits, you are thinking to yourself at this point, they're so vague. And dock leaves? What is this? The Dark Ages?

So you google "nettles", and you find an entry in Wikipedia where you get a picture of a limb covered in a rash. See it there on the right hand side? Not very pretty. Then you go to NHS Direct which you think will be fairly authoritative. As you read the article on nettle rash, you very quickly start learning about acute urticaria, chronic urticaria, and within a paragraph or two, you are into angioedema, which can cause swelling of the lining of the mouth, the windpipe and, in men, the genitals. Click down to the “treatment” section, and you see it mentions nothing about dock leaves (which you’re kind of relieved about, as this would only confirm your darkest anxieties about the NHS), but you find it talks about steroids, their side-effects, and emergency hospital treatment if breathing becomes severely affected. See what I mean. You’ve gone from a small patch of itchy hives to emergency hospital treatment in a few minutes, and you’re adrift.

You might also remember having heard about nettle tea. You want to understand as much as you can about this obsession with tea which is such a part of the British life, so while you're on the subject, you have a go at googling that. Why on earth would anyone risk stings, hives, swelling of the genitals and possibly emergency hospital treatment for a cup of tea, when you can buy several different brands at the supermarket? Your search doesn't bring much enlightenment. One of the first Google results for nettle tea tells you that "nettle tea [isn't] better than regular black tea, it's just different".

Not better, just different.

.

11 comments:

  1. That's a good blog, and I see what you mean. You really ought to announce your blogs on the blog announcement page so more people are aware of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what US-equivalent of nettles have you come across? Don't they have nettles over there?

    It's much safer in Blighty, is it not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mutterings, I was buying some anti-histamine cream for my bites, and reading the sides of tubes was quite an education. It seems there is poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. I suppose I should look these up, and be armed with the knowledge of how to identify them, but the way I'm feeling at the moment, I'd rather keep my head in the sand. The cream is in the medicine cabinet, so that's enough for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. baking soda and water makes a paste that helps take the sting out of bee stings and nettle stings. (and yes, we have nettles here, too.)

    hot water helps too.

    i enjoyed this post. i bet there are a lot of things you're encountering here in the american midwest that are just as baffling to you as nettle tea would be to me.

    and faith--what's the blog announcement page?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard there's a shortage of Dock leaves, and I certainly find it hard to locate any whenever my kids brush up against nettles.
    Mind you, the search distracts them from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief! I'm nearly two years into our time here in Scotland and I still wouldn't know a nettle - unless it stung me of course.

    I'm all for the 'ignorance is bliss' and 'necessity is the mother of invention' school of travel. I'm from Africa after all, thinking too hard about what lurks beneath the bushes there could cause major neuroses. That said, I can identify most of the real nasties - a skill built up over many years and made so much more bearable for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, a few hours is a bit vague. Usually it's a few minutes isn't it?

    Intersting angle. I look forward to more foibles revealed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an American finishing my 2nd year in England and I laughed and laughed as I read through your blog. One of my favorite first memories of England is my husband shouting down the phone at the BT representative something to this effect: "If you weren't a monopoly, I'd take my business elsewhere!!!" Not wrong, just different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Anonymous, you may think your husband was ranting at British inefficiency, but he was in fact taking a major first step towards becoming like an Englishman. We all love to hate BT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was in England I needed some artificial sweetener for my husband's coffee. We were in Windsor and I was on foot, so I didn't have a lot of options. I tried a drugstore and the Marks and Spencer and a handful of other stores, but I never did find any. He had to make do with sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good o ld dock leave - my mum used to slap them on almost anything.
    I use After Bite - The Itch Eraser which I buy in a drug store in US for bites - it is wonderful and really really works.

    ReplyDelete