Sunday, May 27, 2007

Heat

It was with some horror that I read the policies of the YMCA, where my sons, 6-yo and 9-yo (although by then he will be 10-yo) are doing summer camps. Camps, I have discovered, don't have to be residential, or indeed have anything to do with camping or the outdoors. You can do soccer camp, science camp, even chess camp. A camp can last all day, or just a couple of hours. I have redefined my understanding of the word.

The YMCA camps involve team games, swimming, jollity and general fun. As far as I can tell. The policy that horrified me was the following:

"Physical activity is limited when the heat index reaches 100 degrees fahrenheit. Children will remain indoors when the temperature is 102 degrees or above, with the exception of pool activities."

What? You mean you will be taking my children outside to play dodge-ball or flush-tag or soccer when the temperature is 99 degrees? You will let them go swimming in an outdoor pool when it is over 102 degrees? I am horrified.

My thoughts turn to the community of American families where we lived in Scotland. Were they equally horrified when we wrapped our little ones up in fleeces and raincoats and wellies and sent them out to play in the grey windy drizzle of a Scottish winter? Did they whisper to each other "I'm not letting MY child go out in this" and find some excuse to stay in? Or did they, as I will do, take what precautions they could, trust in the resilience of children, and hold fast to the logic that if thousands of local children are alright in these conditions year after year, then mine will surely be alright too?

1 comment:

  1. There's also the other meaning of 'camp' that the Village People (not very) kindly gave to the YMCA.

    This Word Verification is getting annoying.

    ReplyDelete