Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Having a Field Day

It was Sports Day at school last week. They don't call it Sports Day here. They call it Field Day. This is very reassuring to the Brits amongst us (me and one other mum). It's good to know you'll have a field day whatever happens.

I have to confess I wasn't really looking forward to it. When the PE teacher, or "Coach" as he is, started the proceedings with a megaphone, asking "Is everyone feeling good?" and of course everyone was, vocally at least, my heart did sink. I am so British. There was another downward sinking movement when the loudspeakers, which had been putting out rather jolly mood-lifting music (Celebrate Good Times, Come On, da da da da, da, da da da daa, oooh hooo), was turned into a field-wide karaoke. Children doing karaoke. Not good. Not mood-lifting.

Apart from the karaoke, it was, however, surprisingly enjoyable. I was in charge of the javelin event. Kids would come up in pairs. One would launch a polystyrene noodle through the air, and I got their partner to stick a little flag in the ground where the noodle landed. The noodles had a weighted end, but no spike, which was just as well, as I did have a couple of direct hits on partners.

I tried to relate in an American sort of a way to the kids. This means remembering not to say "well done!", but "good job!" I said "good job!" with pretty much every noodle. Of course you have to put on a bit of an American accent for the duration of the phrase. If you say "good job" in clipped southern English, it sounds very unenthusiastic. You have to lengthen it into "jaaaab", giving you enough time to add in a bit of vigour and excitement. I find it rather expressive, and confess I have come worryingly close to preferring it to "well done".
The best moment of the day was when one little girl said to me "I've heard your voice before - in a movie" (she obviously wasn't fooled by the "good jaaabs"). I could have explained that I have an English accent because I'm English. But I didn't. I couldn't resist replying in an enigmatic tone, "Ah. Maybe I'm a movie star." I hope I made it a real field day for her.

1 comment:

  1. Me again. Good job with the field day, and with getting yourself involved so soon in your time there.

    Forgot to say in previous comment that it's an ideal time to blog when all things are going on, or not going on, because there's so much choice of content.

    Don't be surprised to get several comments in the course of my reading, though I won't comment on all - it seems false, somehow, to say something every time, simply because you feel you have to. Which I don't, so won't.

    As for trying to support kids in an American accent, try doing it in a different language - they catch on much quicker then that you're not a local!

    ReplyDelete