Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Heat (2)

Aha! Further enlightenment on attitudes to weather (see below: Heat ).

The newsletter from our neighborhood pool informs me that "inclement weather may necessitate early closure or delayed opening of the facility". Fair enough. Wonder what counts as inclement weather. Read on. "Such conditions may include heavy or persistent rain, air temperatures below 70 degrees, lightning and severe storm warnings." Wait a moment. What was that temperature? 70 degrees?

In my experience, 70 degrees is often the high point of a British seaside holiday. But to the Midwesterner, 69 degrees is too cold for your children to swim outdoors, and is on a par with lightning and severe storm warnings. I really should have been kinder to Midwesterners in Scotland, especially during the summer months. They were living on the edge.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, thank you. As a Midwesterner in Scotland, I was, indeed living on the edge! I carried a jacket with me all summer long. And when family came to visit in June one summer, their presence and talk of the Scottish weather made me painfully aware of how terribly cold it was, and I was overcome with an intense longing for the wonderful heat of summer in the Midwest--the blisteringly hot summer sun beaming down. Ummm . . . I love it! Hope we get some really hot days soon!

    ReplyDelete