Monday, February 18, 2013

Oh, Hector

I've been asking Husband for ages if he could help me fix the Lindam gate (for "help me fix", read "fix") that we have between the kitchen and the utility room, so that I can leave the house without Hector free-roaming in the kitchen. Husband fixed the gate yesterday. So this morning, you would think that I would leave Hector in the utility room, with the gate shut. You would think.

But old habits die hard, and I didn't. When I came home from Sainsbury's, this was the scene that greeted me.

I still haven't worked out how he got the packet down from the table, since I'd carefully tucked the chairs in and moved everything away from the sides. There have been two occasions when I've been puzzled by a pair of my gloves appearing in his crate. Both times, I was sure I'd left the gloves on the table, but had concluded that I must have dropped them, or left them somewhere in reach. I couldn't believe that Hector could have got up onto a chair, wriggled round to get up onto the table, tidily selected the most interesting item without disturbing the rest of the selection on offer, and got back down again. But with this morning's event providing a new piece of the detective jigsaw, I conclude that that is exactly what he did. (Unless he can jump straight onto the table from the floor, which I suppose is another possibility.)

And just in case you want to leap to his defence, I have photographic evidence of his guilt.


I think that's conclusive proof. Caught red-pawed, wouldn't you agree?

For the eagle-eyed among you, yes, someone in the family had edited the front of the cereal packet, to read "Special Kat". Do you think that's why Hector couldn't resist the temptation?

Thank heavens for Dysons. That's the moral of the story. But before I go, I must just share one rather revolting detail with you. When I found him, Hector was acting in a slightly deranged way. He was rearing up on his back legs, Pudsey-style, stroking and batting at the sides of his jaw with both front paws. He was licking his lips and throwing his head around, and it became obvious to me that there was something stuck in his mouth. On investigation, I found a great cloying wad of Special Kat, mashed together and compressed onto the roof of his mouth. I suppose evolution didn't design the spaniel jowl for the efficient mastication of breakfast cereal. He didn't seem to be making progress in dealing with the situation himself, so I had no choice but to hold his mouth open, and scrape the Special Kat wad from the roof of his mouth with my index finger. Look away now, if you don't want to know the result. (The Sharpie and the pound coin are for scale.)


I've totally put you off your flapjack, haven't I?

Oh, Hector. You're in the doghouse again.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry - I'm laughing. I once had to do the roof-of-mouth scraping thing with the Man-Child who had stuffed so much bagel and cream cheese into his mouth it had clumped on the roof. (He was 18 months by the way, although he still stuffs too much in his mouth.)
    Also reminds me of a few weeks ago when I gave our dog a large ice-cube to play with (as she likes to do) What I didn't foresee was that the ice cube stuck to her lip and she was very distressed. We couldn't figure out how to get it off without hurting her, until I remembered that wet kitchen paper would simply melt it off. My god, the guilt I felt over that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you can sympathise... I give Hector ice cubes. It hadn't occurred to me that one might get stuck on his lip!

      Delete
  2. Someone has told me that they're having problems commenting on this post. If this is affecting anyone else, please do email me. It would be useful to know. Email is IotaManhattan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so contrite, sitting there on the mat. I think I'd have had a hard job staying cross with him when he looked like that. I remember that sort of situation with our dog, I'd give her the telling off, then turn away and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our dog does exactly the same, she managed to smash a huge vase which was right in the centre of our 1m x 2m kitchen table. And I had tucked all the chairs under, as you do. No idea how. Well, we concluded it's the spaniel part of her cos, boy can she jump. Full time job isn't it? More high maintenance than a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I can comment. I wanted to say that he looks very cute in spite of the destruction. A friend of mine recently bought a huge dog, who after a week of behaving beautifully has suddenly started chewing everything. He is so big he could probably hurdle a Lindam gate - I don't know what she's going to do.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eurgh!

    But I have the same problem with the stair gate/larder/small destructive being interface. It's the food colouring my one likes....

    And Iota, Waitrose, please... I am so jealous of you and you don't even use it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have always had one or two Labrador Retrievers (and for one short period, a Basset Hound) for the entire almost-22 years of our married life, and those scenes are sooooo familiar to me, as is the mystery. The Basset Hound was always the biggest surprise - they are so close to the ground (and ponderous-looking, too) that you forget how long they are. Our Max, standing on his hind legs, was long enough to reach any counter or table with ease, due to the exaggerated length of his body. Over the years, I have extracted things from just about every part of a dog (including a pair of microfiber underpants (very light and very stretchy) that must have gone down a treat but got caught on the exit and caused great distress to the dog as well as his traumatized owner - that mental image is sure to ruin the flapjacks!) Our most recent dog has had two major abdominal surgeries to remove ingested items that nearly killed him (MrL says the dog can process a sock OR a ski glove, but not a sock AND a ski glove...) To quote our vet: "He will not learn from this." All this to say: I sincerely hope Hector is a better learner than our Shiner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is clearly Rosie's soul mate. so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a cocker spaniel when I was young, who managed to get into the kitchen and eat *all* the appetizers for my sister's birthday party. They were all up on counters and tables... I suspect when food is involved, cockers can do amazing things. (We have many stories involving the dog and her stomach)

    ReplyDelete