Thursday, October 4, 2012

Washing woes

If you read expat blogs, there is one subject that comes up again and again. A subject that evokes the deepest, darkest, most shameful emotions, that stirs home-loving, patriotic passion, that will reduce the most rational, accepting, broad-horizoned traveler to a ranting, bigoted ball of nationalistic hatred. Yes... it's the laundry.

I could write a blog post about my puppy. But as I sit at the computer, I am possessed with a fury that I have seldom known in my life, and I need to run into the therapeutic arms of the blogosphere, to release my pent-up loathing. Loathing, hatred, intense dislike. The thesaurus has left me high and dry. I am lost for words to describe my murderous, raging, venomous, aaaargh...... towards my washer-drier. I don't even know how to spell it. Washer-drier? Washer-dryer? What kind of a thing doesn't even know how to spell itself?

Stick to one thing. Wash if you wash. Dry if you dry. Don't try and multi-task. That's for women. Human beings with a brain, intelligence, and years of experience with laundry. You smug little square white pile of... metal. You think you're so wonderfully clever, with your wheel of different programme numbers, and your buttons of special options.You have that irritating know-all expression on your glass-fronted face, and you rumble away in the corner as if you are the King of Clean Dry Clothing Land. But you know NOTHING! You have the laundry sensitivity of a rampaging bull ox. In season. DON'T try to interrupt. What do you know of animal biology?

I poo-poo your eco-wash option. I hate your small white dials. I spit on your spin speed selector. I refuse to  look at your detergent drawer. I walk by on the other side of the utility room, with my face turned away. I despise your attempts to win me back, with your luring offer of three different levels of dryness. Hanging dry, ironing dry, wardrobe dry. It all sounds so good, but then you go and spoil it all. How can I trust you again? No. Nothing you can do can make me change my mind. I will not relent. You have ruined our relationship. I started out suspicious of your dual nature, your washer-dryer combination, but willing to put my prejudices to one side, to make an effort with you. You have ignored my needs, trampled over my desires. My dreams lie in shrunken, creased heaps. You have put me through the wringer, and hung me out to... never mind. There are no more second chances. I am dumping you.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss my great big American washing machine. OK, so it didn't get the clothes very clean, but at least it tried. It didn't knot them, shrink them, crumple them, and spew them out at my feet, jeering at my woe and sorrow. It wasn't high-tech or environmentally friendly, but sometimes, I have come to realise, size DOES matter. You and your namby-pamby 5 kilogram weight limit. I don't need your clever clogs technology. I need a machine that will love and accept my huge loads of dirty washing, and then another one that will dry them, gently and carefully, with me at the controls. Machines that will discuss with me what outcomes I want, rather than arrogantly assume they know best. Do you care about 11-yo's Manchester United fleece? You say you do. Your instruction book makes all kinds of extravagant claims. But your behaviour is contrary to those empty promises. You've ruined that fleece. That precious fleece. That fleece, several pairs of school trousers, socks, t-shirts, a dressing gown, and my new M&S panties, with no regard to the cost. Hotpoint, it's over between us.

American expats, I feel your pain. I've crossed over. I'm on your side now. I'm missing my Maytags.


14 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!! I think I shall go pop a load into my oh-my-God-it-could-wash-all-of-Britain sized (and energy efficient - it's a front loader!) new American washer and then pour myself a cup of tea in your honor, my fellow former expat friend. Very rarely is bigger automatically better, but in this case... yeah. It really, really is.

    I'll be back with that tea to engross myself in your archives. Looking forward to learning all about your move back across the pond... and I'm dying to know whether that giant Red American couch of yours made the journey with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have the same washer-dryer I have. It is horrible! We just moved to Newcastle and after two loads of crumpled, shrunken and permanently wrinkled work clothes I finally figured out how to just turn off the dryer function and bought a drying rack and put it in the second bedroom.

    I really miss my large capacity washer from the States. I'm OK without the dryer, but oh, my washer! Oh, to be able to wash more than two pairs of jeans at once, or four shirts, or three towels. Good thing we don't have kids at home, or we'd have to buy three of them just to keep up.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giggle. I so feel your pain!!! I just posted a rant on my blog about the same issue. Soooo frustrating!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Maybe we should start a support group??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting here smugly listening to my feckin humungous LG washer humming away, even if the clothes come out looking less than sparkly! Must Tweet this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I've just had my huge great American washer looked at again for the second time in six months because it inexplicably leaks. Once again, the repair guy could find nothing wrong with it. And of course, it never leaks when he's there.
    So nothing is perfect, either side of the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't realise you'd come back over here. Sounds to me you've only yourself to blame for making life too complicated. All you need are wooden slats and a dangly rope and you haul your smalls up to the ceiling and let them dangle dry. I have no truck with driers/dryers/driyuhs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Panties? You were def away too long...
    Washing line? not really the climate for it...

    xxxx J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I posted about this in the early years. I guess I've come to the stage of Acceptance. Probably will move into Anger and Grief over the next few months :)

    You MUST read Selena's post from just this week: http://selena-ohtheplaceswewillgo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/and-so-its-come-to-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. what? we didn't get your clothes clean? really? what's wrong with us?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang the clothes up woman! You've gone all soft on us in those years over there.

    Get a washer that does what it says (ie not drying) and then join us in the moving the clothes around the house to be near a radiator and hoping spring comes early and warmly and soon!

    So good to have you back x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the fact that you refer to knickers as panties means that you have crossed over to the American side in more than one way :-) The first time I ever referred to trousers as pants when I was living in Philly there was a collective gasp amongst my British ex-pat friends who I was out drinking with and I thought they were going to disown me on the spot! I still can't bring myself to call knickers 'panties'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why don't American washing machines clean clothes?

    Enquiring minds need to know.

    Still, could be worse. We have no boiler... There was frost this morning. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The large capacity washers and driers/dryers are two of the best things about self catering holidays in America! ;)

    ReplyDelete