Saturday, September 1, 2012

One wallow at the end of a summer

I've moved continents twice, and that makes me something of an expert. Expert... expat... same difference. And from my expert point of view, here is one tip. You will have days when you just need to wallow for a few hours. Go ahead and wallow. (I suppose this expert advice applies to any move, really.)

I had a wallowy day on Friday. Wednesday had been "new pupil day" for the kids. That was all fun and jollity. Thursday had been the first proper day of school, and they all came home exhausted. Their faces were white and drawn. They slumped. They had homework to do (homework on day one - what kind of unreasonable behaviour is that on the part of the teachers?). Homework is called "prep". I've never liked that. It smacks of a fib. The idea is, I'm guessing, that the children are so enthralled by their school work, that they find out what the teacher is planning on teaching the following day, and prepare themselves for it. Whereas we all know that in reality, prep is either finishing off a task that was started in class, or is an assignment related to what has already been covered. It's only very, very occasionally "prep".

I digress. Back to Thursday night. By the time slumping had been done, dinner had been consumed, and prep had been completed, it was late, the chance of an early bedtime had been blown, and I went to bed as exhausted as my children and hard-working husband, and feeling a bit of a failure, frankly. I mean, they're the ones starting a new school or new job. Friday was their second day, and I packed them off, and then had a good wallow.

I was washing up, and as I did so, I shut my eyes, and I recalled the sounds of washing up at my old sink in my old kitchen in my old home. I missed the mournful hoot of the trains. I missed Diane Ream on NPR. I missed the crickets, made noisy by the heat of the sun. I missed knowing exactly how long it would take to get to Dillons and back. I missed having a diary full of events and people. I missed my job, my MA course, my big fridge...

Then I recalled the early days in America. How I used to wash up, and shut my eyes, and miss the sounds I'd left behind in Scotland. The seagulls, the CBeebies signature tunes, the clinking of a zip against the window of the washing machine the other side of the kitchen, The Archers. I missed the shops on the High Street, the walk there and back with the stroller. I missed the busy calendar on the back of the cupboard door. I missed the sea. Boy, did I miss the sea...

It felt very strange. A deja vue, or a time warp. Memories of memories, re-feelings of feelings. It seems I have come full circle. I'm in Scotland, missing a place, where I used to stand and miss Scotland. But it isn't a full circle. It's two halves of two different circles. Life isn't always joined up, is it?

Anyway, I had a good wallow. And then I felt better. Now those are two halves of the same circle.

.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah it is weird. Once you have lived in different places, it takes a long, long time to be comfortable, in a homey way, in one place again. & I think you'll always miss things. I feel I have little bits of my heart in Paris, South Africa, Sri Lanka & Albania where I have lived for significant lengths of time. It is also quite the moment when your children & spouse are all busy & in a new social/work sphere & you have packed them all off & then think "what now?" as the day yawns before you. So you have to go about inventing a new life for yourself yet again. But also you feel not only wallowy for yourself but also for yr children struggling to adapt to another new setting, or wobbling as they find their feet. So; go ahead & have a gd wallow (pref with a cup of tea & a digestive!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the 'wallow moment' is what I'm really dreading about returning home (whenever that may be). I know that we'll have full and busy lives when we get there; I may even - gasp! - be able to return to paid employment, but I know that it will be so so different to the way we live now. Reports from other (rational) friends who've lived in Moscow and enjoyed it are that I should probably steel myself for the first year or so back home to be the worst. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs. And what have you decided about the MA course, is there a way to continue from home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I often wonder how serial expats do it, but I suppose you just allow yourself a wallow, then roll your sleeves up and get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it, isn't it? Took me ages to get off the "I'm a stranger here" step - at least 8 years if I'm honest. I still have a foot in the other country though.

    You can listen to NPR a couple of ways: 1) live stream it from your computer (you can even get fancy and get speaker wire to lead into a stereo speaker or two in the kitchen), 2) download TunedInRadio (a free app) for your iPod and hook it up to your stereo via a device that plugs into your iPod headphone jack and into your stereo speakers.

    I did that for ages, but now I livestream the BBC. Some days it is far more interesting than NPR (gasp, I didn't really just say that, did I?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be very different and the children must be having a hard time to settle in such a different environment. Glad its swings and roundabouts and that its something that will pass.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surely you can get The Archers and NPR on the internet with a little jiggery pokery? I get your point, though.

    It is a pity that they haven't invented a Star Trek transporter yet, then we could all zip around the world and base ourselves wherever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can so imagine this being me next year - particularly as I often wash up to NPR.....

    It does take a long time to settle, and I reckon that while we expect moving abroad to be hard, at least we're prepared for that feeling, and deal with the stress accordingly. Moving home shouldn't be hard, but clearly it is. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just self indulgently ordered big canvas prints of my own photos of San Francisco to hang in my San Diego home. I hear you on the wallowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must get together for coffee sometime, although I'm not about for more than a day or so until October.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done a great deal of wallowing lately. I suppose it's an inescapable part of returning to my original homeland after a decade. Funny how time can turn familiar things unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete