Saturday, September 15, 2012

New to living in Scotland

Here are three things about living in Scotland that I've discovered in the past 24 hours, that I didn't previously know.

  • It's a bank holiday this coming Monday. The last Monday in August wasn't a bank holiday.
  • No prescription charges (wa-hey!).
  • If your son puts on his "formal wear" (it being Harvest Festival), and he hasn't had a bath the night before, you will have to spend some precious morning minutes getting him to sit on the bathroom floor with his legs outstretched, scrubbing at the mud with a flannel. Yes, "formal wear" is a kilt, and paraphernalia. I'm not a great fan of strict uniform for children, but I have to confess I do love 11-yo in his kilt regalia (and he likes wearing it, so that helps). 

Here is one thing I don't know about living in Scotland, and don't really ever want to know.

  • While I was scrubbing 11-yo's knees, he was pondering how you're meant to have a pee in a kilt. He had solved the problem at school by going into a cubicle, and wrapping the event in privacy. But hold your horses before you start typing in the comments box. As I say, if you do know the correct Gents etiquette for kilt-wearers, I don't need to share that knowledge.

15 comments:

  1. I understand why there are no pictures to illustrate that formal wear, so this is not a request.... just thought it would be lovely to see an 11-year old in a kilt. Did you have to buy knew ones or did you own one before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's far safer to sit down and stop "accidents" happening, if you get my drift. Perhaps there are fewer urinals in Scotland and more cubicles for this very reason?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to share on that final point (I am after all nearly half scottish: 3/8s if you're asking.....) but sadly Iota has sealed my lips.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...I see your point...one of those things I never thought of, not being Scottish. Now that I think of it, though, I can see why you'd rather avoid the whole topic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never really thought about the last point..now wondering who to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, love kilts! My geeky boy Likes to wear skirts, and once he heard there was a skirt that boys can wear he asked for a kilt for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you had a lovely day off?
    x
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he'd have to sit if he was wearing a kilt!
    Lucky not to have to pay for prescription charges.
    Enjoy the Bank Holiday (that we don't get!)
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a bank holiday? Glad you told us...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ps B does a very clear demonstration (clothes on) by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why was it a bank holiday? We had Monday and Tuesday off school in NY, but that's because its Jewish new year. Is Scotland hoping the end of summer comes a little later than August?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's best not to consider that point - especially given the absorbent nature of plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha.
    Out of curiosity - does your boy have an American accent?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny, the things one discovers when in a new(ish) place or situation...! Thank goodness for blogs so we can share these gems!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Runs off to ask hubby about last point...



    ReplyDelete