Monday, August 13, 2012

Leaving a home

On the way up to Edinburgh, we stayed overnight with my parents in law. It was the last time we will stay in that house. They are moving too. At the same time as we have headed east from America to Scotland, they are heading east from the Pennines to the Moors. A smaller journey geographically, but who can measure these things emotionally? They are leaving the house they moved to when Husband was 13, where they have lived for nearly 40 years.

It's never been my home, but as we drove away for the last time, going through the usual driving away ritual with a double beep on the horn and arms waving from the windows, I felt sad. That house holds 17 years of memories for me:

The first time I met my future parents in law, and we had a Chinese takeaway. It must have been an impromptu visit, I think, though I can't remember the details. If it had been arranged in advance, I'm sure they'd have cooked us dinner. Fish pie, probably.

The first week-end I stayed there, and the feedback via Husband from his mother: "She's a lovely girl, isn't she?"

Telling them we were going to get married, and hugs all round, though it had been difficult to find the right moment. We were bursting with the news, and every time we were about to start the announcement, Granny (though not Granny at the time) would get up to potter into the kitchen to see to the meal.

Those early visits with a baby and a boot full of baby equipment, nervously attending to his needs out of the comfort of our own environment. Later visits with three children, when dealing with just one baby would have seemed like a walk in the park. The cot, the highchair, the box of toys, bought for visiting grandchildren, to relieve our car boot of its burden, and to stand sentinel between our visits.

Being there for Grandad's 60th birthday, the day on which Princess Diana died.

The hatch between the kitchen and the dining room, which has entertained the children far more than any toy or game.

The trips to "the rec", the park, the canal to feed the ducks.

The traditional game of running round the house as many times as possible. The record is 150, held by 11-yo, (though we rely on self-counting, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that figure).

The joke about how it always rains (and it usually does). There was one legendary trip when we drove up from the south in blazing sunshine, and when we were 10 minutes away from arriving, the sky clouded over and the drizzle started, as if to prove a point, or join in the joke.

Some of the memories have become stories for our children. "Granny kept saying "I must just see to the vegetables" and leaving the room, so you couldn't even tell them. Was that how it was?"

Then I think of the phone calls that have been received there. "A boy! Wonderful! How's Iota doing?" "Another boy! Is all well?" "A girl! Oh... a girl! How is everyone?" "You got the job... America... When will you leave..?" "Cancer? They're sure? What happens now?" So many moments that, like a child's dot-to-dot puzzle, join together to make a picture.

A house. It's so much more than a house. I'm homesick, and it wasn't even ever my home.
.

12 comments:

  1. I felt like that when my father in law sold the house my husband grew up in. I had such lovely memories of going there. My husband doesn't even want to walk down that street now, he feels so sad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. You've just made me miss my parents-in-law. And my mother. You made me homesick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine my dad selling his house.I lived there from aged 5 -19.It feels more live a home after almost 20 years of leaving home.Oh and welcome back to the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother sold our family house the year after I got married and I rarely even go to that neighbourhood now. The house she's now in has all my kids' childhood memories of England, and for the most part, those memories have entailed glorious summer evenings and family gatherings. I don't think she'll be moving any time soon and even though it's not the house I grew up in, I know we would all be gutted.
    Big changes everywhere for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This echoes my feelings of leaving my home recently. It's the feeling that you can never quite get those memories back I think, even though they are stored in your head, that makes it hard and sad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always felt that way about my mother-in-law's house; when she moved to her condominium, I knew it was the right decision, but it was so hard to say goodbye to so many years of memories. Hard for you right now, having just said goodbye to your own home as well as now to theirs - hugs from Seoul...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These times of big change are hard, no doubt. But memories do live on, and new ones will be formed too. I missed the home I grew up in dreadfully when my parents died, but having some of their furniture helped. Maybe you could take a few mementoes to your new home, even a plant or 2?
    But I'm sure your parents-in-law are thrilled with the fact that you're now much closer geographically to them.
    Best of luck in this new phase of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Iota. So much change in a short time! I hope all goes well for the rest of the process, and that your internet gets sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mum moved out of their home last year after 48 years. I still can't quite think about it - I was born in that house. Understand entirely.

    Love J'ph
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how we can pinpoint our activities according to events that happened a world away. When you mentioned Princess Diana I remembered being in California all over again.

    Sad AND sweet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in the house where my husband was born. He really wants one of our children to live here after us, but they won't, it's too much upkeep. But your lovely post has made me think, I must blog some of his childhood stories for our grandchildren in future years.

    ReplyDelete