Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I love you all, but...

... no post tonight.

You know you're not in America, when you move house and have to wait over a month for a landline and internet connection. Yes, you read that correctly. Over... a... month... A very long month. Because a BT engineer has to come and activate our internet hub thingy (already installed in the house), before anyone from any other company can do whatever they do to get us connected. Apparetly BT are very busy. 15-yo asked if that didn't count as a monopoly, and if so, why was it allowed. I didn't know the answer.

All I do know is that not having a landline or the internet is a pain in the proverbial, though also strangely useful. It does mean that life is remarkably uninterrupted, and that unpacking can happen at our own pace. On the other hand, it also means that you can end up driving for over an hour round the city, because you're using the GPS to tell you where things are, instead of looking them up on the internet. The GPS tells you that a vet surgery (more on that in a minute) is 3.5 miles away. What it doesn't tell you is that the vet surgery it has in mind is the other side of the city centre, where there are serious semi-permanent roadworks, a zillion tourist buses, roads closed because of some international arts festival or other called "The Edinburgh Festival", and that it's lunchtime. I resorted to stopping at a petrol station and asking the way to the ring road after the vet surgery, which actually was a very clever move. I've only lived here six days and I'm already more savvy than the GPS. That's a relief. I hate being out-smarted by a GPS. That smug tone of voice... That know-it-all superior attitude... Though it has given me a good idea for an epitaph. I think I might have "Recalculating your route" written on my tombstone.

All of which is to apologise for the fact that I'm not posting much at the moment. BT are too busy to connect us up to the internet at home. When I do sneakily find internet access, hidden away in Husband's office (it takes three keys to get in here, but I get a splendid view of the city from the window), I have a whole list of boring admin things to do. Plus I did absolutely promise the kids that I would look at the Scottish Kennel Club website. A promise is a promise, so I must do so (though they are incorrect if they think it will make me more likely to get a puppy in the next three weeks before their term starts, rather than waiting sensibly until we are a little more settled in - as I have explained to them more than a few times). Faced with the choice of engaging with my beloved, but patient and far-flung, bloggy friends, or satisfying the impatient and close at hand demands of my children, I'm afraid I'm opting for the Scottish Kennel Club website.

This dog lark... it's a part-time job, I tell you, and I haven't even got the blessed thing yet.
.

10 comments:

  1. BT has too much power! It must be so frustrating to be waiting all this time. We are so used to the internet, it's hard to imagine having to live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A MONTH? That seems cruel and inhuman! On the other hand, I suppose you're catching up on the unpacking and the reading. Once you get your connectivity back, I am so looking forward to hearing about your repatriation process. I have a friend who lived overseas for only 10 months and had trouble with her readjustment - can't imagine what it must be like after 5 years! Are your children taking it all in stride as well? Usually the kiddos seem to adjust more quickly, but I'm very curious to hear how the transition from US schooling to UK goes. Just a thought...do Starbuck's in Edinburgh have free wi-fi? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought EU law was that there always has to be a 2 week grace period between the request and the broadband connection? That's why it always takes at least 2 weeks in the UK? It's supposed to be to allow you to change your mind, but in reality it is just a total pain, like you say! You can of course use the old phone modem connection method in the meantime, which is what I used to do in the UK while I waited - but it is so slow and expensive!

    I have to say that my internet speed was faster in the UK though, than it is here in Gainesville. There is less infastructure in the USA outside of the big cities, it seems. Where I am here in North Florida, there is also pretty much a total monopoly too on internet suppliers. Back in Leeds, UK, there was a lot more choice and it was much, much faster. But I think that's a big city thing and it would be the same if I was in Chicago or LA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah well, Chicago, er yes - we have used the same service for so long I don't really know to be honest.
    I can't believe that even if you're not going to go with BT, they still have to stick their oar in. Bloody ridiculous! And a month? That's almost as bad as getting in to see a doctor over here. LOL. (Not)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found that when I am forced to not be online I have an initial irritation and frustration but eventually I settle into a sort of dreamy bliss. Which begs the question, why do I go online at all? To find things out, to connect, to get directions... :) Hope you get connected soon!!

    PS the sunflower was lovely!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our latest tenants in London had the same problem when they moved in - BT took ages to give them an online connection, which was a problem because one of them works from home. We had to wait about a week here when we moved last September, but a month is ridiculous! Is there a neighbour's wi-fi you could (legitimately) borrow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck - we just got connected, after a dark interwebs-less week post-move from London to rural New Mexico. We were forced to pursue alternate activities for an entire week: conversation, human contact, long muddy walks, etc. A very challenging time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I waited 9 months to get internet in Albania. In Sri Lanka it was only 5.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. BT needs to get its act together! Hope you are back online soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids are dying for a puppy too, but I insist we'll wait until we move back to the US (we'll be home more). What kind are you getting?

    ReplyDelete