Thursday, March 29, 2012

Posts

I'm sitting blogging because I'm in denial about how much needs to be done in the house to get it ready for putting it on the market. There's a blog post in that.

It was lovely getting together with our realtor, reminiscing about when she helped us buy a house five years ago. There's a blog post in that.

The system of buying and selling houses is so much better organised here than in either England or Scotland. Our realtor (and I) can hardly believe how such a major life decision and financial investment can be so poorly taken care of in comparison (though perhaps we are out of date - perhaps new legislation has tightened everything up). There's a blog post in that.

I'm looking out of the window at lightning and heavy rain. I will really miss thunderstorms. I love the drama of them. There's a blog post in that.

A couple of friends who I've just been drinking wine and eating chocolate with, are coming round on Monday morning to take me and my house in hand, and help me dress it for selling. I can't even begin to explain what that would mean without writing a whole blog post.

What's that movie called? The one with Renee Zellwegger as a chic business woman from Miami, who goes to Minnesota to an ailing factory with a mandate to close it down, and eventually suspends her corporate superciliousness, to fall in love with the warmth of the community (as well as a good-looking - supposedly, though he didn't do it for me - widower). That would give you an insight into what kind of decor will help sell our house. I understand American films so much better, now I've lived here. Another blog post there.

I watched 14-yo play tennis yesterday. Ah, I remember those hours of hitting a ball to and fro with a preschooler in the back garden. Now my role is more relaxing. I sit and watch, and chat to friends sideways. Several blog posts in that.

7-yo turned eight, and we hosted a birthday sleepover. Lots of blog posts there.

7-yo asked "Will we sell the house for A THOUSAND dollars?" Certainly another blog post.

11-yo is going on a field trip to a Health Museum tomorrow. I have no idea what the place is all about, but it sounds good. I should probably google it. Then I could write a blog post about it.

We're leaving here. I can hardly believe it. I hardly want to believe it. I am me here. I don't know how to be me anywhere else. I will learn, I will discover. I'm both excited for the future, and sad for the loss of the present. It makes me pensive. Blog posts there, thick and fast.

So many blog posts, so little time.

.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like that all the time: posts everywhere I look, but no time to write them, although admittedly, I'm not in the middle of moving. I can imagine how you must feel - sad and excited at the same time - and will be so curious to follow you as you go through the process of 'repatriation' (new word I've learned since moving overseas.) Initially seemed like a big word to describe a non-event: so you're going home, big deal. But I'm starting to get that, when the time comes, it's not going to be quite as simple as it sounds. And I can see that already from this post. The process has begun. I hope you'll have enough time to share some of it with us. You know all of your readers are wishing you well, and I'm sure all your friends and family in the UK are thrilled.


    PS...when you finally get all that free time (ha), I'd love to hear about those differences between the real estate process here vs. the UK. Hard for me to believe that the process in the US is well-organized! It feels quite cumbersome and labyrinthine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, there are several posts I wanted to write about various things in Albania, but I feel I can't now as it's not now'in the moment' wch is really what blogging is all about. I have lots too to say about repatriating & my unsettledness & general'flatness', but for once I can't quite articulate it & don't even feel able to put digit to keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blogging is 'in the moment' isn't it? I haven't ever heard it put it like that, but you're right.

      Delete
  3. I can't even begin to imagine the huge task of getting a house ready to put on the market. There's a chance i might be doing it in a few years' time and I'm already working on the to-do list.
    Interesting that you call it "dressing" the house; it's called "staging" up here, and there is a whole labo(u)r force at one's service to come in a make your house look just like the house you might want to buy!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think I got that wrong. I think we call it "staging" here too.

      Delete
  4. That's when you know you're a true blogger I guess - when you see blog posts in everything. Good luck with the house dressing. This is one instance where I'm glad we're renting. Although I hate renting out our house in London. Third set of tenants have just given notice - ugh!

    ReplyDelete