Thursday, March 15, 2012

Moving on

We are moving back to Britain.

I don't know what else to say on my blog. I have learnt that anything you say, any information you share, you can't take back. I can't ever be properly anonymous again, but I can continue to be semi-anonymous, and I want to guard that. So I don't want to give out details of names and places. But I want to tell my news, dear Bloggy Friends. What to do?

I think what I'll do is tell you a little, and then if you want to know details, you can email me. The address is IotaManhattan, then the rest hosted by gmail. I'm happy to share information, dear Bloggy Friends. I just don't want to do it here. Please do feel free to contact me.

Suffice to say, there's a clue in the labels for this post. Husband has got a job as a school chaplain. It's a great option for the whole family. The kids will have places at the school, which is mostly boarding, but they will be day kids. We will live on site. So as far as the move goes, the two big challenges (finding a house, finding schools) are already in the bag. In the sporran.

It's one of those beautiful moments in life when everything seems to be falling into place around our ears. I haven't shared much about the search for a route back to the UK, but it has been lengthy and demoralising. Sometimes agonising. When we came to the US for a stint, we didn't plan for the credit crunch and what that would do to the job market. There have been times here when we have felt stuck, and panicky. The clock has been ticking in the background. We absolutely HAD to be back before our oldest was 12. He needed to start secondary school in the UK along with peers. That sacred cow fell by the wayside a couple of years ago. Then we had to be back before he was 14 and would start the GCSE curriculum. Bam! Another sacred cow keels over. I can picture it toppling sideways in slow motion, legs giving way and extending to a skywards-pointing position, as the bovine body hits the ground and rotates, sacred udder bouncing and wobbling. The field of our recent life is strewn with several of these supine creatures.

I have had to learn to go with the flow, to trust that life will work out, when we can't work it out ourselves. And now we have an option that is better than all the others. It was waiting for us, but of course we couldn't see it, hiding away round a corner in the future. Meanwhile, we've been determined not to live in limbo, and so we've never allowed ourselves to say "it's not worth it, we might be moving". It's a series of acts of will, but important for expats, I think. So I painted our bedroom even as Husband was in the UK having a job interview about this time last year, and I chose a colour that I liked, not a colour that would be sensible for preparing the house for market. We bought a table tennis table for Christmas, in the knowledge that we would never have a house big enough in the UK for it, and therefore probably wouldn't get our proper money's worth out of it. I started an MA, which I will now leave unfinished. When you're an expat, you have to live in the present, not for a hypothetical future. You really do.

I'm needing a clinching razor-sharp one-liner at this point, to close the post, but waah, I also have to make three packed lunches, get showered, put on some clothes, kill the haggis for dinner, and be out of the house in the next, oh, 4.2 minutes. Talking of living in the present.

I'm so happy.

.




26 comments:

  1. I hope you'll continue to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy too, for you all. Have walked this path myself & know only too well what it's like. I remember you saying wistfully how amazingly everything was falling into place for us so suddenly a year ago (& I hoped fervently that wd be true for all of you one day soon too) So today I am happy as a Scottish reel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whooooooooopity whoop!
    xxxxxxxx
    J'ph

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is good news because I know its what you wanted.
    Keep blogging! Let us know how you get on.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO, SO happy for you. Not much more to say really, but I always believe nice things have to work out for super nice people. x (And hopefully I'll still be able to "visit" with you both online and in person every now and then.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very happy for you (and will email separately). I know how much you wanted this. And perhaps we can meet up in the UK next year! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as though things have fallen into place very nicely! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Congrats!
    I remember at least one post where you shared about trying to get back to the UK, and how difficult it was, so I'm really happy for you. "What's for you won't go by you" was one of my mother's great sayings, and I often remember it when what I want seems out of reach.
    Please tell me you'll keep blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting and great news. I hope the move goes smoothly for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, you're one of my favourite expat bloggers in the USA! You can't leave!

    Good luck! Although it sounds like you're sorted and won't need any! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo! Woo hoo! Woo hoo!

    Can I be excited now?

    And there might be room for the table tennis table, you never know...

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting and now I am off to e-mail you to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? really? Wow. So happy for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! Very exciting news and I can share your sentiments about living in the moment and trying to move forward while being an expat with return dates unknown. I will be super curious to hear how your experience as a re-patriated expat goes so I do hope you will continue the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great news! I'l email you so that you can tell me where you're going - it may not be too far from me so who knows - we might be able to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a big upheaval! Hope the process goes smoothly

    ReplyDelete
  17. only just saw this. How exciting. I shall email you immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very exciting news. I'm now wondering exactly where you'll be in the land of my husband so I should probably email you as I'm terribly nosey.

    Also delighted to see your name on the Blogging for Brilliance shortlists. I gather, with 12000 nominations, the people in the top 20 lists would have had a good number of nominations. Congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw this a while back and have been needing to get here and tell you congrats! Also, not so fast on the no longer blogging. I've three words for you: reverse culture shock. It is interesting going back, and the going back is too often ignored or dismissed in the whole expat experience. I will be looking forward to hearing how the return goes.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - congratulations on the move back to the UK. You are clearly over the moon!

    I empathise with that expat feeling of having to live in the present. Before we left Zambia I set up my own company, bought furniture and repainted many rooms, yet the decision to move took us only 3 months to implement. I hope and pray that the move is smooth and without (too much!) trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Iota, I'm delighted for you all :) Many congratulations on the move- a job with added house and school places is just perfect. I look forward to reading the tales!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very happy for you! I'm sure you will all look back on these years as a formative part of everyone's lives. It certainly made for great blogging. Very very best of luck. I'm in a move dilemma myself; not to the uK but to another part of USA. Not blogging much these days though. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad that you are getting the opportunity to move back to Britain. We are also in turmoil at the moment with a potential move to Australia on the horizon. Lots of highs and lows and tonnes of things to write about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete