Saturday, March 3, 2012

Accents

Thanks to Al Fresco Holidays, for putting right the situation, and offering a second holiday prize.

Now, here's a story about accents. My kids have varying degrees of American accents. As you would guess, 7-yo, being the youngest, has the strongest. She sounds American to me. According to a local here, you would think she was an American child, with rather proper parents.

That's one aspect of the British accent that I think fuels the American love of it. Somehow it speaks to them of bygone eras, and feeds that vague nostalgia we all have somewhere in our psyches, the sense that things used to be better. There was a time when all was well with the world, or at least a bit more so than today. I might be wrong about this, but it's a working theory. For Brits, it plays out in period dramas. We all know intellectually that life in Edwardian England was oppressive, smelly, and you couldn't get antibiotics, but somehow we all have a slight yearning for Downton Abbey days. Not From Around Here has an interesting take on the matter.

Anyhoo, 7-yo has clearly picked up this idea that a British accent means you're a bit proper. I know this, because she was annoyed with me for some parental injustice or other - you know the kind of thing - and from the back of the car, she piped up with her rendering of what I was insisting. And out came this prim, disapproving, rather aloof, voice. Think Maggie Smith as Miss Jean Brodie in an English accent, with light hints of Penelope Keith as Margot Ledbetter, citrus suggestions of Judy Dench as Q in James Bond, and woody after-notes of Helen Mirren as The Queen. (I haven't yet seen Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher; otherwise I expect she'd be in there too.)

"Mummy, you always say [enter Maggie Smith combo stage left] 'We can't possibly go, it's far too late, and you need an early night because we've had a busy week'. [back to Midwest twang] You always say that." (Or whatever the details were. I forget the exact conversation, but you get the picture.)

We've all had those moments when we hear our child use our phrases, and think "oh my goodness, is that what I sound like?" I tell you, this occasion was that feeling in spades. Do I really sound all prim and proper to her now? Or was she just taking the mickey? Or is she so attuned to American cultural assumptions, that to her, an English accent now implies a whole package?

It made me laugh, but it also made me a little sad - this gap between us. It's not that I want her to be like me, but it's that need for shared heritage with your children. Why else do we have Christmas traditions, take our children to places we went to as children, and teach them history in school?

Of course the alternative interpretation is that I really do sound like that.

.

19 comments:

  1. I think your daughter was pulling one over on you, although she may not have done this on purpose. But assuming that she did, it is a bit of a funny thing and unique to your situation. Maybe you can learn to sound more American too and not hang on to your British so desperately. It's okay to relax a little bit and become one of the natives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene - that's what brought me up short. I think I DO sound a little American these days. I certainly have a British accent, but I say 'two thousand twelve' instead of 'two thousand and twelve', and 'twenny, thirdy, fordy' instead of 'twenty, thirty, forty'. Just to give a couple of examples that spring to mind. So I think yes, you're right. She was pulling one over on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having met you in person, I couldn't possibly comment. (Oops - I just did...).

    I have a similar situation but with my older child. I feel I'm constantly correcting him; 'It's not caint, it's caahhnt' 'It's not shudder, it's shuTTer' and so on. I should probably just give up, but it's galling to move to Russia and have your kids acquire American accents...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My middle son once asked me if he could do something or other, and then prefixed the request with, "Is that approoopriate Mummy?" in this really sniffy voice. Which was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stick with who you are, Iota. Your children are who they are too, and the way they talk is just a reflection of the places they have been. I don't talk the same as my mum - we use different vocabulary, different intonation (and I swear more.) That is because we have had different experiences, and been in different places. My French accent is more convincing than hers. You have your accent and I have mine - and frankly growing up surrounded by the like of Miss H, the chances of our sounding like anything other than Maggie Smith were always going to be impossibly slim...

    love J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know parents who are a little troubled with having their child pick up a different UK regional accent to their own, so to have them speak a "foreign one" must be unnerving! :-)

    I used to be unnerved by American friends devolving into a mutated Australian twang in the middle of conversations, until I realised that it was an attempt at mimickry of my Northern English accent.

    One of my (dotty) neighbours told me that she wished the pilgrims had kept their British accents after they got off the boats, so maybe you are right about the nostalgia thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could be worse. They could 'imitate' the swearing bits.

    Or maybe that's just me?
    Bugger.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your description of her interpretation of your accent.....
    I'm not so unnerved by the accents my kids has than of some of the expressions they come out with. "What gives, Mom?' was one that really threw me. And I am afraid I tease my children for saying things like 'movie theater' and tell them in my poshest voice 'it's cinema, darling.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even have a cut glass accent and you should hear my (American) kids taking the piss. Even the little guy minces around the kitchen imitating something I've just said.
    Mind you, I sometimes give them plenty of fodder. The other day I was trying to threaten one of them with dire consequences for a threatened crime, and I came out with. "I suggest you think of a Plan B otherwise you'll find yourself in a spot of bother". Spot of bother! WTF?
    As you can imagine, they all (including husband) fell about laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Expat Mum, I am laughing at "spot of bother"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just telling Vernon today that my Midwest/Yooper accent combo sounds absolutely horrible compared to his lovely English accent. He thinks I'm being "daft" (SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?!?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's wrong with a spot of bother - describes the thing perfectly? Give me another expression that means the same thing, oh you wordsmithy people! **defensive indignation**

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Anonymous, instead of saying "I'm in a spot of bother", one could always say "I'm in a bit of a spot".

    ReplyDelete
  14. One could, I suppose. Though I think it lacks the essential 1940s minimalist elegance...

    ReplyDelete
  15. "The essential 1940s minimalist elegance". Of course. How could I have been silly enough to have missed that.

    The modern day equivalent would be "I'm in deep doo-doo". We're so vulgar in comparison, though I do like the repetition of the d. (That's alliteration, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. In this house we get in a pickle. But then the Scottish Borders basically is the 1940s. Just without the elegance.

    Anyway, I'm having a worry about accents. At the moment they all pretty much sound like me, but I know they won't in years to come. And I don't like that idea. I'm quite happy for them not to look like me, or dress like me, or indeed think like me (within reason!) but somehow the idea of any of them coming out with "the day, did you ken, that yin was greetin, wan I aksed her where she stayed" (or something similar, before any real Scots speakers take issue) feels very odd.

    And that's not an anti-Scots thing, because I find the accent v attractive, and I'm even getting to grips (made up nonsense above aside) with the language.

    And don't get me started (because I'm planning a post on it) on phonics in a different accent...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about wanting a shared heritage. I wonder how it will play out with my daughter. The longer I live here in the UK, the more anglicised I become but when she's older I'll probably suddenly cling very strongly to aspects of Trinidadian culture I didn't know I cared about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a new mother. She's not talking yet, but I totally get that hilarious and sad moment. I still think about how we will sound so different when she is older and I find it so strange. I try to convince myself that a mother from Yorkshire who raises her child in Hampshire will also sound really different to the child so it can happen when you're in the same country, but it's not really the same, is it? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My daughter speaks English with an International accent, and there are times when a English country farmers accent comes along. SO funny!

    ReplyDelete