Monday, January 16, 2012

The 'J' in PBJ

When I was a girl, I knew two truths about Americans. They called jelly ‘jello’, and they called jam ‘jelly’. I thought they were a crazy mixed-up nation, based largely on those two facts. I mean, how could anyone live somewhere where it was all so confusing?

Now I am a mature lady, and I’ve lived in America for more than five years, and I know many many truths about Americans. I still think they are a crazy mixed-up nation, but that’s because I think every nation is a crazy mixed-up nation. I still find life here somewhat confusing, but that’s because life is inherently confusing. I have at least managed to sort out the whole jelly/jam conundrum.

Jelly is indeed called ‘jello’ in America. It’s a brand name, so I should probably afford it the dignity of an initial capital: ‘Jello’. It has happier rhyming scope than jelly. Jelly rhymes with smelly and telly and welly and belly (which used to be a deliciously not-quite-rude-but-still-a-bit-naughty word when I was little, but is probably more mundane now). None of those are very inspiring. Not on your Nellie. Jello rhymes with hello and ‘cello (gotta love that initial apostrophe – how many words have an initial apostrophe?) and bellow and fellow and mellow. All rather pleasing, friendly words. “Hello, my good fellow” I bellowed, “How mellow is the music from your ‘cello!” Jello wins hands down in the rhyming stakes.

So far so easy. Any old Brit could manage the jelly/Jello linguistic transition (and see how generously I continue to award the American word a capital, whilst sticking with the lowly lower case for the British word). Now on to the complexities of jam. Incidentally, can you believe they don’t have jammie dodgers in America, they don’t call a police car a jam sandwich, and I don’t think they use the word ‘jammy ‘ to mean uncommonly lucky or flukey (though I could be wrong about that last one).

Living amongst Americans has shown me that my previous understanding (ie that they call jam ‘jelly’) is wrong. There are two different substances to which they give two different names. Jelly is clear, and doesn’t have bits in it. Jam is not clear, and does have bits in it. And guess what? It’s actually exactly the same in British English. Think of the redcurrant jelly you have with your roast chicken. You’d never call that ‘jam’, would you? And what you do call jam, Americans also call jam.

The difference emerges from the usage of the substance. You wouldn’t spread redcurrant jelly on your children’s toast, or make their sandwiches with it. Over here they do. They have grape jelly, apple jelly, strawberry jelly, for that very purpose. None of it tastes very nice, but it’s almost impossible to resist buying it, because the leading brand is called Smuckers. Doesn’t that beat Robinson’s or Bonne Maman into a cocked hat? I always want to call it Smuckers Schmuckers. In fact, I often do – just not out loud.

I like to think that living on a different continent to the one I was brought up in broadens my horizons and gives me greater understanding of my fellow people, and I bring you the jelly/jam issue as evidence of that. See how prejudiced I used to be. “Americans call jam, ‘jelly’.” How simplistic, narrow-minded and critical I was in my youth! My five years here have taught me that I was wrong. What I used to see as an insurmountable difference between the two nations, I now realize was my own error of comprehension. In fact, we are marked out by our similarity. We are two peoples at one in our use of the words ‘jam’ and ‘jelly’. We co-incide. There is unity between us. Our linguistic commonality is seamless. I would quite possibly never have discovered that, had I not moved across the Atlantic. Thus another link is forged in the chain of international understanding. See how I am contributing to world peace, simply by blogging about jelly and jam.

15 comments:

  1. Except the stuff we use for the ubiquitous PJ and J in our house has lumpy bits and seeds in it - Jam. Now I'm really confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, world peace. Lovely.

    Police car? New one on me.

    But the whole belly as slightly rude thing - marvellous! Why was that? It was slightly rude in the way that "bum" (meaning bottom) is slightly rude to my 9 yo but others use it now without embarrassment. And I imagine my grandchildren will probably do the same with "arse." In the way that one assumes all standards of decency will disappear in the future. (By the way have I opened up a whole tramp/fanny can of worms there by mentioning bums and bottoms? I still remember with hilarity a very conservative Southern US Christian cycling in to uni campus one day and proclaiming loudly that her fanny was sore...!)

    love
    Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah but do Americans talk about traffic jams? I've had odd looks from people before when I've mentioned being stuck in a jam, and although I think they know what I mean, I'm not sure it's common parlance. They talk about queuing traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a huge big post on the weekend about American and British food stuffs.I was laugh at fanny pack *sniggers* and I stil get a few hits on my post I wrote about faggots.Americans are wondering why us British cook gay people I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highly entertaining! I have to confess that as an American child I found jam and jelly confusing (mostly because other people seemed to use them as synonyms, but that could just be my confused childhood). I despised jelly and only like some jams. Actually, that's still true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We called everything jelly, even jams. And we made a lot of peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Mostly with Smuckers strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, what nora said--we called everything jelly, too. but mostly we had strawberry jam. but jello---that's something else entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not to cause even more confusion, but just where do preserves and marmalade fit into the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Nora. You are correct Iota, there are two different definitions for jam and jelly here in the States, but most of us use the terms very loosely, exchanging one for the other. I can see why it would be very confusing for a Brit. Kids mostly prefer using jelly for PB & J's because they typically don't like all the extra bits that are floating around in jams. I hated jams when I was a kid but now have more refined taste *cough* and can appreciate a bit of jam on my peanut butter sandwich. But frankly, a lot of families tend to gravitate to one or the other. I think if you're raised on jam, you prefer it. If you're raised with only jelly in the household, the only time you get a bit of jam is when you're out for breakfast somewhere. But before that I remembered thinking that jelly and jam were the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very thoughtful post. I'm a jelly woman myself; didn't really like jelly as a kid and now that I live in London the idea of mint or red currant jelly with something savory.

    I love all the differences in foods and food names between the US and the UK. I once wrote a newspaper piece about the differences, especially the delightful buttery British crackers Tuc and the leading US haemorrhoid remedy Tucks. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where do jelly beans come into it then?

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that. Can't abide Jello though. I couldn't believe my British sis-in-law (who lives in California) dishes out the stuff on a daily basis. I thought she'd maintain some standards!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jelly schmelly. (no, you're right, doesn't work does it?). I'm still enjoying that apostrophe.

    Hmm.

    'phone? There's another one. Maybe we should casually reintroduce it. 'Though (is that one?) sadly I can't see it taking off. Not in a world of potatoe's and cabbage's anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I love following your blog. You are such a clever writer, a talent I lack very much... thus my need for constant photo taking!

    In my family we grew up saying jam. I think many Americans use the words jam/jelly interchangably.

    Pb&j's are in my blood. I would not have survived my childhood without the stuff.

    ReplyDelete