Friday, January 13, 2012

PBJ

"I'll have a PBJ."

That's something of a litmus test. If you know what it means, I expect you've been to America with a child. If you don't know what it means, you're probably guessing, and if you come up with something really creative and witty, you should leave it in a comment and make me laugh. The best I can think of is that it would be what you might write on the bottom of an invitation to a sleepover: Please Bring Jamas.

A PBJ is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's a BLT, without the bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise, with added peanut butter and jelly. It's a standard offer on a children's menu. If your child doesn't want mac and cheese, a hot dog, a burger, a corn dog (corn dog? that's a post for another time), pizza or grilled cheese, then chances are, there'll be a PBJ on there too. Even if there isn't, you could probably ask for one and most eating establishments could rustle one up for your kid. That's because - unlike my house - they will probably have a jar of peanut butter in a cupboard.

My children don't like peanut butter. They didn't test them for that during the immigration medicals which is just as well. I'm pretty sure they don't give green cards to people who don't like peanut butter. They would probably have injected them with the stuff, along with all the hepatitis and chicken pox inoculations they needed. Intravenous peanut butter. I'm sure that would be in the paediatrician's arsenal.

Michelle sums it up well in her post at The American Resident. To most American families, peanut butter is as staple as ordinary butter. Ooh, I've just worked something out. This must be why Americans pronounce Rs in words more than we do (think "burrrgerrr" or "Central Parrrk" or indeed any parrrk, doesn't have to be Central, that was just the one that came to mind). It's because their tongues are permanently stuck to the roofs of their mouths by all the peanut butter they ate as children (they also say "ruf", as in "woof", not "rooooof" as in "Rufus", but that probably isn't to do with the peanut butter). The word "cloying" was invented for the sensation of eating peanut butter.

I can't quite decide if I like peanut butter or not. I like the crunchy kind, on toast, but not too often. I don't like the smooth kind. I don't like the flavour of peanut butter combined with sweet things, so I don't like peanut butter cookies (did you just hear 350 million people gasp?) and I really, really don't like it combined with chocolate (possibly a federal offence to say that in print). Reese's peanut butter cups are horrible. They are a dreadful waste of perfectly good chocolate. Well, not perfectly good as in Cadbury's, but perfectly adequate. Or adequate. I would pay not to eat a Reese's peanut butter cup. I reckon I'm not the only one, because come Hallowe'en, you'll find your trick or treat bag full of them. I suppose it might be because they're in orange packaging, which makes them readily Hallowe'enable (and no, I can't bring myself to drop the apostrophe in Hallowe'en, I'm sorry), but I strongly suspect that many people look on Hallowe'en as a good opportunity to get rid of the packets of Reese's peanut butter cups that have somehow infiltrated their kitchen cupboards.

Peanut butter cups are beginning to remind me of the Two Ronnies. They did a brilliant spoof (rhymes with "roof" so don't go reading it to yourself as "spuf" will you?) on Gilbert and Sullivan. The song "Dear Little Buttercup" contained the lines "Dear Little Buttercup, Please lift your buttock up, For you are sitting on my top hat". Sorry to those of you who are fans of Reese's peanut buttock ups. I've probably ruined them for you forever now.

You may think I've whittered my fill on the subject of PBJ but you'd be wrong. There's going to be a second instalment. Oh yes. So if you're poised to comment about the J bit of PBJ and reflect on the jelly/jam differential, please don't, because that's my jumping off point. Instead, try and come up with a clever idea of what alternative PBJ could stand for.

24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I LOVE peanut butter (but not with jam, never with jam, that is just. Plain. Wrong. And yes, I have tried it and do know what I'm talking about), and would definitely have some in my cupboard if both my sons weren't allergic to it. In fact, this allergy is probably a blessing in disguise for me as I would probably be carrying at least an extra 6lbs if pb were readily available at home...

    (But no clever alternative for pbj, I'm afraid. Am in the middle of preparing for one of the boy's birthday party and frankly my brain is too full of related nonsense to be clever...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally, going off at a tangent; yr 'apostrophe' comment was very topical. Did you know? yesterday there were ripples on the Radio 4 radio waves because Waterstone's has announced it is dropping its apostrophe because it is 'simpler & more convenient in a digital age'. I didn't get their explanation at all. Anyway you can imagine the interviews & discussions on Radio 4 yesterday!
    I LOVE PB with or wthout J. My husband look sat me in blank disbelief & uncomprehension ("how cd I have married somebody who eats that combo??")
    I think of PJs when i hear PBJ & Personal Best (as in timings, distances in sport etc)so my 1st thought wd be it means "Personal Best Jamas" For that 'very special sleepover' but not for achieveing a personal best in er......bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a rather racy comment from you, Paradise! Love it.

      I'm just trying out this new Blogger facility (which it introduced without asking me) for replying to individual comments. It's rather good, I think.

      Delete
  4. Peanut butter is one of the very few foods I positively can't stand. The boys don't like it either, but we do have it in the house because The Doctor eats it. I have to stand away when he's spreading it, I really do.

    I will never forget the day we ordered corn dogs by accident instead of hot dogs for the boys. The looks of horror on their faces.....

    I can't think of a suitable PBJ alternative, it just sounds a bit rude to me.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i say roof as in rufus. pronunciation depends on which part of the US you are in. i also say creek and not crick (when referring to a little stream). many many different dialects in the US

    but peanut butter? yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have guessed that meant peanut butter!
    In the school where I used to work, none of the staff could go in if they'd eaten a peanut butter sandwich (without brushing their teeth) and non of the pupils could take in any nuts with their packed lunches. There were so many nut allergies in that school. All staff had Epipen training.

    When I was a child, it was never heard of to get an allergy with peanuts. Everyone ate them from the shell and my own children ate peanut butter regularly. Maybe we were dead lucky....... or lucky not to be dead!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. PBJ? Hmmmmm.
    Purple Jelly Beans?

    Am with you on the peanut butter though. Still vividly recall being given the 'wrong' sandwiches in catholic pre-school (run by overzealous nuns) by my mother (my brother had mine) and having to surreptitiously swap them with a friend.
    I was four.
    Scarred me for life, as you can see.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, in our 8 year old potty-mouth house, it probably means "Potty Butt something-or-other". Sigh. Yes, we're at that stage in boyhood. Again.

    I read most of this aloud to the Ball & Chain (when I could breathe, laughing too much) and he rolled his eyes a lot and said to tell you you're a Philistine. The R pronunciation reasoning made him laugh out loud too though.

    I have a love-hate relationship with peanut butter. The boys eat it, but the Queenager positively gags with the smell. Very occasionally I will have some on a cracker, but yes, it cloys. (But I love Marimite..) Coincidentally, today we had some peanut butter and chocolate concoction and gaaaaad it was 'orrible. I'm not a chocolate fan anyway, so it was all too much for me.

    And finally - I can't believe that PB&J hasn't crossed the Pond (just when I've ended Pond Parleys, eh?). They even sell the mixed up, swirly jars of the stuff here don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have Tweeted this. Sorry.
    Also - I've just realised you said PBJ. We say "PBandJ". Must be a regional thing. (Look at us - we've gone native.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, I know! Been out of the US too long, I still say peanut butte and jelly. (I don't say Mac and cheese either).

    PS-- I saw your britmums badge is all wonky (a british term), you can get new one here:
    http://www.britmumsblog.com/badges/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love PBJ especially strawberry jam! smooth not crunchy... hate PB cups though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Expat Mum is right - you deserve the "MUST GO AND READ THIS" award.

    I detested PB&J as a kid (yes, we use the "and" as well), and could only eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches. The best part was when the honey would harden the bread after a few hours of being sat in my back pack. Yummy - mouth watering.

    Alternative to PBJ = Probation Before Judgment

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up allergic to peanuts, so I've only acquired a taste for peanut butter in adulthood. However, I really only like the natural stuff and never a PBJ. Gasp! I know, I must not be a real American! I'm actually appalled at times by how much my fellow expats from the US crave the stuff. Sigh. Definitely one of those things that makes me feel like I belong neither here nor there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As you know, I love peanut butter.

    I am ok with PB&J, and I do quite enjoy Reeses peanut butter cups (mmmm!), though not so keen on Reeses pieces. The one I thought was weird was peanut butter and fluffernutter. I had to try it and actually appreciated why people liked it, but I still maintain you ha to grow up with that one.

    Peanut butter and honey mixed together is very nice.

    Hilarious post!

    Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh! New blogger facility? Why don't I have that?

    Love the apostrophe too, by the way. And peanut butter cups. Which is weird because I'm not mad on peanut butter, and I don't really like American chocolate (not weird as clearly it's horrid).

    ps fascinated that Lois grew out of a peanut allergy - I thought it got worse, not better.

    pps I thought PBJ was going to be a presidential candidate I hadn't heard of. Like JFK, or FDR, or LBJ (did I make that one up?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a bit of a nut about most nut butters. Especially peanut. All but my youngest love them too-- which makes packing lunches so much easier too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously, how can one not like peanut butter and chocolate? The perfect combination and Reese's said so in their ads many moons ago. Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter eggs at Easter time are heaven! Now peanut butter and honey, or peanut butter and banana (the Elvis sandwich)I never got into. Peanut butter, especially if you get the healthy kind, is a very good and cheap source of protein for lunch. I missed it the most when I lived in England, along with Mexican food. Luckily I had access to an American commissary on base where I could get my fix. It wasn't long because my Scottish husband was hooked on Jif.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember visiting rural relatives as a little girl and being very confused as to what a "ruff" was, until I gathered up my context clues and realized that it was a "roof". Definitely a regionalism in America, but I think roof-as-in-rufus is the norm in most of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This has reminded me of a story: in Palm Springs last year, in an achingly hip hotel, my husb ordered the ALT sandwich on the menu. He asked for the "alt", as in the computer key, sandwich. "Oh, you mean the A.L.T.?" the waitress said, witheringly. (Being veggie I saw it for what it was, a cool take on the BLT....)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love PB&J, but I am an American, so there's that. In fact, I love PB with a host of things, including sandwiches that contain PB, bananas and mayo or honey. On white or whole wheat.

    PB&Mayo may go part way to explaining the obesity epidemic...

    Anyway, I don't live in the US, I live in Lima, Peru. One of the most FAQs that we have on the expat forum I moderate is "Where can I find peanut butter???" It's actually easily found in the supermarkets, but incredibly expensive.

    My Peruvian stepsons were not fond of PB the first time I made it for them. But after a couple of times, it's become one of their favorites. Sadly, because as noted above, it is incredibly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another staple from the American childs menu (at least in my house): mac & cheese with hot dogs cut up into it. What was my mother thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  22. its a choice...but mine would be a blt!although i do like peanut butter and carrots..is that a scottish thing, or me thing?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love PBJ, love Reeces, love PB with chocolate, love PB milkshakes. Nutter Butters too! Thank you for introducing the word 'cloy' to me - at first I thought you meant 'coy' with a typo. I'm telling ya, the English use words that are completely hidden in the American dictionaries! Such a great descriptive word - I'll see if I can slip it in this week in conversation :)

    Thank you for linking this to Post Of The Month Club - I always enjoy your posts A LOT! XoLaura

    ReplyDelete