Thursday, June 16, 2011

I really love the NHS

I was wondering whether it would be more cost effective to have 14-yo's eyes tested and buy new specs for him in the US or the UK. In the end, I decided to wait till we got to the UK. I'm so glad I did.

True, the eye test was in a rather dingy and small room, and wasn't as thorough as in the US, where you have drops put in, photos taken, air puffed at you, and who know what else. It was just with one person, whereas in the US, the preliminary stuff is done by an assistant, until the moment comes when The Ophthalmologist arrives and finishes the process. True, we'll wait a week or so for the glasses, whereas in the US it's usually 2 or 3 days. True, the display of frames wasn't in a spacious showroom, and it was all a bit cramped. I expect if I was American, I'd have thought it was rather shabby and I wouldn't have liked perching on a small chair in the corner while they measured 14-yo's forehead, and the whole experience might have seemed rather... what's the word?... can't think... well, just not very swish.

However, there were huge advantages. The NHS paid for the test, and then gave us a voucher to spend on glasses. Boots will then give you a child's pair of glasses for free (the NHS voucher covers some of the cost, and Boots subsidises the rest). But because Boots also had a buy one get one free offer, we decided to use the voucher towards adult frames, and we walked out having chosen two pairs of prescription glasses (one plain, one sunglasses), with all the fancy non-scratch coating and other stuff that you usually have to pay extra for, for 62 GB pounds. How fabulous is that? Very fabulous, that's how fabulous. Very fabulous indeed, when I think that in the US, because eye care isn't covered by our insurance, I've spent over $200 on an eye test for a child. Then when I've actually had to buy glasses, it's been at least $200 a pair.

Another issue is that anything health-related always takes so long in the US. It's partly because they're so thorough, but I can't help suspecting that part of it is because you need to feel the cost is justified. A lot of the time seems to be spent in moving you from one suite of rooms to another, leaving you to wait, considerable peering at computer screens and checking your details, researching different costs of lenses according to their thickness and lightness, and getting you to fill in forms which say "You, oh Ophthalmologist and all who work here, are not liable for anything, anything, anything. I will never sue you, never, never, never, no matter what you do, even if you gouge my eyes out, or deliberately amputate one of my limbs without anaesthetic, or sell my child abroad, or decapitate my husband, I promise I won't sue you, and if I do, you can point to this piece of paper and prove that it wasn't your fault".

We were in and out of Boots in 45 minutes. I didn't fill in a form, beyond my son's name, address in England, and telephone number. The people were friendly and helpful, though clearly very busy.

To sum up: 45 minutes, eye test, two pairs of prescription specs, 62 pounds. Result.

.

23 comments:

  1. So is the NHS better than Sharpies then? (Tricky one that - sorry...)
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did you manage that? I was told very pointedly the last time we were in the UK that we'd been out of the country too long to have NHS coverage! Just feeling bitter, because I've spent way more than that this week replacing just the lenses in just one pair of DD's glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Result indeed... (and fyi, don't know if it would have been covered by the NHS but if you had taken your son to Boots Opticians for the tests he would have had all the puffy air, drops etc you could handle...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really could have used an NHS-style service when my glasses unexpectedly snapped at my temp position of the month late last year. No insurance, no money, Dad gave the glasses store his credit card details over the phone to help me out. The eye doc took pity on me and charged me half-price for the appointment, one of his nurses gave me an employee discount coupon that reduced the price of my new glasses, and though the store clerk tried her hardest to sell me more expensive frames, I stuck to my guns and bought the cheapest frames they had (because I was spending Dad's money AND because I honestly did like them best) - $100 for the frames alone, and they were the cheapest in the store (maybe even on clearance).

    It's nice to see positive comments about the NHS, because a lot of Brits I know don't seem to realize just how bad it COULD be. I really don't like my country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. Getting a pair of specs in America can be a major production. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the NHS so far (and I'm a yankee).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you hear the quiet chant in your brain saying: move back, move back, move back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The NHS sure does have its flashes of brilliance. I still can't believe that I was a foreigner, and still got free hospital visits, free contraceptives, free A&E treatment, and so on when I was living in England as a student. It amazed me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get all those tests done (that you mentioned) in my eyes at Specsaver. Maybe its because of my age!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that, as you say, a lot of the to-ing and fro-ing and extra testing in the US is just to justify the cost. The NHS gives you the bare bones, but it's affordable - healthcare here is just out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As someone who has been in a minus 6 fog since the age of fifteen any eye test that gets clarity of vision is a good thing and speed is of the essence with glasses. I have my moments with the delightful old NHS but there are moments of joy - such as yours. Congrats xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always get the puff of air in the eyes (it's called a non-contact tonometer - you never know it might be the winning question in Who Wants to be a Millionaire) when I have my eyes tested. It's a test for interocular pressure which is a warning sign for glaucoma. I thought they only used it on older people as glaucoma doesn't really come on until middle age. My dad has glaucoma so since I reached 40 I've had free eye tests. I get all sorts of extra stuff done too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home Office Mum said that without me pointing anything into her back from the next village...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did a post in praise of the NHS this week too! I wouldnt be here without them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog! I loved this post so much I posted it on my Facebook. I know your blog is about specs, but what astonishes me is the cost of dental care over here in the US! I am actually considering going to the dentist when in the UK, as the costs are on a completely diff scale. The treatment is no better in the USA either from what I can gather, not for the ordinary person anyway, maybe if you're super rich...

    Paul
    http://fromsheeptoalligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh God! I was about to leave an appropriate comment about how expensive eye tests seem in the US, or something, but now I've realised I've already received three letters from Boots reminding me I need an eye test! *adds to list of jobs to do*.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Costs in the US are insane. I have learned to love the NHS. When I was pregnant I was at first sceptical about the care I would get through the NHS but some dodgey health visitors aside, I could not have had a better experience. When I think about what it would have cost us to have LLC in the States it boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. (Keep trying to post this. Bloody Blogger.)
    I am usually a big NHS cheerleader but they have seriously let my bro-in-law down in presumably, an effort to save costs. He called 999 last Monday with serious stomach pains - appendicitis. As soon as he got in, the staff knew it might be more serious but waited 24 hours to do surgery. By this time the pain had subsided (duh!) but his temp was out of control. The surgeon who saw him was furious that it had been left so long.
    Turns out his appendix had not only burst but exploded (along with the toxins) throughout his abdomen and perforated his bowel. The doc also told him, when all was over, that they had nearly lost him on the operating table, and now he needs to be in twice as long as usual. False economy and it will lead to an official complaint. Pah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well you already know how I feel about the NHS... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, those were some seriously cheap glasses! What a great deal. I am so sick of the US health care system. No matter what I go see a doctor about, it seems I'm immediately sent for expensive tests. I had a cough in Spring and went to the doc because I was pretty sure it was allergies. She gave me a prescription for a chest x-ray and a lung function test! So I waited and coughed for a month and sure enough I got better. Everything in this system is about money.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An excellent result. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you at Cybermummy, if you can spare me five minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had similar service at Costco in the US. A 10 dollar copayment for the eye test and a 100buck pair of specs. I do have insurance, but even without, costco is awesome. I even picked up some groceries, so two errands in one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the NHS too - my family loved it so much when they lived overseas for 10 years in China/Canada/USA they continued to pay national Insurance over here so they could benefit from it when they were back here visiting - do you do that? Do you give to the NHS too?

    ReplyDelete