Sunday, June 5, 2011

Birthday party

Yesterday we celebrated the 50th birthday of my older brother. Big family party. Thirty-five people: mostly first cousins, their spouses and children, and a few family friends. Sunny day. Outside on the lawn, chairs or rugs, depending on age and agility. Food and drink.

Aunts and uncles saying to children "Goodness me, how can you have got so big?" and "Sorry, it's so boring when grown-ups say that, isn't it?" Children too polite to roll their eyes, but inwardly doing so. Then as the afternoon wears on, racing around the lawn, kicking a ball, thinking how very tedious it must be to be a grown-up - all that sitting and talking, talking, talking, and having to drink wine and coffee - yuk! - and saying no to birthday cake or just a very small slice please. They don't know that we watch them, and remember, and know their secret thoughts.

Stolen moments in the kitchen with my younger brother. "Too many people out there? Yes, me too." "Nice though..." "Oh yes, very nice." Nice party. Nice kitchen interlude. Nice being with people who understand the hundred words you haven't said, when you just use one. Nice.

"Are you having a nice time, Iota?" Husband at my side. I smile. He knows I am. He knows how I love these events, and how sad I am at the many we've missed. 'Big 0' birthday gatherings, 21sts, 18ths, weddings, even humble common or garden Christmases. I see my children with their relations, chasing, falling, laughing, getting cross, tears before bedtime. The oldest of that generation is 21 later this month; the youngest is 4 months old. Blood is thicker than water. I see my own generation of cousins, the women more like our mothers each time we meet. I see my mother and aunt, who nurtured our love of these big gatherings Christmas by Christmas, year after year, planning the day, cooking the meal, creating the atmosphere, teaching us how to celebrate, how to enjoy each other's company. "Yes", I reply, even though he knows the answer. "I'm just sitting here and letting the family flow around me." And then I think that's a rather brilliant way of summing it up.

My older sister's 50th party was one of the ones we missed. I received the lab results from a lumpectomy the evening before. Cancer. Bad enough being estranged from the family gathering. Hadn't foreseen a cancer diagnosis on top of that. It was a very long Saturday. I didn't phone till the day after the party. Didn't think the news would add much to the party ambiance.

I don't know what that party was like. It's one of those conversations I've never had with my family. Probably never will have. Did they chat away bravely to guests, eyeing each other occasionally and taking a deep breath? Or had I not really intimated what the lumpectomy might reveal? Oh, how very me that would have been. Yes. I'd probably told them that I was having the lump out and implying that would be the end of it. Perhaps I believed that myself.

Two years on, my sister also finds a kitchen moment with me. She puts her arm round my shoulder. "I'm glad you're my sister," she says. "I'm glad you're my sister too," I reply. What more to say?

I'm sitting in the sunshine. Big brother is doing the rounds with a bottle of champagne. "More for you?" He waggles the bottle in my direction, puts a hand on his stomach and makes a slight retch, a wicked reference to the fact that only two days ago, I was confined to bed by a horrible sick bug. I grin brazenly and hold out my glass. I've had a whole day in between to recover, and I'm not going to miss out on this celebration. I have so much to celebrate.

.

11 comments:

  1. Sing HURRAH for lovely memory building/affirming times. And many happies to Big Brother. Nice that he's watching you, I expect. What a toppity top post.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, I love big gatherings and always wanted to be part of a big family. I married into one but then we emigrated so miss all the events now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry. I miss my family so much. Beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful. I miss those family gatherings too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears for me too. This year my sister is throwing a party for me, which will be great fun. I often think that I've deprived my kids of all this family stuff. They have no cousins here and my husband's family is tiny. When we're in England with all the kids and the badminton over the washing line, etc. they really love it.
    Oooh, can't wait. Not too long now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Really nice. So glad you had a nice time. Though, in fact, sounded simply wonderful. That's what I miss, that's what I am so looking forward to about going home. One of the things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to be home for a celebration like that. And yes, it IS hard to be away for them... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous post, capturing perfectly the melancholy of living far away. I hope you are loving your visit home! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to make you jealous, all you Iota fans out there, I spent the WHOLE afternoon and early evening with her and her lovely 7 yo today, here in Berkshire, England. You'll be glad to hear we chatted loads and drank several lovely cups of tea, each punctuated with a proper "ooh lovely." The reddish hair looks great, btw, in case you were worrying about her. A fabulous day with a spectacular person.
    love Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely post, Iota. So glad you had a good time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. "They don't know that we watch them, and remember, and know their secret thoughts."

    Perfectly written! Great post.

    ReplyDelete