Friday, January 9, 2009

Bloggers are getting younger these days

Soon after I started this blog, and flushed with the excitement of writing, I began to wonder if I could write a book about moving to America. In fact, I gave up the blog (or tried to) for a while, with that in mind. I have to confess I didn’t get very far (and I missed the blog too much to leave it). Let’s be honest, I didn’t actually start. I did talk about it though, and 11-yo liked the idea. He offered to co-write the book with me, and that gave me another idea. Perhaps we could produce a book about the move, written from both perspectives. The mature, wise, reflective story of the adult, interspersed by the fresh, immediate, youthful comments of the child. I thought a publisher might like that.

There’s just one glitch. I’ve not written any of my sections. 11-yo has rather put me to shame. He's written 5,500 words, although he's only got as far as the point at which we arrive in our new city and are met at the airport. We both have some way to go.

I can’t tell you how interesting it has been for me to read his account of events, and to get insights into what it was like for him to be a player in them. I thought you would like to read his work too, so here are the first 500 words or so. I removed real names, and made one factual interjection, but otherwise it is completely unedited. I hope you enjoy the read.

Our family moved overseas from Scotland to America, and I am here to tell you about it.

It all started when I was in primary 4. I got home from school, did the usual things I would do on a Friday afternoon after school, and mum and dad called 5-yo and 2-yo and me into the dining room. 2-yo and 5-yo are my brother and sister. Mum and dad sat us all round our circular table, and told us that we were going to move from our house in Scotland near the sea, all the way over to America, almost as far away from the sea as you can possibly get. It was shocking news at the time to all of us, but also, it was exciting as you could imagine. 5-yo and 2-yo then started asking question after question to mum and dad, some of them unanswerable, but some of them where good questions. They were questions like, “How big is the city?” Or “When are we going?” Those types of questions. So, we had a little chat, and then went back to doing Friday afternoon things, and mum went off to make dinner.

The weekend after we heard the news passed very slowly, because I was very excited about telling everyone about us moving across seas. Of course, at the time, it seemed like a very long time till it actuarially moved, which at the time, was true. It was at least a year and a quarter, if not longer.
[It was 6 months. Ed.] So, the weekend slowly went by, doing weekend jobs, watching a bit of TV, and shopping for food, and weekend jobs. Finally, it got to Sunday though, and in the morning we went to church. The Sunday afternoon went by slower that Saturday though.

Finally, after the whole weekend, a whole 48 hours, Monday came. I had never been so excited to go to school in my whole life, and when I got there, it was the same as always, busy, people everywhere, people playing, people lining up to go inside, and so on. We went inside after the bell rang, and we hung up our bags and our coats, bought in our homework and books, and got ready to begin working, but as always, people where standing up and turning in homework, and telling the primary 4 teacher things they want her to know, or telling her things she needs to know, maybe something about homework. That was the chance I had to tell her the news, and then that would be when the news got out. I also told some of my friends beforehand. When the teacher heard, she was shocked, but also happy for me, and she asked me why we were moving, which was a good question, and I answered, “Because my dad has got a job in America, he is teaching at a university.” This was true, and I am not the kind of person who lies, especially in this situation. Anyway, my best friend was quite shocked as well, in fact probably more shocked than anybody else in the classroom except for me, but of course I already knew the news, I found out two days ago, so I probably wasn’t the most shocked after all.

21 comments:

  1. Isn't a child's perspective on events interesting? I loved reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has clearly inherited his mum's writing talent - a really, clear and interesting read. I love the build up to his breaking his news to the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It gives you some insight, doesn't it? I like the part that he wouldn't lie, especially about something like this (cute).

    As it is a Big Deal for us, it is a Big Deal for them too. I ignored that when we moved back here with 5-yr-old to start school, and she was so traumatized that she didn't speak in public for three months! (all sorted now).

    Write that book, both of you. We would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - I hope you post the other 5,000 words! I especially love the details that we might deem otherwise unimportant, such as sitting around the circular table. Would the news have gone so well had it been, say, rectangular?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how much fun that was to read. Kids have such an interesting way of looking at things.

    Also, I think that book idea has enormous potential. What a unique idea. If you need a writing buddy to prod you to write (and whom you get to prod in return), give me a shout. Lord knows, I need all the prodding I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great and your son has a really nice "voice." I really enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this. I wonder how many of us bloggers do have or did at one point have the aspirations of book writing? Perhaps we should write a chapter each in a tome on expat life instead of each writing our own stories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say scrap your 'voice' and do the whole thing from his perspective. There's a whole market out there for family-based experiences (which I can tell you more about) but more importantly, there are lots of writers (including me) doing this. You have a much better angle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Nappy Valley Girl - 11yo has a really great gift for writing which I admire. He has remembered it all in such detail.

    Thank you for sharing, care and huggles from Wellington, NZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to read a book like this and adored this little sample. Too short though - I want more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This kid is great. I am so impressed. Your book idea is a good one but if 11-yo finishes first, get his draft to a publisher ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was lovely, he has indeed a gift for describing a scene vividly with attention to detail, & lots of feedback for you re writing a book. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that was really good and definitely worth continuing with, or, cough, starting, nudge.

    I love how he writes and agree with nappy valley girl, he has a talent for writing like his mum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a superb idea for a book; do it, now, before 11yo gets any older and becomes self-conscious about his writing.
    Thanks so much for visiting my site, and for taking the time to comment on every post (I know there aren't that many yet, but still...!) (((()))))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a star he is! Reading it immediately reminded me of when I was a child and my parents told us that they were getting divorced. I remember the details of where we were, how we were sitting too. Please get him to keep on writing it and keep posting more for us to read. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's great! Get him writing before he forgets all the important little details.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like a great idea for a book - get writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stumbled upon your blog and am enjoying reading :) I think you should let your 11yo do a guest slot every so often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I'm impressed. The kid's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i think he's got a book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my first visit to your blog and I love this post from your son...you should get him blogging too or doing guest posts on yours :)

    I'll be back for sure (to read your stuff as well as his!)

    ReplyDelete