Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Vile dins

I left this story as a comment on a blog. Two people said they liked it, which I thought justified me sneaking it in as an entry on my own blog.

I was once listening to The Archers. David and Ruth were having an argument and in the background there was the tortured scraping of a child playing the violin. "That is so unrealistic", I thought. "The BBC sound effects department were obviously having a laugh that day. It never sounds THAT bad." Then the signature tune (da da-da da-da da-daa) came and went. But strangely the violin scraping continued. It was my own son in the next room.

This is a true story. It has a happy ending. He persevered with the violin, and now plays with attack and confidence. The scraping days are over, and I hope he is on the way to enjoying a musical instrument for many years to come, and maybe for life.

I could listen to The Archers here, by internet, but I don't. It wouldn't be the same somehow. The storylines weren't grabbing me at the time we left Scotland in any case, and it seemed a good time to sign off. I wondered if there was a US equivalent, which I could listen to on the radio as I potter about the kitchen (does anyone listen to The Archers anywhere except the kitchen?) I think it would be a good step towards integration to get dug into an Archers' equivalent. I've heard about a radio show called The Prairie Home Companion, which sounds like it might be worth tuning into. I'll let you know how I get on. And how realistic the children sound effects are. It'll never have such a good signature tune, though. That's for sure. Those familiar jaunty violins...

7 comments:

  1. Iota - my husband, a former farmer in his old life, instantly reaches for the off button whenever he hears 'da da da da da da' swearing about 'bloody rubbish' & usually stomps off with sarcastic aside "You're not listening to THE ARCHERS now are you?" Actually, I don't deliberately listen, just sometimes by default.

    Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should start listening to your local National Public Radio (NPR) station. Prarie Home Companion is a national treasure. I've been listening since I was a child. I think you'll enjoy it. It's a mixture of local, national and international news along with talk radio and human interest type stories. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i live in minnesota so i'm the prairie home companion expert. i even saw garrison keillor at a local eatery not too long ago.

    (but my favorite thing to listen to on the radio? Documentaries on One on RTE. i download 'em from itunes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following up on your Walmart feature, could you do me a favour and go and check out Pottery Barn sometime? I have been intrigued about it ever since it featured on Friends... It seemed a little controversial, so don't kit your house out from there until you have established local opinions! I'll look forward to your report. Fran x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Prairie Home Companion. It's a love it or hate it kind of thing. I do love it, Garrison Keilor has a very warm voice, but I have a friend who just doesn't understand it.

    Now I'm off to Google The Archers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never listened to The Archers but I get the feeling that it is the kind of thing that would sooth the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm...I'm afraid to say that not only do I listen to The Archers in the kitchen, if I miss it I do Listen Again at my desk. And my husband has a similar reaction to Lizzie's. Sad, huh?

    ReplyDelete