Friday, August 17, 2007

Hot tea

We all have bad days. This wasn't even a bad hair day. Just a bad day.

There is just under a week left of the school holidays (and I believe I've mentioned that they are 3 months long here... read my lips... 3 months long...). I have no imagination left. I have no patience left. I do however have two children left. Don't worry, I haven't done away with any of them. One is out at a friend's (hurrah! we've finally done enough inviting round for them to be invited back, hurrah! hurrah!).

Now I know we ex-pats look at Blighty through rose-tinted spectacles. Even so, I do think certain things in my life would be easier if I were back there now. This afternoon, for one. This is what I would do if I were in Scotland. I would go out. I know, I know. It's rained all summer ("summer?" you grunt). You're all sitting there feeling very grumpy and sorry for yourselves. But I would spot that half hour of grey dampness, in between the downpours and the drizzle, and I would force them out. There would be resistance, subversion, complaining, plea bargaining, lost wellies, but I would persist. The rain would possibly have set in again by the time I'd got every one togged up (at what age do they do this themselves without badgering?), but out we would go. The park, the beach, a walk, anywhere. By car first if necessary. I have a friend whose motto for the care of children is this: if in doubt, fling them out. You need to watch her near any open windows, but I do agree with the general sentiment.

I can't do that here. Outdoors doesn't exist in the same way. The neighborhood pool is now open only after 4.00pm, since a lot of the schools have gone back - "school hours" they call it. It's somewhere between 95 and 100 degrees, so the park isn't an option. This is not just me being a wuss. The swings and slides are too hot for the backs of small legs. We've done a short stint in our nice shady garden (back yard... whatever...). That's all the options.

Plan B in the UK would be this: a soft play centre (I said I had no imagination left). They're vile places aren't they? Vile, but we love them on afternoons like this. I would be sitting in a large barn of a building, inadequately ventilated, full of screeching children. The noise level would be uncomfortable for adult ear-drums. The smell of damp socks would pervade the atmosphere. The dust would irritate the back of my throat. 3-yo would bite small chunks of dirty foam out of grubby balls, and then laugh when I told her not to. The third or fourth time, I would say "if you do that again, we'll have to go home" and then instantly regret it. She might do it again. I would be sitting at a plastic table on a wobbly plastic chair. I would have optimistically purchased a cup of tea. It would be horrid. It would be in a polystyrene cup. They would have put the milk in when the bag was still in. The bag would now be floating around, unable to turn the white water a sufficiently encouraging shade of brown. They would have filled the cup too full, so the so-called tea it would slosh over the edge at any attempt to prise a little more colour and/or flavour out of the bag. I would have scalded my tongue (I hate polystyrene cups). I might also have a nasty flabby danish pastry in a sealed plastic pocket. I might eat it to make myself feel better about the tea.

Sounds appealing, huh? Well, that's what rosy-tinted specs do for you. But let me tell you this. I live in a city of 500,000, and there is no soft play centre. Strange, but true. I'll tell you why. Several of the McDonalds and Burger Kings have very small play areas. Very small, but better than nothing. It's a poor alternative, but you can buy a coke (the food is not compulsory, I've discovered) and sit and watch your children as they burn off excess energy. Or write a blog entry. I don't have a whizzy lap-top, so it's just with plain old pen and paper for future transcription. I tell you, this could be a blockbuster about a boy at a school for wizards, if I was in a romantic coffee shop in Edinburgh and not a greasy Maccy D's in a soft-play-centre-free zone in the Midwest.

And the tea? Well, I did give it a try. This was a rather exciting moment, actually. Hot tea is rare to find. Iced tea abounds (hate the stuff), but hot tea is a rarity. So when I saw it on the board, I thought I could redeem the afternoon by discovering that McDonalds' tea is surprisingly good. That would have been a cheering moment. Would have been. If the tea had been surprisingly good. Their coffee is so surprisingly bad that, my first week here, I took mine back to the counter saying "I think there's a mistake, I didn't order a mocha", and the girl said "this isn't a mocha".

The tea thing started badly this afternoon. I asked for hot tea, and the girl simply didn't understand me. This has never happened before. After repeating "hot tea, tea, hot tea" several times, I eventually just pointed to it on the board. "Oh, haht tea", said the girl. I made the mistake of ordering a large. Of course I should know by now. Large is too large. A cup of tea the size of a bucket is not appealing. Then I asked for creamer. I know not to ask for milk, but usually when you have coffee, you get creamer in small sachets. But not in McDonalds. The girl had to go and ask her supervisor, who got a small cup of cream out of the coffee machine. They had never met anyone who liked cream in tea. I don't like cream in tea. They were doing their best though, so I just said "we do in England, or milk, sometimes". It was not looking promising at this stage. I had a bucket of dark tea (good colour though, which was something), and a small bucket half full of cream. My hopes were not high, but they were still there. That was until I discovered that the dark bucket was filled with warm water. Ah well. At least I wouldn't be scalding my mouth.

My final problem. How to dispose of the large amount of unwanted beverage I now had. I didn't like to leave it, which seemed a bit ungrateful after they'd tried so hard to overcome the accent and the milk issues. I didn't feel I should put it in the trash - all that liquid sloshing around in a plastic bin liner could cause trouble. I didn't want to be seen sneaking off to the restroom, cup in hand. In the end, I tipped it down the water fountain, holding it in front of me and hunching my back to hide it and to give the impression that I was bending to drink. Fortunately, we were the only people in the play area at this point. Oh good. I was hoping I would find a "fortunately" somewhere in this story, and there it is.

9 comments:

  1. Living in Canada, we did something called "iced tea" which was just powdered crystals taht had a vaguely lemon flavour when you added water. I grew up on proper tea. My great-grandmother wouldn't have it any other way.

    Moving to the south, they have something called "sweet tea". It's iced tea mixed with sugar syrup, and it's more syrup than tea. It's ghastly. I actually don't mind iced tea, I just drink it without sweetener, which makes me a pariah, here. But I do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rockies sound fab, love The Archers story (and I don't think they work outside the kitchen)and the promise of good tea is the one thing that keeps bringing me home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, Iota. That sounds trying. I'll never take a nice cup of tea for granted again after reading your lovely posting. Have you tried the site www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com by Nicey and Wifey? Nothing to do with me. But has won lots of prizes for its mixture of cake and tea commentary. If it's any consolation, from where I'm sitting, unbearable heat sounds just wonderful. Edinburgh isn't just wet this year, it's awash. Parks are part-flooded even up here, on relatively high ground, and everyone's tramping round is strange rain gear. The coffee shops are damp and overcrowded, though they do serve hot tea in normal-sized cups with milk, without any fuss. Mind you, with these weather conditions, the government would probably have a rebellion on its hands if hot tea wasn't available on request to keep dampened morale up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Iota, I'm sorry it was a bad day, but it was a very funny read, the haht tea had me roaring. Here, in hotels, they always serve tea with haht milk which drives me bats. it's haht tea with cold milk. on the side. or lemon. not cream or anything else. why is it so hard for the rest of the world to get it wrong: it's a tea bag in a mug of boiling water for god's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of the American neighbour when we lived in Jamaica as kids. She invited my mum in for a cup of haht tea one afternoon. "I made it this morning but it didn't get drunk". And on the other hand there was the time on a visit to Taiwan when I was desperate for a glass of cold, not hot, water. Many misunderstandings later, I found myself standing next to a little old lady who was supervising a steaming copper cauldron of - yes - boiling hot water. If only I'd had a teabag to hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this made me smile, broadly.

    i'm just back from san francisco. it was sunny and warm yesterday, and my friend and i walked for two hours and got sunburned and went to a little chinese restaurant in Noe Valley for a late lunch and the smiing hostess immediately brought us over a pot of hot tea.

    it was just what we needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm thinking the grass is always a little greener, because really? Soft play? After 2 near solid months of horrific weather? You've got some selective amnesia going on there if you thing that would be a good idea, my friend. :)

    Sorry the tea didn't work out for you and that it was such a lousy day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 months!!

    You must be suffering if you're reminiscing over soft play centres - that was a vivid evocation - made me laugh.

    Burger Tings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work for McDonalds Canada, and we are only now just going to be selling Hot Tea. The tea we use is "Higgins & Burke".

    We have 4 Flavors:
    - Orange Pekoe
    - Earl Grey
    - Green Tea

    And forgive me I forget the last one, but I believe it was a berry flavor. We only just were informed today about the new teas.

    Were also going to have new cups for our coffee and tea, as well as new coffees!

    & Because we want everyone to come and see how great our new selection is, were going to be giving it away for FREE!

    I believe the start date was March 31st? Anyways, just keep an eye out, as more exciting things are coming to Canadian McDonald's!

    ReplyDelete