Monday, August 20, 2007

School supplies

Actually, school doesn’t supply. That is why, at this time of year, you will see hoards of mothers looking hassled, clutching lists, and stocking up their carts in the “Back to School” section in Wal-Mart. The deal seems to be that your child doesn’t just have to have a pencil case with a few things in it; he/she has to help the school out with basics like paper, white board pens and erasers, boxes of tissues, disinfectant wipes, and various other daily items. I’m sure it would be cheaper and easier for the school to bulk buy these things. There must be some historical reason for this bring-and-share approach. Maybe it goes back to pioneering days, when times were hard and people mucked in. My guess is that though this is a chore and source of parental complaint, there would be a general sadness if the system changed and the lists were no longer handed out. It seems to be something of a rite of passage from one grade to the next, from the summer holidays to the new school year. I suppose the equivalent for British mums would be buying uniform.

The list is somewhat mystifying for an incomer. First there are the unfamiliar brand names. I’m going to include a few, for the sake of any Americans abroad who can go all nostalgic and misty-eyed at this point. Fiskars scissors, Crayola, RoseArt, Elmers glue, Ziploc bags, Merriam Webster dictionary. There. Had your fix?

Next comes the complication of familiar words with different meanings. Crayons on the list are wax crayons. What I think of as crayons are down as colored pencils. Felt tips are called markers, or I think just Crayola will do (I might be wrong on this). And Pony beads? But this isn’t just me. No-one seems to know what Pony beads are, except 3-yo’s Preschool. Then there are intriguing things like “1-1/2” three ring zippered binder (no trapper keepers)”. Actually, I do know what this object is. I really do. I haven’t fathomed what “1 hand-held pencil” could be, though. How could it possibly differ from the packet of ordinary #2 pencils I have bought? Are these non-hand-held in some way? Do kids plug them into their iPods these days?

Finally, there are the items which seem pretty straightforward, but which turn out to have a twist. At this point, one has to try to get inside the mind of an elementary school teacher. For example, “1 large pink eraser”. For me, the eraser has already used up enough of my mental energy by requiring me to remember not to call it a rubber (titter titter), so I am certainly not going to question why it has to be pink. I’ll just buy pink ones and think of a way of persuading the boys that they’re not girlie. Then there is the “1 box (15 or more) quart size FREEZER EZ slide Ziploc bags”. However, it seems that you can’t buy freezer Ziploc bags with an Easy Zipper slide. You just can’t (at least not in SuperTarget). It’s one or the other. So which is more important to the teacher? That she can put them in the freezer, or that they have zipper slides? Can’t have both. I went for the zipper slide (even though FREEZER was in capitals). How many of my children’s school activities need to be frozen, after all?

I can’t let this list pass by without telling you Brits about the superb Sharpie. A Sharpie pen is a permanent marker. That’s all really. They get me very excited though. You can write names on things that I’m sure British permanent markers can’t handle: plastic carrier bags, pencils and felt tips, hand-held sharpeners, water bottles that go through the dishwasher. When you’ve written a name with the Sharpie, it is dry instantly, so you don’t get that smear effect that you usually do, from rubbing your finger over to test whether it’s ok to rub your finger over. The Sharpie is a nice shape, stubbier than a felt tip, but gently rounded, like the fuselage of an aeroplane. I like the name Sharpie, too. I can get more excited about a Sharpie than a permanent marker, just as I can get more excited about a Biro than a ball point pen. I need to get out more.

Oh, and one other thing about the “Back to School” shopping experience. Hallowe’en costumes are in the stores already.

Post Script

Aha. I have solved the mystery of the hand-held pencil. I didn’t dare go and ask in Wal-Mart, although it might have been rather public spirited of me, giving a few sales assistants a good laugh on a Sunday night. Instead, I asked another mom at school. She explained that a hand-held pencil is the result of a typographical error. It should have been joined onto the next item on the list: “sharpener”. The object in question is a hand-held pencil sharpener. And in case you are equally mystified by this, let me pass on the explanation. If they just put “sharpener” on the list, some kids turn up with one which is the size of half a brick, which you plug into an electric socket. Saves you all that work of rotating the pencil yourself, but annoys the teacher as you have to get up from your desk to plug it in. So in fact I wasn’t far off with the iPod thought.

18 comments:

  1. Ahh... Elmer's Glue. :)

    I'm pretty sure school supply lists started out as a big F.U. on the public schools' part after all of the budget cuts of the last 15 years or so. "You don't want to fund us? Fine... buy your own damn Kleenex."

    Your list actually looks reasonably short (though I have no earthly idea what Fiskars scissors or Pony beads are). In my old community, the lists are insanely long and include such essentials as a sock. Yes, each child must bring one sock to school at the beginning of the year (not a pair! Just one! Preferably new, definitely clean!). They use them to erase the wipe boards apparently. No idea what would be so wrong with using erasers for such a purpose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness me, i found ALL of that really quite fascinating! i feel i have learnt loads! and how funny that you have to contribute towards paper, tissues etc. and the freezer bags?? - please let us know why these are required, when you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iota, I too am getting excited about Sharpies - they sound really great! Or maybe it's your descriptive powers again, lovely!

    Hey - maybe you could start up a British export business....

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not really a big F.U. it's that voters for the last 30 years or so have been steadfastly voting down referendums that fund schools, and state legislatures refuse to allocate more money for schools, so teachers don't get paid well, don't get raises, and schools get fewer and fewer supplies.

    i know a lot of teachers who buy the school supplies themselves, because they know that a lot of students' parents can't afford them. and the teachers don't make that much money themselves. very noble of them.

    your posting reminded me of the wonderful scent of rubber cement and elmer's glue and crayolas (which are the same as crayons, they're not the same as felt tips, which are also known as Flairs).

    and what's a biro?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son's supply list included the zip lock bags (gallon and sandwich size) and I don't know why. It was made clear to us that they aren't for the children, so all I can think are the teachers want them so they can put their own sandwiches in them.

    We also have to find dry erase markers, not EXPO brand. But EXPO seems to hold the market around here. It's like a treasure hunt now, I have a few more days to find the right markers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have to shop for school but there seems to be a real atmosphere leading up to starting school and buying for it seems to play a large part in the maintenance of that atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Note to merry weather - I saw Sharpies at a Super Tesco last weekend (Northamptonshire). It was a pleasant surprise to see a familiar brand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a Sharpie in Scotland, though there were times when I could have used one.

    I still love the smell of Elmer's Glue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sound of the Sharpie very much. And enjoyed the rest of this lovely posting too. But I'm worried about how you propose to convince the boys that pink is not a girly colour. Isn't the pink/blue gender divide one of the first lessons all children of whatever nationality learn shortly after birth? And that they must adhere to for the rest of their lives? If you find a good way to do this (and I'm pretty confident that you will, knowing you) please pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I popped over here from Rebecca's place...I'm a native Midwesterner who lived from three years in Aberdeen. For the last 16 years I've been in NJ, which is a whole different culture from the Midwest ;-)

    And I can help - you need a craft store for both the Fiskars scissors and the pony beads. Fiskars is a company that makes all kinds of sturdy, long-lasting scissors. They make a kid-friendly craft scissor, and if it's for your 3-year-old, I assume that's what the school wants. Pony beads are small squarish beads maybe 1 centimeter across that kids use for all sorts of craft projects. I'd look for a Michael's or other big craft store and head over to the kids' crafts area.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'm a teacher and laughed out loud at this post.
    FYI- Fiskars makes scissors of all sizes, but the ones for kids don't fall apart like most other brands.
    The zip-loc bags are not for our sandwiches! they are for storing game cards and word lists, letters for word games, numbers, counting items, craft supplies, etc. the freezer ones are requested because they are sturdier and the slider because it is easy and works. here in delaware the Fiskars are available almost evrywhere-Target, K-Mart, Walmart and Wlagreens. I don't know what pony beads are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I found your blog via Mother at Large and am really enjoying reading it. My kids have just gone back to school resplendent in new uniform but not a ziplock bag or Sharpie in sight. I've just put a link to this post on my blog http://edubuzz.org/blogs/guineapigmum/2007/08/21/parental-involvement/ so that the teachers of East Lothian can read it and marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Question from a Brit who has been brainwashed into believing Americans eat enormous quantities of food. Is a sandwich size ziplock bag bigger or smaller than a gallon one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. And another thing (thought I had posted this already but seem not to have - dull-witted, blame pregnancy hormones.)

    I thought I was having a hard time trying to find a dark green cardi and matching tights for my nearly 5-yo in my local Marks and Sparks!

    I think I will have to blog the purchase of school shoes which is surely a UK equivalent in terms of hassle. And actually, it would be quite nice to have a list of what uniform dd will need when she starts school in about 2 weeks time. It seems there is a strict code, but it is unwritten, so you just have to know somehow, subliminally, telepathically, whatever, or have a lot of friends with children at the school already who can advise... Otherwise it is all a bit of a minefield for a Mum/mom whose only experience of clothing a child mainly consists of pink, and whatever the child will agree to wearing that day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We didn't have school lists in California, so this was a real battle for me too. The lists are so detailed and the store is always out of at least one thing you need. Or has the wrong brand. Or something.

    I realized in reading this that even though I bought supplies a month ago in an organizational fit I left the kleenex until the last minute and sent my kids off to school without them.

    Bad mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, the yearly ritual of confusing school supply shopping.

    I always thought we should try to get those brand names to "sponsor" the list... : )

    If the teachers are going to demand a Ziploc brand - maybe Ziploc could kick in a few cents for the free advertising???

    ReplyDelete
  17. I detest shopping for school supplies. When I worked, I used to pre-order them through our parent/teacher organization. The PTO purchased supplies in bulk and then packaged them up for each child that paid in advance. It was a great fundraiser and a nice timesaver for working parents.

    When I stopped working, I discovered that I was paying about one and a half times what the supplies cost at WM, Target, and the like. But the hassle!

    I am probably revealing too much about my character by saying that it gives me great satisfaction to be sure I don't buy the specified brand when the teachers have the gall to specify. What they want is always the most expensive thing on the shelf.

    Please don't yell at me, teachers, my mom is a teacher and she also finds the practice of asking for particular brands asinine. A crayon is a crayon is a crayon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, ah, the joys of shopping for school. On our public school list, we also have boxes of tissues, bleach wipes and paper towels to bring in. Why? Because the school system won't cough up the cash for the teachers to stock their rooms, so the parents get to buy it, instead. And the teachers do, too, as Laurie mentioned. I think a quarter of my sister-in-law's salary goes to buy supplies for her classroom.

    ReplyDelete