Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Emergencies

Emily Yeung was visiting the 911 call centre. I don’t think they call it a call centre, actually. That’s something else. Something you wouldn’t really need in an emergency. Or at any other time. Anyway, emergency control command operation central centre, center, whatever. That’s where Emily Yeung was. Ah. You don’t know who Emily Yeung is? She is one of television’s best presenters. She is charming, intelligent, probing, polite, and very natural in front of the camera. She is 6 years old (and therefore “a big girl”) and she goes and does interesting things, or even everyday things, along with a film crew. It’s then edited into a very good 5 minutes of television for children. “You said that American kids’ tv is rubbish” I hear you say. I know, I know. Well, I’ve found another little nugget of good watching amongst the relentless cartoons. And actually, Emily Yeung is a Canadian production (I mention this because if I don't, some other smart alec will; a smart alec or a defensive Canadian).

Anyway, Emily Yeung was at the 911 place, and I started thinking to myself whether I wanted 3-yo to know about 911. She might get bad ideas. After all, Emily Yeung made it look rather fun. You get to pretend your teddy bear has fallen off a swing, and the paramedics come and play hospitals with you. Hm. I must remember to keep the phones out of reach.

This brings back memories of 10-yo, who loved the phone, and the times he dialed 999. Times. Yes. Three of them. But this is the sneaky thing. It was from three different locations: our house, and once from each grandparental home. So I avoided getting on the “very bad mothers who let their children play with the phone” register. In his defence, he didn’t mean to dial 999. Of course 999 was invented when dialing meant dialing, not pushing buttons (although we still say “dialing”, which must be rather confusing for the younger generation). It's clear that 999 would never have been chosen in the push button age. It is too obviously the combination that a wobbly toddler, pulling himself to stand at a desk on which a phone sits, and patting happily away at the buttons, is most likely to hit. That and the speaker on/off button, so that when his mother comes into the room, she is confused by the voice that is coming, seemingly out of nowhere, “Is Mummy there? Is anyone there with you? Where’s your Mummy?” Most disconcerting.

Yes, 911 is a much better number. Well done America. By the way, for those of you who have a phone-obsessed toddler, and want to know what happens if he dials the emergency services by mistake, don’t go out to a call box to try it. I’ll tell you for free. They confirm that there is no reason for the call, and then say “this is a service for emergencies and you are using valuable resources; please keep your child away from the phone in the future” which is totally fair enough, and you deserve to feel as small as you do. Don’t ask me what happens if they know your child does this repeatedly. That’s one for the public call box. Or we might find out if Emily Yeung ever visits a maternal correctional facility.

11 comments:

  1. I think that's funny. I mean it must be bloody annoying for the emergency worker on the end of the phone to find they're trying to have a conversation with a 3 year old but by the same token, it can't be as bad - or as time wasting - as a hoaxer. In Africa - because in lots of places the emergency services aren't up to much - people have panic buttons for emergency situations,usually security. A large attractive red shiny button, obvious and at a height easy to reach in case of - well - emergency. So in your panic you can find it and push it and security firm comes wailing to your rescue, sirens blaring, lights flashing, helmeted ''askaris"' spilling from the back of a pickup wielding truncheons. So quite embarrassing, as you can imagine, when you'are staying with friends with expensive panic button arrangment and dinner party interrupted because your child thought it was the light switch ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny about your kid calling 911. Did he dial those numbers randomly or did he know that he was calling 911?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a cross call from the emergency services when Ben was little.
    He'd called them without me even knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I love Emily. Her predecessor was Daniel Cook, same format, same concept. He was a little too cute, but Emily is very sweet.

    As for phone obessions...Our little one has figured out my cell phone number (she's four). It's always disconcerting when your cell rings and you realize...IT"S COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iota this post brings back memories.

    Miss E did this twice in one week.
    They were quite nice about it though and phoned back to check all was well.

    911 is so much better.

    Miss M hasn't hit 999 yet but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.

    We've moved house and changed numbers from when E did it so hopefully they won't be too mad when it inevitably happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun Facts (or Urban Myths) to Know and Tell . . . You may have noticed that the emergency number 911 is pronounced 9-1-1 (nine one one) and not 9-11 (nine eleven). I've been told that this is due to the fact that in the near, distant past a man was dying (supposedly) and told his wife to dial 9-11 but she was in a panic and thus couldn't find the 11, and so her husband ended up dying. Don't know if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Also, if I'm not mistaken, just pushing a bunch of numbers at random will give you access to the 911 system. I think that is true of 999 in the U.K. as our family received one, and perhaps two visits, from the local authorities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by to read me. No 1 son did 999 at Granny's house and I blushed when I got a 'row' from the operator. This post brought back memories of the green dialling phone we had when I was young. You are right, no wonder the kids are confused when we say dial the number, should we change it to 'push the number' doesn't have the same ring to it ha ha if you'll pardon the pun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And if the toddler hangs up, or they get no response to their questions, the police show up. And they want to make SURE it's a mistake and not domestic violence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how - with everything else my kids have done - that we've avoided this one, but we have. Yay.

    I did get a call from my eldest on a cell asking me, in the kitchen, to bring him more toilet paper in the bathroom.

    Isn't technology grand?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Feckers and a couple of friends (aged about 3,6,and 7) pushed the buttons for fun. The police rang back to confirm it was just kids but half an hour later they turned up on the doorstep and 'arrested' them. After a severe grilling in the kitchen they were 'released' into parental custody. They didn't do it again.
    I wish they would 'arrest' Big Fecker for breach of household hygiene laws!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of Emily Yeung. I too watch a great deal of children's TV and I've noticed there are very few "sincere" presenters, even amongst the ranks of the kids themselves!

    My kids have only ever dialled 999 in the care of their father while he was demonstrating how telephones worked ... it has happened with each of the three kids, he doesn't learn... it's the only time I ever hear him sounding crest-fallen!

    Maternal correctional facility - now there's a thought... is it true, I hesitate to ask...!

    ReplyDelete