Monday, September 10, 2007

Auntie Clara

Now I don’t normally like being tagged or memed, but this one from Jo Beaufoix has tickled my fancy.

The rules:

1) players must list one fact that is relevant to their life for each letter in their middle name. If you don’t have a middle name then use a name that you like.
2) the other rules are to do with how to pass the tag on to other bloggers, but instead of doing that, I'm just going to say, if you want to have a go, please feel free, and go to Jo's blog to get the full rules. (Sorry, cheating, I know).

I don’t have a middle name, so I am going to use the name Iota.

I is for Iota. Iota is the letter i from the Greek alphabet. Iota is I. Iota is me. I is therefore also for identity. I have long been fascinated by the relationship between fiction and fact; The Purple Rose of Cairo is one of my favourite films. I’m sure any blogger will tell you, blogging means you are drawn into this puzzle in your own life. I am Iota, but it's not as simple as that. She has developed a life a little apart from mine. She has her own friends. (I think she might be rather nicer than me, actually. And I fear more interesting.) This is part of the fascination of blogging.

O is for Olbas oil. Obviously.

T, as in a nice cup of.

A might be for America, a big part of my life at the moment, but that would be too obvious. It might be for A nice cup of T, but that’s a bit repetitive, and anyway, I wouldn’t want to limit myself to just the one. So A can be for Auntie Clara, Husband’s sister, who is coming to visit us this week.

Auntie Clara plays a pretty good initial letter game herself. I played it with her not all that long ago. I got the atlas out, and we went through it, seeing how far we could get through the alphabet on countries she has visited. She is the most widely and most interestingly travelled person I know. I was trying to remember which letters she has left, and have just discovered that she has helpfully put a map on her Facebook page, with a little pin in every country she has been to. It's a pretty crowded map. According to that, she still has K, O, Q, X, Y and Z. I remember from our previous discussion that we decided she needed a trip to the Middle East, which could get her Oman, Qatar and Yemen. Then Africa for Kenya (unless she fitted in Kuwait when in the Middle East) and her pick of Zaire, Zambia and Zimbabwe (she’s been to Zanzibar, but we decided that didn’t count, although we thought it a pretty good try). X is always going to be a challenge, unless she can find Xanadu.

I’m afraid the Midwest will be very tame by her standards. She ideally likes her destination to be remote, full of dangerous diseases, a recent war-zone, and closed to foreigners unless you know someone in the Embassy. We can’t offer much in the way of exotic excitement. We do have trump cards though, in the form of a fine pair of nephews and a splendid niece. They are all excited at the thought of Auntie Clara’s visit. 3-yo has been mysteriously busying herself getting plastic tubs out of the kitchen cupboard, filling them with water, and picking leaves and grass from the garden to float in them. When these had been sitting on the kitchen counter for a couple of days and were getting to that slimy stage, I asked her “could I tidy these away now?” and she was horrified. “But they’re for Auntie Clara”.

So Auntie Clara, if you’re reading this, I’m afraid we can’t offer the kind of curious and astonishing foreign adventures that you are used to, but you do have some strange and wondrous vegetation arrangements to look forward to. Strange, wondrous and beginning to decompose.

8 comments:

  1. Right outside my front door is a round wooden table, covered in stones, grass and a round wooden platter. It's caterpillar world and I'm not allowed to touch it!
    Sometimes we have potions made outside (Thankfully), they include such ingredients that Horrid Henry uses in his 'Glop'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tantalising snapshot of who you are Iota - I like your reasons! Tea, Olbas oil and mystery set in an exciting American background...

    Sometimes I think I'd really like to be Merry Weather for a day. I'm sure she doesn't waste time on chores and boring stuff like I do. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm sure there's enough danger and adventure for Auntie Clara in the midwest. Just send her to Walmart. Or the local flea market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, who can tell the inner workings of a pre-schoolers mind? Although take a look at this book for kids - Hieronymus Betts and his Unusual Pets - the last couple of pages have a pretty good try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, nice gift idea.

    I love how kids think.
    Miss E once gave me some grass she had brought back from a nearby caravan park where she'd had a weekend with my mum and dad.

    Ahh thanks sweetie???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must find this oblas oil that you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't go for a walk with Sprog without him cramming my pockets with dandelions, leaves, squirrel's teacups (that's acorn shells to you and me) and various vegetable based detritus. But I refuse to wear the perfume he makes with rose petals and rainwater - it REEKS!

    I hope Auntie Clara's visit is a success.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what a dab of that oil would do on the leaves and such being grown for Auntie Clara?

    ReplyDelete