Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Competition II

I'm going to run another competition. Why not?

Husband's sister is coming to stay next week. She asked me if there was anything I'd like her to bring. There is, and you've got to guess what it is. Usual easily-transportable restrictions apply. I haven't seen it here, so US readers may struggle, but go on, have a guess anyway.

This is something that, if my experience is anything to go by, you use in childhood and then never think of again until you have your own children. Then the brand name comes winging its way into the forefront of your mind, and when you buy it in Boots, you are heart-warmed to find that the packaging has changed hardly at all. The very colour of the receptacle makes you feel better about life. Perhaps the product doesn't actually do any good at all, but just makes mothers feel better, and if mothers feel better, children seem to feel better too. Of course if your mother happened to use one of the competitor brands, and therefore you do too, this one might not spring so easily to mind, but I'm sure you'll know it. According to my sister-in-law, it's not actually available at the moment - something to do with a scare caused by animal rights activists. She asked if the Boots own brand will do, and I've said yes, although somehow it won't have quite the comforting familiarity. It begins with S.

I'll tell you the answer on Friday, but I think you'll get it before then. I'll also tell you why the US equivalent (which isn't really an equivalent, otherwise why would I be burdening my sister-in-law with this?) is a source of particular annoyance to me.

This competition is not open to members of my husband's family...

6 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if it's Sudocrem?

    I have lots of it - and that grey container hasn't changed in years although they have a fancy new lid now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! Annie got there before me. I was going to say Sudocrem too - HONEST.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy peasy- Savlon (but have you got the squirty liquid that comes in a clear plastic bottle? MARVELLOUS stuff! I wonder if Amazon deliver it...)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too easy - Savlon of course, but until you gave away the initial letter, I was going to say Lucazade - something else that maybe does you no good, but it feels as if it ought to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until the "S" I was going to say Cod Liver Oil with malt. I used to love it as a kid.
    But that patently doesn't start with an "S", nor does Marmite (and you don't get it in Boots either).
    How about Slimfast?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea what the equivalent of Savlon in the US?

    ReplyDelete