Sunday, June 10, 2012

The British Are Going!

You see, I've been here long enough to know that that's quite a funny title for a party invitation. (No? The British are coming? Paul Revere? Where's your American history, people?) It wasn't really meant to be a farewell party, though of course everyone knew it was that. Husband's division at work is quite a social group, and I have often felt that we haven't taken our turn at hosting a party, so I thought we'd better get on and do it, otherwise I would leave with that feeling, and live forevermore with that feeling. So we had a tea party (of course), and I think some Jubilee fever must have rubbed off on me, because I put on the invitation that people should wear "red, white, blue, or a combination thereof, in recognition of the shared interests of our two nations". 

We had a lovely time. I'd gone to World Market in honour of the party, to buy Golden Syrup, with which to make flapjack, and had loaded up with some fun British biscuits for people to try. This is what the table looked like.


Let me just talk you through the picture. We're talking red, white and blue icing on the mini buns. Behind those, we have flapjack. Behind those are strawberries - how very accommodating of them to be red! No bananas or green apples on MY festive patriotic table! Continuing round the edge in an anti-clockwise direction, we have a plate of Jammie Dodgers and Hobnobs pretending to be Oreos (ie two mini Hobnobs stuck together with some kind of filling, abhorrent to the Hobnob purist, but I thought more interesting for the American palate), then a little heap of Penguins, a plate of Toffeepops and Viscount biscuits (oh dear, green foil wrappers out of place there, but I'd tolerate almost anything in a Viscount biscuit - my childhood favourites), a pile of cucumber sandwiches, and Chocolate Fingers.

I mean, could it get any more British than that? Oh yes it could. In the kitchen it did.


I was very impressed that many of the guests did drink tea, and didn't just opt for the cold drinks that we'd also provided. Most of them even tried it with milk. Most of them added sugar too. One or two made themselves sweetened iced tea (yuk).

It was very mellow. A couple of families who we've got to know well stayed on after everyone else left (I'd sent them sneaky texts beforehand saying "you will stay on when everyone else has gone, won't you?"). Then we had a power outtage, which was symbolic, somehow. Perhaps I'd just overloaded the local bit of the national grid with my intense use of the kettle. So as it got darker and hotter in the house, we moved a table and chairs outside, where it was a little bit lighter and cooler. Husband was despatched to get Chinese take-away, and we sat in the dusk, making that beautiful transition from tea to wine, and sharing the evening with the fireflies. I love fireflies. 

It's an odd time at the moment. Not much daily routine. All the time there is an overwhelming amount of things to do, but we're also having parties and meals with friends, and fitting in family special times. Everything feels more mellow, more vivid, more fun, more its essential nature, in these days. There is an intensity in finality. We haven't quite got down to last goodbyes yet. No. Let's be honest. We have. We just haven't admitted it. "I'm sure I'll see you again before we go" is my staple way of avoiding a farewell. Only just over two weeks to go now, though, so who am I kidding?

19 comments:

  1. Loved the play on words, and got it immediately! (although I may have an unfair advantage, having been born in Boston)
    So glad you were able to have a last hurrah - everything looks gorgeous, and I bet they were all so happy to have been invited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I'm just missing you there and here (UK). Hope the last few weeks go really well, and have a safe journey. I WILL see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, it was my birthday last wk & a whole raft of memories came floating back of my birthday/farewell party on a balmy evening, & how precious & wonderful those last few wks were, despite being so emotionally loaded too! I also did the whole 'I'm sure we'll see oyu again before we go' thing. It makes it a teensy bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the last couple of weeks go smoothly for you. Have a safe trip back! I'm looking forward to hearing how the reverse culture shock goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry abt multiple comments. I got a 'service unavailable' error message so I republished it until it 'accepted' the comment. Then it somehow printed them all. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post!
    Loved the look of the table and the idea of the invitation to wear red, white & blue!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only 2 weeks? That has gone so fast. I think your party sounds lovely, you had a time that your American friends will always remember. Enjoy the last few weeks (and make the most of the sun because you are not going to get any here). Big hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weird, isn't it, that when you're frantically busy packing up and still keeping normal life going, you suddenly find time for all the social stuff that you're normally too busy to do. Sort of floating around in unreality.

    And that American thing with tea - I have a vivid memory of an American neighbour in our Jamaica days inviting my mum in for a cup of tea. "I made a pot this morning and it wasn't drunk so I thought I'd heat it up."

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's a toffee pop?

    Imagine it's all feeling rather weird. Thinking of you. So much in fact I'm about to send you an email...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only 2 weeks?? Wow. Try to enjoy the last days. I know it sounds hard, but maybe you can, juts a little bit?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds lovely - very impressive spread. I feel as though we should throw one more final bash but to be honest, given we are the only people to have ever thrown a party and we've yet to be invited back (EVER - hence the move), I sort of don't feel like doing it. Yet I know I'll leave with THAT feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A few things on that table that I would happily eat...no, let's be honest, I'd eat almost all those things. Penguin bars don't really appeal to me, but everything else is yummy, I LOVE cucumber sandwiches.
    Hope all is on track for the big move, best of luck with the final things, and hope to see you here soon (ish?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crowding the memories in, that's what my mum used to call it when we left our various homes all over the world. She was brilliant at keeping in touch and through the years since we have had wonderfully exotic visitors here and been privileged to have been welcomed back even if we did leave it 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I could bring myself to like iced tea, sweetened or otherwise. I just can't. It's not tea and it's not squash but a monster hybrid. Happy leaving party, so glad to see that you included my personal favourite, choc fingers. Good luck with the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent party title and what a lovely spread. Sadly, I love sweet iced tea. Guess I have been indoctrinated!

    ReplyDelete