Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thoughts on our return to the US

Just to clear up a bit of confusion...



Yes, 14-yo's video does make it look as if we live somewhere beautiful. No, actually, we don't. Some of the pictures he used were taken on our holidays in Colorado and Arkansas. Just felt I had to put the record straight, as I have in the past whinged on about how there's no beautiful scenery near us. Thank you for all your comments, by the way. He loved them.



Anyway, here we are, back again, new school year beginning. Here are three lists. I used to be a civil servant, and I still find lists a good way of organising thoughts. Or of writing a blog post when you can't quite string it together in any other way.



1 Nice things about returning to America



a) People. Friends. A group of three families who organised a 'welcome back' barbecue for us, hiring the party room at the local pool, and whenever I said "what can I bring?" insisted "we've got it covered". Americans do hospitality and welcome in a fabulous way.



b) Each time we come back, it feels very different. Like a child starting a new school year isn't actually any taller than on the first day of term than they were on the last day of the holidays, but somehow they seem it. A step away and a step back brings a new perspective.



c) The weather seems sensitive to our arrival. For the second year running, a hot and humid spell has broken the day after we get back. It's very nice of the weather to be so accommodating. It must know I don't cope very well with the heat. This year, I am especially grateful, as it's been record-breakingly hot. It was over 100 degrees (38 celcius) for over 40 consecutive days, and one day it reached 113 (45). I have a little shared laugh with people here about how in England we all pluck our t-shirts away from our bodies and woggle them about, trying to create a tiny breeze, saying "wow it's hot today" when it gets to 80 degrees. Sorry, British people. I have a joke at your expense. (When I was an au pair in France, the little boy I looked after thought a t-shirt was called a p'tit shirt - isn't that sweet?)



2 Things that have changed in Britain



a) Oreos. I spotted some in a supermarket. That's a shame. They're not a patch on hobnobs, digestives, kitkats, or a million other nice British biscuits. And they leave a horrible black ring round your child's mouth. Don't buy oreos.



b) Jaffa cakes. Don't like them. Never have. Never will. (They haven't changed, so I don't know why they're on this list. Wrong list, Jaffa Cakes.)



c) Moving on to non-biscuit-related topics. Sharpies. Yay, wa-hoo wa-hey. Sharpies have arrived in Britain. I cannot imagine how we have lived without them in a satisfactory manner till now. Go out this minute and buy yourself a Sharpie. (Except you, Josephine, you've already got one.)



d) Speed cameras. They are everywhere. I mean, everywhere. Have they been breeding?



e) Top Gear presenters. They are everywhere. Not only is Top Gear on television whenever you turn it on, but they are presenting pretty much every other television programme there is as well. Including that rather addictive one that's made in Argentina because Health and Safety in Britain wouldn't allow it. What's it called...?



f) More Americanisms in British everyday speech. I don't feel very strongly about this. I think language evolves and grows, and you shouldn't try and put it in a cage and keep it. It needs to rove free, like the buffalo over the plains (though it didn't end terribly well for them in recent history). Rove... or should that be roam...? See, a case in point. We should all be free to grab whatever word we want, to suit the mood and the moment, and if that means that some become more popular and some die out (like the buffalo nearly have done), then so be it (though I do feel sad for the buffalo, so this is an imperfect simile). But I have noticed that there is an increasing number of words that have crossed the Atlantic. 'Mad' meaning 'angry'. 'Smart' meaning 'clever' (I blame smart phones, smart technology, etc for this one). 'Call' instead of 'ring' when talking about phoning someone.



3 Things that are still just too counter-cultural for me to love



a) Over-competitive sports for children. I've said it before, and I'll say it again (in fact I have a ranty blog post just waiting to spout out and rove all over my blog any day now on this very subject).



b) A phone message from a very chirpy student on our answerphone:



"Hi, Dr Husband, this is Francine from X University. I'm just calling on behalf of the university as the new academic year begins, to say how much we appreciate the faculty members. We just want you to know that the university values you so much, and we're so glad you're part of it."



Does this really work for most Professors? Really? Or do they, like Husband, stand glowering at the answerphone, making retorts about how a pay rise would do more to make him feel valued than employing a student on the minimum wage to go down the faculty phone list making vacuous calls.

21 comments:

  1. I feel quite sad I can't do such lists anymore. In a few days time I wd be returning to Albania. That's when it's really going to kick home that I'm back here now & need to settle. Albania no more. However, being a compulsive list maker, I'm sure I will find other stuff to make lists about. In fact I will go & buy or 'go buy' some Sharpies to get me going.
    Re: point 3(b) I am struggling with supermarket checkouts & bank tellers asking me how I am or how my day is going. Always takes me by surprise. Don't mind a bit of genuine & friendly conversation, but I have subversively 'hovered' only to confirm my worst suspicions that they come out wth the same routine/dialogue with the next customer. I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phone message would have infuriated me. I have taught for years and deeply value the unsolicited, spontaneous comments, appreciation, and relationships that have developed over time with some students, But I absolutely can't understand how anyone would think that a phone call from an unknown student reading from a script would actually make the callee feel more appreciated or valued. It doesn't exactly surprise me, but it saddens me. This sort of thing is really quite rampant in America, sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Can't comment about your return to America but I've lived all over the world and it's always lovely to see friends again, wherever they are.
    2. a) yep, oreos suck. No idea why so much fuss is made of them in the US, 'cos you have way better biscuits/cookies than this too.
    b) Jaffa cakes - you are so wrong - it's all in the disection - chocolate off first then eat the jelly bit, then finally the biscuit.
    c)What the frick are sharpies?
    e) most of them don't work, but you never know which ones do.... anyhow soon they'll all be redundant since councils won't be able to afford them.
    d) Total Wipeout - my 6yo is addicted - I pass on it. That dreadful Top Gear presenter does my head in.
    e) It's roam, but I might adopt rove and see if we can get the dictionary changed. We've been calling not ringing for decades in my family - maybe you got that one from us in the first place. The whole migration of speech thing could be considered to be a bit mute anyhow since I do believe pretty much all English American migrated from our shores a few hundred years ago. Interestingly, apparently there is an island somewhere near Martha's Vineyard or somewhere like that where they reckon English closest to 17th Century English is still spoken and they also reckon the US and NZ accents are closer to the accents of us over here in the UK. No idea who "they" are, but I heard it all somewhere.
    3. a) Over competitiveness in mums though takes the biscuit (is it a jaffa or an oreo or the far superior choc hobnob?). The football/soccer mum/mom. The mum who wears her full on tracksuit and running spikes for sports day so that she can take on the field in the mums race.
    b) Ye gads. The powers that be will do anything but give pay rises nowadays. Your husband can be commended for not ringing her back and giving a bit of his mind.... if indeed he didn't..... and it would be totally forgivable if he did. Bet it provides a few wry jokes in the faculty though.
    4. Lists rock. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. e) I meant... US and NZ accents closer to what UK accents would have been in the 17C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love hearing your perspective. When I returned to the States this summer, I mostly noticed that the economy has gotten worse - I had never seen Target so empty (those 8 times a visited in a two week span!). Did you feel a difference in the UK? And you have to admit the creamy inside of an Oreo is irresistible :)XOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend *(who discovered Oreos when she lived in the US a few years ago) make a lovely pudding out of them. Kind of like brownies but hot and gooey/crunchy. Nice.

    Jaffa cakes are not crunchy (let's not get into the whole cake/biscuit court case thing) but therefore lack the essential quality for something to eat with a nice cup of tea.

    At least Dr Husband's call was not a prerecorded one...and actually as a (feeling very gloomy and undervalued here) stay at home mum it would be nice, perhaps, if occasionally, even if it were a total stranger on the minimum wage, someone were to tell me I was doing a good jaaaaaab or thank you for all the laundered pants (do I mean shorts?) and clean loos and remembered stuff and found items and cleared floorspace and general mopped and wiped-ness of family life....

    Total Wipeout. Actually makes me laugh in an "It's a Knock-out" sort of way. Your - um, is she a half goddaughter? or a god half-daughter? Anyway, your godson's sister - loves it. though is moving on to Splatalot which is more about kids I think.

    Actually I have six sharpies now.

    I love lists too.

    Much love
    Josephine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.

    But how can you not like Jaffa Cakes?

    I am telling Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elsie Button got there before me. Not liking Jaffa Cakes is just ... well, odd!

    I wish I didn't like Jaffa Cakes. I might be a size smaller than I am now. (They sell them at our local supermarket in the imported foods section. They also sell Maltesers. Yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like marmalade. Jaffa cakes taste like rubbery marmalade, and the chocolate is so thin that it doesn't make any difference to the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the phonecall message, hate it when Iget those kind of things, yes payrises would be much nicer!!
    And what are Sharpies? Didnt see those when I recently back in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've still no idea what *sharpies are* ...... whether its something to eat or not? We have them in England??????

    There is a saying in England that whatever *the Americans* do/get/experience.... we get the same 50 years later!

    Have you noticed how people are so ready to sue anyone over here? It was really looked down on at one time and was quoted as being *so American*

    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just SO love jaffa cakes but you have to eat them all in one outhful - and they are cakes not bsicuits cos cakes go hard when they are old and biscuits go soggy!
    Nah not into Oreos...

    PS. love lists just can't do them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my Lord that message made me cringe just reading it. (Shivers).
    I love your welcome back party though. You have real true friends there lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thanks for a good chuckle about the t-shirts, we are at over 60 days now where I am and the joke is well past old!! After my trip 'home' I was very glad to be back here, things just aren't quite the same anymore in Blighty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whooooop! I just went to tesco and the 12 pack of Sharpies I have been secretly lusting after was HALF PRICE! So I treated myself....

    love
    Josephine x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Apparently we're getting rid of speed cameras over here now, their numbers are reducing although you wouldn't know it. Always hated Oreos. Top Gear = annoying. How come our TV licence isn't free now? The amoung of money that programme muct make globally surely funds the BBC? I've heard it's the world's most popular TV show now (well, developed world anyway...) Off to google sharpies

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK people, Sharpies are basically marker pens. However - they also make a "Rub-a-Dub Sharpie" which doesn't come off in the wash. Instead of faffing about with labels, you just write your kid's name on whatever takes your fancy, and Bob's Your Uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. But oh so much more than just a marker pen. You can use them to label almost anything - backpacks, lunch boxes, water bottles. You can write on plastic carrier bags, ziploc bags, glass. Anything, really.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like marmalade. And chocolate. And that weird sponge stuff at the bottom of a jaffa cake, but somehow the combination is never quite right. Odd.

    And still confused by the sharpies stuff. As Expat mum says, aren't they just marker pens? And isn't writing on things what a marker pen does? Anyway, I got out my "marker pen" a while back just to check and lo and behold, it was actually a Sharpie. And if you can get them here, you really must be able to get them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Iota, I don't like Jaffa cakes either or anything that has jelly in it for that matter, unless it's a PB & J. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting what you say about Americanisms creeping into England. The language never goes the other way.Can't someone tell Americans to call pants trousers? The weirdest thing is when American women call knickers underpants. Do American women really wear Y-fronts????????????////////

    ReplyDelete