Monday, August 8, 2011

Iota's mother's loft: final instalment

I couldn't call this post Iota's summer holiday top tips for entertaining children: Part IV for reasons which will become apparent.



This last item was in a box of my own stuff. It's a copy of The Sun newspaper, dated Saturday October 19th 1985 - a month or so before my 21st birthday. The headline that day was





BUDGIE COOKED ALIVE IN MICROWAVE



Lads giggled as the oven went 'ding'






(You see why I couldn't bill this post as summer entertainment for children.)



Attached to the paper is a note from my older brother which says "This must be the best headline ever. You should keep this paper. It might be worth something some day."



So now, nearly 26 years later, who will make me an offer for this historic newspaper?



The thing is, even if I don't make any money from this loft item, it did make me laugh, and reflect back on family life over decades, and be grateful, and who could put a cash price on that? (It went back into my box of stuff, in case you were wondering. I couldn't put it in the bin somehow.)



6 comments:

  1. Does said brother know that you've just outed him as a non-lover of the budgies? I thought for awhile that budgies were mythical creatures like badgers, hedgehogs, and jackalopes. I was a wee bit embarrassed when someone pointed out that their birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that's gross. The poor budgie. I hope it was a quick death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough I remember a story about a cat in a microwave, but not a budgie. I guess it was around the time microwaves first became popular, there must have been a spate of similar horrible tales.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh.

    But on the other hand, as you say, priceless. I love looking back at things I've saved (especially when I can remember a story with them).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love reading your blog.. please visit back my blog..
    Blog Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mhmmm, fried budgie! The 80s were wild indeed.
    PS: The Sun??

    ReplyDelete