Sunday, September 16, 2007

More on Emily Yeung

Letter to Managing Director
Marblemedia Production Company
Toronto

Dear Sir

I believe you produce This is Emily Yeung. It’s very good. She’s very good. I hope she has a future in television. It’s an imaginative programme. Kids like it because it is very much on their level, and adults like it because they picture their child doing the activity that Emily is doing, and being much more cute and clever than she. Don’t get me wrong. Emily is very cute and clever. It’s just that parents are smitten with their own children. You knew that already.

I like the theme music too.

This is Emily Yeung
She’ll score a goal, play pretend,
Make a bunch of brand new friends.
Learning laughing sharing smiling
We’ll have lots of fun [pause]
With Emily Yeung.


I’m afraid that, being English, the “bunch of brand new friends” creates a bit of an odd visual image. We don’t say that, you see. I see her with a clutch of Barbie-like plastic people in one hand, like a bunch of flowers or a bunch of carrots. Still, I suppose if you said “a lot of brand new friends”, as we would do in England, your North American audience would visualize an auction room with groups of children awaiting their turn amongst the drab second hand furniture. I like the tune too. Very jolly, with a reflective bit, almost like church music, in the middle.

You do what I was going to call a sister programme: This is Daniel Cook. I’ll have to call it a brother programme. He wears Emily’s trademark orange t-shirt and blue pants. He is very good in front of the cameras too, quick and intelligent. I think Emily, with her natural curiosity and ease with people, might become an investigative reporter of a soft kind. Daniel has more of the political interviewer about him. His adult companions don’t get away with any loose explanations, and he interrupts them shamelessly if he is ready to move on. Today he told the nice lady who was helping him recycle paper that pulp should be called pawater. A mixture of paper and water, you see. It’s a clever word. The nice lady had to agree that it was a better word than pulp.

I like This is Daniel Cook too. I have just one quibble with you. Cook doesn’t rhyme with fun. Didn’t anyone notice? You’ve changed the words to the theme tune, but you stuck with the last couplet:

We’ll have lots of fun [pause]
With Daniel Cook.


It doesn’t rhyme at all. Actually, Yeung doesn’t really rhyme with fun either, does it? We’ll give you that one though. It’s near enough, although you’re aiming at a preschool audience here – you ought to be more careful with your phonics, since schools all seem pretty keen on them. However, we’ll let that one pass, since the theme tune overall is so very good. But I’m sorry, I just can’t overlook [pause] Daniel Cook. I could forgive the lack of effort here if he had a name that was particularly challenging in the rhyme-finding department. Daniel Defoe. Daniel Fortescue. Daniel Molyneux-Cholmondley. These would present a challenge. Let’s face it though. Cook. That should have been pretty easy.

Come and take a look [pause]
With Daniel Cook.


There you are, you see. Easy-peasy. If you don’t like that, how about this?

Resistance he will not brook [pause]
Not Daniel Cook.


No? Well, I suppose it is a bit literary for the preschool audience (although you shouldn’t underestimate them, you know). Actually, Cook is a bit of a gift if you want to do some subtle merchandise advertising. I’m surprised you didn’t come up with

Watch the show, then buy the book [pause]
Of Daniel Cook.


There you are. Lots of ideas for you. I’ll be watching out for the next series to see if you’ve incorporated any of them. Don’t forget to credit me. Doesn’t have to be anywhere prominent – just a little nook.

We enjoy your shows, 3-yo and I. If you ever want to do an episode This is Emily Yeung in the Midwest then please do contact me. Or I could do something suitably English if you like: This is Daniel Cook baking scones. We’d be happy to host a production team here.

Yours faithfully

Iota

PS Since drafting this letter, my Canadian media informant has told me that in fact Daniel Cook preceded Emily Yeung. I just can't believe that. Do rhyming couplets mean nothing to you people?

8 comments:

  1. It is over a year since we went on holiday to America, and it has taken that long to get the Daniel Cook theme tune out of my head. I absolutely cannot believe you have put it back in there!!!
    Fran x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you - you sound like you're suffering. Next time the little blighter appears on the box, just mute him. Gah! Some people have no standards.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, God. Total pet peeve of mine. I will never, ever be able to let either of my children watch this program. (Thankfully, they have yet to redub it with a British accent so that it can be shown here, as they seem to do with all other children's programming which originated overseas and thus features vulgar American accents...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Just a little nook...
    on the show by Daniel Cook'.

    Coincidence? I don't think so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee, very funny Iota, and you're right.
    Not attempting to rhyme anything with 'cook' was just lazy.

    If it comes on over here I may not allow Miss M to watch it for fear of damaging her rhyming neurons.

    And yours sound so much better.

    Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm being bad, very bad...catching up on blogs when I should be working....but have spent a lovely (rather long) time going back a fair old way and smiling a lot. Savlon indeed - have a tube of course. Germoline far more earthy and gummy (and doubtless more effective) and, heck, what was the other one? Aaaghh.
    Daniel Cook etc hilarious.....every day I say a silent prayer of thanks that I no longer have to watch pre-school TV. Tweenies, Teletubbies, Postman Pat, Bob the bloody builder....aaaghhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shocking to hear such lack of respect for the English language. I so much wish you could hear Derek Jacobi intoning the voice-over for In the Night Garden, Iota. His voice is so melodic he makes ordinary prose sound like iambic pentameters.

    Oh what a young crook,
    Is that youngster called Cook

    So runneth the brook,
    As it follows young Cook

    And so on.

    D. Jacobi would know how to make it sound like it scanned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "This is Daniel Cook" came out a year or so before "This is Emily Yeung" did. Why the song doesn't rhyme, I'm not sure, but that's the truth. Cook came before Yeung, strangely enough.

    Also, the show is Canadian, not American, and we Americans laugh ourselves silly over Canadian accents, so there you go. The English language is messed up all over the place.

    ReplyDelete