Friday, September 28, 2007

Cosmetology

I’ve learnt a new word this morning. Cosmetology.

I was having my hair cut, and on the wall in front of me was a certificate, telling me that the stylist was licensed in cosmetology. I thought it must be a New Age activity: a blend of cosmic things, comets and astrology. So I asked her what cosmetology was. I thought it would be a good topic of conversation, since I don’t have a boyfriend and I’m not going out tonight. She looked a bit surprised, and said “It’s what we do”. “And what does it involve?” I continued. At this point she included a colleague in the conversation. “Yes, it’s everything we do. Everything”, added the colleague. I must have still been looking a bit blank, because the colleague did elaborate for me. Unfortunately, as she was the other side of the salon and I had taken my glasses off, I couldn’t hear very clearly what she said (this statement will make sense to fellow severe myopics, the rest of you will just have to go with me on it). So I just nodded and said “Ah” in that way we do.

Cosmetology, as I now know (what did we do before Wikipedia?), means beauty treatments, including hair styling. This is rather good. It means that I no longer have to make mere hair appointments. I can arrange to see my cosmetologist. That’s much better. I’m already wondering how I managed so long without one.

11 comments:

  1. Cosmetologist?! Isn't that just the best? And I'm a house-technician, as opposed to bog standard, common or garden housewife/motherofthree/girlfriday/dogsbody. Nothing quite like a lofty job spec is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you want a facial or a bikini wax you go to an aesthetician. Why are they called that?

    I have absolutely no idea.At all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this just an excuse to make us pay more? Or in fact a pr exercise to convince mothers of would-be hairdressers that their children too could have an 'ology'? (Remember those Beattie/BT ads? Yes, now I'm just showing my age).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I linked on you from somewhere else. I will most certainly be back. I hope your next haircut is more stylish being performed by a cosmetologist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha-ha, this is from cosmetics I suppose. Very grand. Anything with an "ology", as Mureen Lipman once said, is good!

    I love the idea of you sitting there and saying ah wisely, well done, I grin inanely in situations like that. I'll try ahing in future, it might make me seem wiser...

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, it just sounds better than hair dresser.
    and if it sounds better, they get to charge more....

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have an award for you at my blog. this will confuse you because i don't think you've ever visited my blog. but.... i like yours. what can i say? stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wanted a good looking arse, so I eventually went to see a cosmetoproctologist, he worked wonders.

    You don't have any awards at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why don't you come up with some obscure cosmetic treatment that they don't do, despite doing 'everything'. Just for the hell of it?
    I used to live near one of those 'hardware stores' in the UK,the sort where they climb a ladder to a top shelf and select 3 nails out of a little cardboard box. They sold everything. Really EVERYTHING. For some sad reason I took this as a personal challenge to go in and ask for things that they might not have. I didn't manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, 'took my glasses off and couldn't hear' I know that so well.

    ReplyDelete