Wednesday, July 13, 2011

At the beach

Where've I been this week then?

I've been here.



Fife.

We used to live here. It's lovely coming back on holiday, because it's the best of both worlds. It's a holiday, so there's none of that daily life stuff to bother about. But it's familiar territory. We know where to go, where to shop, what to do, all the best haunts. We've caught up with a few old friends too.

This is the May Isle. You can take a boat trip there.


But guess what? I never have done. I don't know why. Just didn't quite get round to it when we lived here, and haven't ever got round to it since. I love the fact that I know it's really called the May Isle, not the Isle of May. It's the Isle of May on maps and to visitors, but locals have always called it the May Isle. I love knowing that. I love calling it the May Isle.

This is what my daughter looked like about 6 years ago.


She still loves the beach. She doesn't get there very often these days.

I've lifted these photos from a post I wrote a year or so ago about my favourite beach in Fife. This is how I described the beach then.

"I don’t know how many hours I spent on this beach, in the company of this view, but it was many, and I don’t regret a single one. I love this beach. I got to know it, as you get to know a friend. I learned that the day after a storm, it might be covered with slimy green seaweed, but that a few days later it would be pristine clean again. I learned that the best way to spot sea glass, is by walking into the sun, preferably when it was low in the sky. I learned that gravelly sand can be as good for sand castles as fine sand. I learned that the sea would accept any anxiety or ill feeling, tied in my imagination to the stone in my hand, and thrown as far as I could manage it. The sea could be waveless, still as a pond, or dancing daintily, or crashing feverishly. It could be twinkling with sunlight, blue and silver, or it could be grey and dark, not bothering to reflect the sky at all. I tell you, every time I went to that beach, it offered me both something new and something familiar. Like the best of relationships."

You're allowed to recycle old blog posts when you're on holiday, aren't you?

.

14 comments:

  1. Lazybones. But yes, of course you can recycle. And it is a fabulous beach. Took our 8 yo there in her pram at 3 months old. **sigh** Is that lovely pub still in the next bay round? ENJOY! xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    J'phine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all into recycling. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely recycle, and enjoy your holiday!

    But thanks for posting the gorgeous photos. I know what you mean about knowing the inside scoop on things (May Isle); kind of like being in a secret club, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you're allowed to recycle (and thanks for giving me the idea...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely to go 'home' for a holiday. I know what you mean about it being away from normaility but without the stress of thinking about where to go in an unfamiliar place. Enjoy.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how you often live so close to somewhere yet you never go. I'd been to Australia before I ever went to Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have friends from the Fife area. It is truly a beautiful area of Scotland and very much under-rated. It's funny how he don't explore things in our own backyard until we go away and come back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely beautiful.

    (And you're lucky to be there at he moment and not in the midwest - I read yesterday that where you live is having a horrible heatwave!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When a post is as good as that it deserves to be brought out again like a beautiful dress just so you can show off! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, well worth a revisit. The sea is so refreshing and good for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother was from Fife too so somehow it feels like you're going home for me too. Lots of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother was born and brought up in Fife, but she's never talked about the beaches. I can now ask her all about them, and might even discover she knows 'her' beach is also your beach. And recycling is beachcombing by another name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quick wave from across teh water in East Lothian! I hope you're enjoying your holiday.

    ReplyDelete