Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Being the youngest

I often wonder what effect the position of my children in the family has on their personality, their interests, their approach to life. I know I’m not alone in this. I’ve talked to enough other parents who also find it an intriguing question. I’d love to re-run my family with the three children in a different order, just to see how it changes them. I’d do several versions, varying the age gaps as well perhaps. Fortunately, life doesn’t work that way, and I’m left wondering.

Mostly it’s a game of conjecture. Would 10-yo be more or less easy-going if he hadn’t been the oldest? Would 4-yo be more or less confident if she had been an only child for the first 3 years of her life, as he was? Conjecture, with a touch of guilt now and then. The first child, inevitably, receives more parental time and attention. Subsequent children receive less, but I think there is a sense in which that removes a burden. There is definitely a lot to be said for getting on with your own childhood development while flying under the parental radar. So for me, it’s a touch of guilt, tempered with realism. I feel a bit bad that 4-yo’s preschool report tells me things I don’t know about her – that wouldn’t have happened with my eldest – but I know she has a richness of experience from muddling along with two big siblings that he never had. I’m not so aware of the progress of each skill and ability, I don’t spend much time and effort helping her learn to count and spell her name, but I’m a more experienced parent. That must count for something (I hope). I also have a wider perspective on the value of all this endless assessing of children’s abilities. I’m a third child myself (of four), and I’ve never had a moment when I would have chosen to change my lot.

Yes, mostly it’s a game of conjecture. Occasionally, though, there are incidents which I can categorically state would not have happened if the youngest was the eldest. A few days after 4-yo’s birthday, 10-yo had his best friend round. John, bless him, had patiently listened over snack-time while 4-yo regaled him with stories of all her new presents, before he and 10-yo disappeared off to their big boy occupations. A few minutes later, 4-yo rushed into the kitchen, and said “guess what I gave John, guess what I gave John”, with that post-birthday excitement still gleaming on her face. “I don’t know”, I said. I hoped that he hadn’t been embarrassed by (for his sake), or dismissive of (for her sake) whatever small piece of pink festive paraphernalia she had bestowed on him. A pink bow carefully saved from the gift wrap perhaps, or a Disney princess paper plate. “What did you give John?” I asked. “A wedgie!” she shouted, with gleeful triumph.

Now THAT wouldn’t have happened without older brothers.

10 comments:

  1. Oh hilarious!.
    There's a book called the Birth Order book which claims to explain your musings. Not sure if there's anything in it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it *had* happened without older brothers, I would certainly be wondering about the goings-on in your household...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny Iota. And an interesting subject. I try to tell myself that the lower level of attention I pay Boy #2 vs what his brother recieved at the same age is more than made up for by the presence of said older brother and the fact that since I've been through it before I now don't sweat - so much - the little things. One day I might even believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In future I will even try to include the odd punctuation mark as well though I doubt I will manage it

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh! There's 2 years (and 6 days) between my two and I always think the younger one had to grow up faster. It's not so long ago that he would still get out the Playmobil but then have to rush to put it away when he heard the tread of his older brother's friends coming up the stairs. Nothing worse than being caught with kid's toys when you should really be wrapped up in the Playstation.

    gpm

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an award waiting for you over at my place

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squirrel, Tiger and Shark have these birth order arguments and use their age difference to organise events and start wars (and so what if there's only one minute between them).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often wonder if I would be more relaxed if I wasn't the oldest child. My younger brother is so chilled out it's unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it with wedgies?! My boys are just the same.

    I sometimes feel guilty that I don't spend as much time with my youngest as I did with the other two (who were closer together). Yet he comes along just as fast and is very friendly with other children, whereas the older ones were more reserved. Swings and roundabouts etc!

    I'm the eldest in my family and I would have loved the freedom my brothers seemed to get. Still, there were perks. I was seldom blamed for wrongdoing and got away with all sorts... shouldn't really say that should I!

    ReplyDelete
  10. too funny! she doesn't seemed to have suffered psychological damage from being the youngest!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete