Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Trips

I’m off on a trip. A trip? Yes, a trip. A trip to New York, no less. On my own. No husband, no kids. Ah ha ha.

What takes me to New York? Let me tell you. Charlesinparis. For it is he. You can’t have missed his enigmatic comments on my blog. You must have wondered about my mystery man in that most glamorous of locations. Here is the moment of revelation. Charlesinparis is … (drum roll) … my big brother. He and Wifeinparis, along with Twokidsinparis, are spending a week in New York, and I am joining them for the week-end. I am also seeing Friendinsuburbs, who I met in 1987 and see on average about once every 5 years, and meeting her husband and twin 2 year old boys. Now if that isn’t a fabulous week-end for Wifeandmotherinthemidwest, I don’t know what is.

Charlesinparis – I have to tell you about him. In my teens and twenties, when any of my girlfriends came to visit, they would always ask oh so casually "is Charlesinparis around?". Think tall, dark, handsome. Think beanpole. Think daddy-long-legs. Think chiseled features and heavy eyebrows. Think very blue eyes. Think Anthony in The Wiggles in his younger days (he’s the one in blue), but better looking. Think snappy dresser and urban sophistication. Think lightning-speed conversation and rapier wit (in three languages). Think horrendous cheesy puns that you have to laugh at anyway. Think plum-coloured MG. Sadly it is no longer a part of his life (and it was an MGB GT, no less, with spokey wheels), having been replaced by a sensible Renault people carrier. In its day, the MG was lent to him on a long-term basis by a friend. I never understood why anyone who owned an MG would lend it to someone else, let alone someone whose driving position in it would involve their knees being somewhere in the vicinity of their ears. I’m grateful that she did though (yes, it was a woman…), as it provided me with one of my favourite Charlesinparis memories.

It was a hot day in August 1989, my younger brother’s wedding day. Charlesinparis had been best man, made a spectacularly funny speech, and then when it was time to go, he said “hey Sis, come in the MG”. So we set off, open-topped on the open road, him in his smart suit, me in a peacock blue bridesmaid dress, in one of those dreamy perfect balmy summer evenings that we do so well (if a little infrequently) in England, with the setting sun behind us. I know it was behind us, because Charlesinparis said “I haven’t got a road atlas. Where are we, anyway? Sort of north of Bristol somewhere? Hm. Well, we’ll just head east, that’s easy enough, and we’re bound to pick up signs to Oxford or London. The MG doesn’t like motorways, but the Cotswolds are around here somewhere, between here and home at any rate, so it’ll be a pretty drive.” And it was. A pretty drive. A pretty long drive. Difficult to navigate by the sun after dark. It rained towards the end and got cold (it always does in an MG), but Charlesinparis put up the top, we were young and it was fun.

The last time I saw Charlesinparis was the week-end before we left Scotland for the USA. He phoned one day and said “your birthday’s the 23rd of November, right?” (Wrong – it’s the 24th, but he’s not a details man on this kind of thing.) “That’s a week before you leave for the States, right?” (Right – see, he gets the details which matter.) “Well, I’ve arranged for me, big sister and little brother to come and see you. Book us into a B&B. We’ll take you out for dinner on your birthday, but other than that, you can see as much or as little of us as you like. We’re there for you. We can help out with whatever you want, or we can entertain ourselves and get out of your hair.” So for three days, there they were. They took car loads of stuff to the tip. They played with the kids. They washed bedding (2-yo caught a vomiting bug). They gave me the ideal excuse to go to all my favourite places instead of doing all the sensible house-tidying sort of things I would otherwise have done. They walked with me on the beach. They didn’t mind that I was distracted and odd. They said all the right things about our move (“the Midwest sounds great”).

Every girl should have a Charlesinparis. And from time to time, a Charlesinnewyork.

21 comments:

  1. Your upcoming trip sounds fab. It also makes me wish I had a brother. As an only child, I really I had that sibling closeness you seem to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. he sounds like a mythical brother. you'd have to roll all five of my brothers together and sift out the bad parts to get a charlesinparis.

    you have a lovely time in new york!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky to have such a brother. I never had one at all, but always wished I did, because I would have felt safe with one around and I am sure we would have had lots of fun.

    I don't need to tell you to treasure your brother, as you obviously already do, but then, usually, any sibling is an added luxury, if you get along.

    I hope you have a wonderful time in NYC and that you'll like speaking English again. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I came to say thank you for visiting the other day - late I know, but I'm catching up!

    By the way, where can I get a Charlesinparis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip sounds great, as does CinP! I'm off to see TiminAbuDhabi in a few weeks; he's lovely but I think he'll have to go some to catch up with Charlesinparis. Good cook, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh he sounds too lovely. Brothers really are great, I have 2 of them. Everyone needs a Charlesinparis AND a Charlesinnewyork, is there a Charlesinlondon anywhere I wonder?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say have a wonderful time. I got all caught up in the Charlesinparis, new york and London and forgot to wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aah. How sweet. I laughed at the bit about "heading east" while driving in the west country. You must have been having a premonition about driving in the USA, where all the roads are as straight as the Roman roads. But in the Cotswolds? And that must have been in the days before cars had compasses too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delightful! I'll be in NYC as well, on the 8th ~ you'll know it's me because I'll be the frazzled sightseeing mom with 4+ kids in tow (we're off to check out the sights and sounds of the city for the day!).

    Cheers and have a fantastic trip!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. have fun. it always sounds like you do when charlesinparis is around. I liked the MG story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could do with a Charlesinparis. Do they come gift wrapped?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a great time. Enjoy yourself and, great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something tells me (perhaps your comment on my last post) that you enjoyed yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are back, please post about your trip with charlesinparis, we, the curious, want to know all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. charlesinparis is like Antony Wiggle?? Swoon - who are you like??

    Seriously, sounds brilliant - great fun! and yes, Irene's right - you will let us know hey?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me too. I want to know all about it. He sounds far too good for a brother. Frankly, incest would be a worry. Still - prepared to give it a go, though if you're prepared to consider loans.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trust the trip was every bit as much fun as it sounds like it would be. How fantastic to have such a nice brother. I never had a brother - and would have loved to have had one as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. umm, is - err - Charlesinparis around? He sounds lovely...I'm going to visit his blog. Because we're blogging in the same city you understand, not coz he sounds lovely or anything..

    HOPe you had a great time!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete