Friday, February 3, 2012

On holiday with Socrates

This post is an entry to the Tots100/Al Fresco Holidays competition. Thomson Al Fresco offer holidays in "luxury mobile homes in Europe's best parcs", and you can visit their website by clicking here.

Why do we go on holiday anyway? It’s a big part of life for us Brits, but it’s not the same in all cultures. After our first summer living in the US, I was surprised to discover that most families hadn’t been on holiday. Going away in the summer just isn’t an expectation, a normal thing to do, as it is for us. I don’t want to be critical of Americans, but I do think they’re missing out.

It’s not just the chance to experience a new place, a different culture, unfamiliar foods. It’s not just the opportunity to spend more time with family or friends, or pursuing a favourite activity. No. It’s the time in the year when we rest, relax and reflect. Socrates said “The unexamined life is not worth living”. In my book, holidays are those times when our lives are examined.

I deliberately put that sentence in the passive, because I don’t mean that we need to sit around in some philosophical fug, reading weighty tomes and pondering deep cogitations. Sometimes our lives can be ‘examined’ by little nudges here and there which tell us important things, if only we will listen. It might be that you remember how much you really, really love running around outside with your kids, and that thought will motivate you to make time to go to the park on a Saturday morning when you get home. Or perhaps you’ll dare admit to yourself a sense of restlessless, a needing to move on, which will prompt you to look for a new challenge. Or maybe you’ll just realize that your life is full of good things, and the break will deliver you back to ‘normal life’ less anxious and more grateful.

I remember our first holiday with a baby, in 1997. He was three months old. My husband and I were living in London, and house-sat for a week in Brighton. I took my usual holiday fare – a stack of paperbacks. I returned home having finished not even one of them. That was a Socrates moment. Life was different with a baby (duuuuh…) We went on the Bluebell steam railway – because obviously a three month old baby can fully appreciate steam railways. That was the other side of the coin of lost paperback time. It was a taste of the years ahead of family-orientated outings, of being one of those lucky people who I’d so often seen, pottering along a railway platform at a snail’s pace, a small hand in their own, their enjoyment of the day wrapped up in the excitement of the diminutive railway enthusiast attached to that small hand.

Here is my favourite photo from that holiday. I do have pictures of the steam train, and the beach, and the South Downs, but I like this one, staged with our poor innocent unsuspecting firstborn. It speaks of the process of adjusting to parenthood.

Take Socrates on holiday with you. He would have approved of holidays, I think.




.

7 comments:

  1. Sweet photo!
    It does astound me how little Americans travel. It's not like the people I'm thinking of can't afford a holiday, but they drive an hour round the bottom of Lake Michigan (along with thousands of other from Chicago) and spend months there. Given that they're bumping into the same people they do here, (literally) and we have beaches here, I can't really see the point.
    I do think however, that when you're not chasing the sun around (like Brits) you're probably not that desperate to "get away".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely picture. I know we have one of Littleboy 1 sitting up on a sofa like that our first holiday with him in France.
    People round here don't go away much either - their summer holiday will be a long weekend at the other end of Long Island or the Jersey Shore. Which is all very nice, but there's no real desire to travel to another culture (or even eat different food - that's one of the things I love most about holidays!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going on holiday, I must say, although I'm afraid time for reflection seems quite short whenever we're away. I'm hoping that it will increase as the kids get older - tell me it will, Iota, please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab post, you do write so well. The French know a thing or two about holidays
    They drive at breakneck speed from Paris to the south of France for the month
    Of august, then they drive home. Then they feel so cross at having to work for a living
    that they go on strike until december. I wonder what Socrates would make of that?!
    Pig x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo! And your piece reminds me of the innocence (ours!) of those early new-parenthood days; no idea what lay ahead!
    I can't imagine life without holidays, i love everything about them, except the getting ready to leave. Experiencing a new culture, food, scenery and getting away from routine is good for all.
    Lol at Pig's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're away (Crieff, since you ask) this week. And I will be reflecting. Mostly on friendship, I suspect. But I like the idea that I will be Socratic while I do it.

    I do feel terribly sorry for Americans though. We're away becuase B has holiday he *has* to use up. How incomprehensible must that be on your side of the Atlantic?

    ReplyDelete