Friday, May 2, 2008

"Home" thoughts from abroad

In two weeks, we will be on English soil. Retrospectively, I’ll be able to call it a fortnight (did you know that Americans don’t use that word?). I’m excited and looking forward to it, and I know it will be a wonderful time, all 12 weeks of it, but I have to confess to being a little nervous too.

There will be so many good things. Seeing family and friends, time as a family together on holiday, enjoying the beauty of the gentle English countryside (I hope you all appreciate how lucky you are to have it on your doorsteps), seeing the sea. Oh goodness me, so much! It’s a vacation, and I want it to be that, but I can’t avoid the fact that it will also be a trip to the old country. I don’t want to use the word “home”. I’ve spent a year and a half carefully and consistently referring to here as “home”. So when I tell people we’re going to Britain for the summer, and they reply “oh how neat, you’re going back home”, I don’t let them spoil my record. I counter with “yes, we’re going to Britain”. I shouldn’t think they notice, but I have my own personal pc rules.

I don’t need to go to Britain any more. Last summer, I desperately needed to, wanted to, ached to, which in itself was probably a reason against. No, now I fear I almost need NOT to go. I might like it too much. The hermetic seal around my life here, a separate chapter, an interesting interlude, but not real life somehow, will be broken. I’ve invested of myself here heavily and genuinely. I haven’t pretended (well, sometimes a little). But I know deep down that I am like one of those old-fashioned toy clowns that children used to have, round at the bottom and weighted, so that they always bob back upright with a jingle when released by the chubby hands which bat them and hold them down at an angle. I do my best, but I can’t change my centre of gravity.

None of this is new, though, and none of it is rocket science, (or some touchy-feely equivalent of that – I don’t think rocket scientists would be all that hot on emotional analysis, actually). None of you will say “oh my goodness, Iota is going to Britain, and she’s feeling it’s a bit complicated, who’d have thought THAT?” You know me too well. And I don’t mind complicated, really. Not for myself. I do mind it for my children though.

I mind it for 10-yo, who loves it here, has grown into a life which he can’t bear to think of moving away from, and for whom the question “how long will we stay in America?” is threatening and best avoided. I know friends will ask, and I know if he's in earshot I will fashion the answer more for him than for them, pass it off lightly, and not look in the direction of his face as I do so.

I mind it for 7-yo, who is fiercely proud of his Scottish birthright, and occasionally comes home from school with an A4 wax-crayonned Saltire: “we had some spare time in Art, and she said we could draw whatever we wanted”. I mind that the place which retains a hold on him might live up to his expectations, and make it hard to leave. I mind that it might disappoint, and that afternoons with friends of 18 months ago will not be what he imagines.

I mind it for 4-yo, who thinks she remembers Scotland and her little friends, but probably remembers the stories we have told her, the memories we have created for her. I mind that she will adore the beach, and though the coast of Fife even in summer won’t be quite the same as her mental picture of a beach (California), she will flit about in her wellies and warm fleece (I think you can flit in wellies…), enjoying again the freedom and space and openness that I and she used to delight in, and now so lack in our impoverished hemmed-in suburbia.

I mind for us as a family, that we don’t share the same place in our minds when we root around for where we think of as "home" (oh, that word again). I mind for the family we have in Britian, who will have to say good-bye to us again, with a brave face.

Bother. I thought I meant it when I said I didn’t mind complicated.

13 comments:

  1. I think "home" is about the most loaded word in the English language.

    It is every bit as complicated as you are imagining to step back and forth between worlds. But it is also remarkably (sometimes shockingly) simple. Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful summer... see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this kind of complicated, well.

    In 3 weeks I will follow in a similar journey - for 5 weeks - and fear the exact same 'unsettling' you're alluding to hear. All we can do is take it as it comes.

    Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart ACHES for England sometimes. Parting from family and friends is the worst and only time makes it feel bearable. Sorry to be so down but I get horribly homesick.
    I use the term home for both Ohio and England. If I had a choice? I'd transport my Ohio house and job and friends back to Lancashire.
    I added your blog to my list of favourites - hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me many years to stop referring to the UK as 'home'. This despite the fact that I was brought up by a woman who moved so often that she attended 13 different elementary schools and who taught me to refer to anywhere I was as 'home'. Camping in France for the summer, we'd ask at lunchtime "What time are we going home today?" i.e going back to the campsite.

    I am very jealous of you getting to spend 12 weeks back in the UK! Every time we go we love it and think we'd like to move there. And then we remind ourselves that part of what we love when we're there is that we're on vacation - and that has nothing to do with being in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll hate it. It always rains and Gordon Brown is PM. But we can't wait to see you. Love Josephine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, a wait and see thing maybe? I mean maybe it'll feel different this time - for you at least. Sometimes a change of feelings surprises me - just a thought. But difficult for the children, obviously, settled happily in their new lives, their new home.

    And complicated is the nice thing about you I reckon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going through a little rough patch, being away from my 20something daughters (my choice). So your persepctive helps - it's just never entirely easy, near or far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been here 2.5yrs and have not been 'home' yet, just because I haven't wanted to. I do still refer to it as home, but to be honest it's not anymore, here is home.

    I know for a fact I could not bear to be away from here for 12 weeks, so I guess you can say I have adjusted really well.

    I think going for that long will make it difficult leaving again, but I hope you have a wonderful time with family and friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh forgot to say...I long for the Sea though...have a paddle for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. The idea of home is definitely confusing when you live abroad - I spent 2 1/2 months at "home" (NY) when I was trying to sort out my visa mess, but I was aching to get back to Glasgow, which I've started to think of as home.

    We can have more than one home, can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. After 18 years in the US I still say I'm going home when we go to England in the summer. I know I shouldn't but there you go.
    Very complicated yes, but I'm more interested to hear how you cope with 12 weeks there. I used to go for the whole summer but as the kids grew, there were things that we needed to stay in Chicago for, so it's now down to about 5 weeks. It's also knackering entertaining your kids for that long. They think they are on vacation, and I at least, feel compelled to show them a good time. I couldn't ever not go though, as they have no cousins here and absolutely love their English cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a wonderful time, relish every moment rather than dwell on the inevitable leaving again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so you're blogging again! How long did you stop for? Sorry I'm hopelessly out of touch. Have no computer at home. STILL awaiting our shipment 5 MONTHS since we left SRi Lanka. BUT daughter now in nursery so I can snatch a few hrs in internet cafe. Hoorah! Maybe I'll get to restart my blog soon......it's been too long. I need that outlet. Ah resonances indeed. Complex, aching,unsettling, leaving and cleaving (to one or other, or both places...)They say you shouldn't go back too soon. It unsettles you. Perhaps that's been my mistake. I've been 'home' to England 4 times in the last 2 1/2 yrs (2 were unavoidable)we are going this summer for 8 wks. Am not settling in Albania that much but dofind it easier beign away from home this time around.

    ReplyDelete